1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Ohio State shoot,lack of added money to nonresiden

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by pac118, May 29, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. pac118

pac118 TS Member

Looking at program from Ohio,Pa. and West Virginia, Ohio offers$475, PA.
    offers $5140 and WV offers $830. I AM SORRY IF I have made a mistake in
    totaling the pay outs. Ohio is the largest state shoot and has the lowest pay out
    of the three. Is there a reason I am not aware of.

2. pj 999

pj 999 TS Member

Even without alot of non resident added money they have alot to offer. All residents and non residents will have a chance to win a 2011 Chevy Cruze, $10,000 Blaser shotgun, 2011 Sport E-Z GO decked out golf cart & trailer, Remington 1100, John Deere lawn tractor, Rio shells etc. Some are additional entry fees & some ticket drawings. Plus good payout on options. Should attract a few non residents.

3. BILL GRILL

BILL GRILL Well-Known Member

Oh lord now your going to get those Ohio people all reved up! LOL

4. 1oldtimer

1oldtimer TS Member

We won't get revved up just because we got the best of everything. Oldt

5. BL350

BL350 TS Member

Dear PAC118,
    The added money at the PA State Shoot is a definite PLUS++++. The added money & trophies at all the Ohio shoots is very minimal. I love both places and shoot them when I can afford to go. They both have excellent shoots. I won't go into the reasons, just watch where all the option money is spent....or NOT!!! I.E... More than 1/2 of the 200 straights didn't even play the options on Sat 16's at the Cardinal Classic last year. I saved my option money for 4 days (280.00) and spent it on components. My scores only hit a couple of Lewis classes and they didn't even break even on the payback!!! I love the high level of competition at both places, but the paybacks are better at the PA State Shoot...year after year.

Jet X-Boat Bill...SV Life ATA member

6. DuckDog

DuckDog Active Member

A quick check at rjstuart.com shows the following for the singles championship event lewis payouts for the 2010 PA and OH state shoots:

PA 1152 total entries in the event 20 Singles Champ.

lewis entries 487 (playrate of 42.27%)

4 - 200 straights payed $121.00 each

OH 1158 total entries in event 11 Singles Champ.

lewis entries 587 (playrate of 50.69%)

2 - 200 straights payed $1,223.00 each

Two of the best state shoots in the country! Please shoot them both and all others if you have the opportunity. I only posted these numbers to show BL350 the actual numbers for both state shoots. I did not check the Cardinal Classic shoot numbers as the original poster was comparing state shoot to state shoot.

Don Cogan, VP
    Ohio State Trapshooting Association

7. DuckDog

DuckDog Active Member

pac118,

My appoligies for replying to BL350 and not to your original post. The answer to your added money question is found in the philosophy of what each State B.O.D. feels will attract the most shooters and create the best state shoot possible. Even though PA and OH are two of the largest State Associations neither enjoy unlimited funds. In Ohio we made the choice to spend money on things that we felt would attract shooters of all levels and family members to our shoot, not just the non-res. elite shooters. For example, we spend an additional $9,000 on the annual hog roast in addition to funds raised by selling hog roast tickets. We have a ladies Longaberger basket shootout open to all lady shooters. Our kids fishing derby is open to all at no cost. We do these things in an attempt to make our state shoot as shooter AND family friendly as possible. I wish I could tell you that I am 100% sure that our way is the best way, I cannot make that statement. Unfortunately we only get one shot at setting up the state shoot each year. We have the greatest respect for all those serving the shooters on other State Association Boards and know that they are also making tough choices on what and where to spend the funds they have available for their state shoots. I hope I have answered your original question.

Don Cogan

8. 1oldtimer

1oldtimer TS Member

Leo is a non resident at the OHIO S S. Ask him if there is any money available for non resident shooters? Clyde

9. matttrapn

matttrapn Active Member

DuckDog, Thank you for the insight. I have not shot the PA state shoot but hope to soon. Of course I am looking forward to the OH state shoot and all the Cardinal shoots.

Making everyone happy is a large task.

Matt Nicol

10. Barry C. Roach

Barry C. Roach Well-Known Member

It's very nice to have a lot of trophy money for everybody that comes to your shoot but the state associations have to consider their in-state shooters first.

Some states have a greater need for attracting OS shooters because they have few of their own. Ohio and Penn. aren't one of those. The attraction of their shoots is their shear size and numbers and the money that is generated by all the purse players.

I think they are right to handle trophy money the way they do.

11. Donm

Donm Active Member

Oh no someone said something negitive about the ohio shoot. The sky must be falling.
    That must be quite a pig roast if it cost the assoc. $9,000 even though they are charging to attend.

12. Donm

Donm Active Member

Oh I didn't know about the hog prices.

13. Bisi

Bisi TS Member

Ohio is saving their money so they can put it toward buying a new football coach.

14. Barry C. Roach

Barry C. Roach Well-Known Member

They really don't want a bunch of out of state shooters.

15. Trapboy1957

Trapboy1957 TS Member

Leo is a non resident at the OHIO S S. Ask him if there is any money available for non resident shooters? Clyde

Good one Clyde!!! JR

16. Donm

Donm Active Member

Barry. I have fellings you know. I'm not just another pretty face.

17. t-bar

t-bar Member

Come to the Ill. State Shoot. Participants in each event on Wednesday will have their name entered into a drawing for a gun. Winner announced on Fri. at the annual meeting. Added money of $5,000 open to all shooters on the Championship Dbls, Sgls and Hdcp. An added plus is they have the best trophies around. Don't forget the the complimentary meal on Friday, tickets will be given at the classification desk as you classify. Shooters and their spouses are included.

Bar

18. short shucker

short shucker TS Member

Do they consider Dr Longshot a resident or non resident? Just wondering.

ss

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.