1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Ohio State Shoot Calcutta

Discussion in 'Uncategorized Threads' started by Dr.Longshot, Jun 24, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Dr.Longshot

Dr.Longshot Banned Banned

Who decided that the calcutta at the Ohio Stae Shoot for Sundays handicap should be sold on Friday?

I heard numerous complaints from out of state shooters who wanted to enter the calcutta when they arrived on Saturday to enter the handicap only to be told they were too late.Such as Southern Grand, West Virginia, Kentucky, Virginia just to name a few.

Every calcutta that I know for a shoots Sunday Handicap is sold on Saturday night.

Dale Stanley the auctioneer said he could have gotten thousands more in the calcutta if it was sold on Saturday night.

I have to agree with him as I heard a lot of disgruntled out of state shooters that had traveled all night to get to the shoot after working all day Friday talking about it all over the grounds

What is your take on this, was it the right thing to do?

Should thay have sold the calcutta on Saturday Night?

Dr.longshot

2. foghorn220

foghorn220 Active Member

Dr.longshot :

I think I said something in a post even before I went to the ohio State shoot that the Friday night deal was a bad one because a lot of people are just week end warriors and don't have the luxury to take off a few days early from work.

Well I did get to go on Friday since our plant is on a 3 wek shut down this year but this time I wasn't going to play the calcutta because I have been shooting bad so I guess I can't really complain since I could had gotten in if I wanted since I was there.

My 93 wouldn't had won anything anyway because it was scores from 100 and on down but I agree about it needs to be on a Saturday night or even real early Sunday morning if there was enough time permitting.

Foggy

3. JB Logan Co. Ohio

JB Logan Co. Ohio TS Member

Next year the Calcutta should be sold on Sat. night, PERIOD!

JB=Jerry Beach 8503917

4. k newman

k newman TS Member

Or, at least publish when they're going to do it, and stick to it. Based on singles squad availability, and the calcutta entries already closed, I turned around and went back home -- shooting practice is cheaper.

5. W.P.T.

W.P.T. TS Member

The schedule for the Calcautta auction should be in the program to avoid any confusion and that should be adhered to ... Management always reserves the right to change, alter, or modify a program but it should only be done if it benefits all concerned and by cutting into the participation of a Calcutta by doing it on Friday evening as opposed to Saturday cannot have a positive effect on the outcome ... WPT ... (YAC) ...

6. oldgahchamp

oldgahchamp Active Member

I'm curious. What was the entry fee for the calcutta, and was there a minimum amount to raise a bid ? Larry Evans

7. 686beretta

686beretta TS Member

How much money was in the Calcutta altogether?

8. FLIP

FLIP Member

was it posted

9. guncase

guncase TS Member

I think it is funny that all the Ohio shooters want the Grand to come back to Ohio,, when the Marengo club can't even handle the State Shoot numbers without turning away shooters!
    Sparta can handle twice the shooters that Vandalia could. Just little glitches to smooth over. Paul

10. motordoctor

motordoctor Shoji Tabuchi in Branson

Hey Paul there are glitches at every type of event. Things went pretty smoothly. The power failure caused a problem. the weather a small problem. They could have added two more banks on Saturday by using the practice traps. Not sure who made that decision not to use them. The squads went pretty smooth. The 10 per bank on saturday let everyone finish before 7:30 in the evening. The shoot grew too fast BUT I believe they are working on that also. I enjoyed the entire event and the weather and targets were pretty good. happy shooting everyone and we'll see how thing work next year. Motordoc

11. foghorn220

foghorn220 Active Member

Yeah but this was supposed to had been Superior to the Sparta shoot's though even though it could have been less or more.

But I think Ohio wasn't prepared for it so im sure they had an ideal of what waws going on and didn't pre pare until the last minute so don't get on to Paul about it I thought it was funny also.

Foggy

12. motordoctor

motordoctor Shoji Tabuchi in Branson

not getting on paul. I also was frustrated at some of the things that hapened. I think they tried really hard and really hope they improve next year or even at the next shoot. Motordoc

13. guncase

guncase TS Member

No offense taken, Motordoc,, just an exchange of varying vewpoints!

Right,, no one can predict a power outage!! I'm sure it was handled as well as they could. I could not make it this year, but hope to have my life in hand for next year. Hope they are able to resolve some of the other problems.

I just think that before a monster undertaking like Sparta or Marengo, the people who are doing it would be smart enough to consult with some knowledgeble people to advise . Just cause a guy has money enough to make it happen doesn't mean it will be right. I also think Brad has been around the game long enough to know how to fix it,, if he is allowed to!! Most of the time a really sucessful person is one who surrounds himself with people who can make it happen.

As for Sparta,, I think we are stuck with Hampton,, another parachute?? Just more money wasted,,, in my opinion!! The problems were built in and cannot be changed, but Sparta's still the best game in town.

Just my observations,, I wasn't there in Ohio to see it !! Paul

14. BIGDON

BIGDON Well-Known Member

How come you are ready to condemn Hampton without seeing what he is going to do or has done??

Don

15. The Rock

The Rock Active Member

The OSTA has to get things on their end working a little smoother. The shoots run by Cardinal Center are hassle free for the most part.

The Cardinal Classic in Aug. if it is like last year will be 5 per post 25 per trap. And almost no down time between 100's in the 200 singles.

The size of the crowd at the state shoot this year kinda surprised everybody in the OSTA I believe. And if it gets bigger the permission to build a few more traps should solve the problem for the most part.

And for me personally, Hampton is in the best place for him IL.

Rock

Jim

16. BIGDON

BIGDON Well-Known Member

Yeah Rock; Aren't you the one that said the ATA had to give Fishburn permission to build more trap fields?? You're right on top of things.

Don

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.