1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Ohio State Shoot AAA Class

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by FLIP, Jan 7, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. FLIP

FLIP Member

Should this shoot have a AAA class?

2. midalake

midalake Well-Known Member

The Wisconsin state shoot does. It think it is one of the best things to happen to that shoot. Even better if your a non resident like my self, and your just plain sick and tired of seeing likes of Harlan, Ricky or Leo in your same class.............

GS

3. racer

racer TS Member

GS- so you are a AA27AA shooter that can't pick up a target or two and beat thoses guys? One thing to keep in mind, your in-state AA shooters that didn't get enough targets in will also get to play in AAA. Thanks, Dan

4. RAScott

RAScott Member

I would think that as a competitor you welcome the thought of beating them. I gotta agree with Dan. Bob

5. Uncle Sam

Uncle Sam Member

It's the second largest State Shoot in the nation....soon probably to be the largest....and no AAA classes !! If not there...why anywhere???....Uncle Sam, Pa.

6. Terry L A

Terry L A TS Member

Yes, I would like a AAA system. GS:maybe you need to practice! Trying to win a trophy by default is not a win. Beating whomever is in your class is a win. It takes the same score in AAA as AA and the same number of shootoff targets-only adds another set of trophies to the larger shoots which is important on a singles day when you have to grind out several hundred. Terry

7. tcr1146

tcr1146 Well-Known Member

No doubt in my mind! I have already talked to several "officials" concerning this! For example, 2 years ago I broke a 100 strt in one of the early events which immediately bumped me into AA for the remainder of the shoot with my lovely 96.5 average! I bet Randy, Harlan and the rest of the boys were real nervous with me moving into their class for the remainder of the shoot!! Tom Rhoads

8. Donm

Donm Active Member

If you are on the management end of the shoot it will cost you more which means you should raise the price of shooting for all that complained about no AAA. It also futher thins out any money, now that you take some people out of a class. People always complained that the top shooters take all the money. Well then only play the lewis. If you don't feel you should be in the same class you won't be shooting for the same money. If you are a resident most of the people mentioned are none res. and the added money usually stay in state. Non res. have their own. Like someone else mentioned if you are a AA shooter anyway it takes the same score and shoot-off rounds in either case. In most cases there will be alot more AA'a than AAA's and with numbers come scores. There will probably be more perfect scores in AA therfore more shooters in the shoot-offs for you to beat thus your odds go down. There are alot more reasons that a AAA is not always a good thing.

Your goal should be to become a AAA shooter anyway. If you are satisfied with being almost as good as the best I would consider that to be pretty close to being a sandbagger.

9. midalake

midalake Well-Known Member

Thanks to all who flamed away on me. But your dead wrong. My beef has been all along is, if AAA is good for the biggest shoot in the country it is good for the second biggest shoots in the country. This goes to the core root, that the ATA not mandating fairness for everyone. I have beat the best before and will in the future this is what the "champion trophy" is for. But for those of you who think that your going to beat these AAA shooters day in and day out, you could not be any more wrong. You really need to go into the average book and look at the averages. I for one am an AA shooter. I DONOT like being forced into an AAA shooting platform when I am an AA shooter. Most of these AAA NEED to compete at the state shoot level for their points. It is due time for the ATA to get off their A$$ and make AAA manditory at ALL state shoots. I do not want to be forced into AAA.... I want to EARN IT!!!!!

GS

10. Terry L A

Terry L A TS Member

Greg S. (GS) How many AAA do you shoot against at your home(resident) State Shoot?-Wisconsin or Michigan-? As said above, chances are the AAA shooters are competing in the non-resident side so no big deal. Terry

11. Gary Waalkes

Gary Waalkes Well-Known Member

Just information and to provide perspective - in 2007, average wise, Ohio state residents had 10 AAA doubles shooters and 25 3A singles shooters. South Dakota had 5 singles shooters and NO doubles shooters with AAA averages in 2007, but they have a AAA class at their state shoot.

12. SR1

SR1 TS Member

I have a idea just hand everyone in the shoot offs a field grade 870 and see where it goes from there. I doubt you will see a 700 or 800 bird shoot off but then again you might. Like my grandad said every dog has their day its just some more than others.

13. racer

racer TS Member

Gary brings up a good point. Now where is that average book. Wis. can't have 25 3a singles shooters can it? ....Dan

14. Bob Hartman

Bob Hartman TS Member

I've forgotten or maybe things have changed since I shot last, but I thought this was all spelled out in our rule book when you could assign AAA to you shoot. I think it used to be 1500 shooters before you had to have a 3A class. Would someone with a current rule book look that up. Wisc. is not big enough to have a 3A class. But who follows the rules anymore!

15. DuckDog

DuckDog Active Member

Thank you all for the comments and suggestions. The O.S.T.A. Board of Directors have a winter meeting scheduled for tomorrow and I am sure that the subject of a AAA class will be brought up. As has been pointed out in the comments above, there are good and bad things about having a AAA class. Just so that we are all on the same page, the Ohio State Shoot awarded 465 shooting trophies last year. Adding a AAA class would add 35 more trophies or roughly 7.5%. I am not sure if we would have enough AAA caliber shooters to make up 7.5% of our total number of shooters.

To midalake,
    I am not as sure as you seem to be that a AAA class is a good thing at the Grand. As for the ATA issuing mandates to the State Associations, I would prefer that they focus on the Grand leave us alone and let us run our State Shoots as we see fit. You may have guessed that I am not a big fan of "Big Government" intervention.

On a personal note, I was lucky enough to shoot my 1st ever 200 straight in singles at the Grand the 1st year they had a AAA Class. I was promply placed in AAA for my efforts. I then got lucky one more time and ran 200 more. I went to the AAA shoot-offs and got my butt handed to me, but I will never forget the thrill of shooting off against the greatest shooters in our country. I can't enter a tournament and play golf against Tiger Woods. But I can lucky once and shoot against Leo Harrison, Ray Stafford, Kay Ohye, Brad Dysinger and so on.

Thanks,
    Don Cogan

16. canada

canada Member

The Zone shoots have AAA class and there are not 1500 shooters. Ohio should have a AAA class at the shoots.

Pat Lamont

17. shark1

shark1 Member

No offense to any AA shotter but if you have to shoot against the big dog you better step up. No body is going to give shooters from A class up any sympathy. It sounds more like these people just want trophies and not the ultimate victory.
    I had the luxury or beating of a life time when I wrestled. I had to wrestle one of the best. I lost he went to the olympics, good memory, (better if I won). This was not an olympic trial match.
    Play to win, if you lose try again. I am not claiming that I can beat the big dogs but I do try.
    Mike Sharkey, DC

18. Setterman

Setterman Well-Known Member

Whether your AA or AAA, wouldn't you want to beat them all?

19. Bob Hartman

Bob Hartman TS Member

I found a rule book (1995) and after reading the rules shoot management can schedule a AAA class if they want to buy a few more trophies.

20. FLIP

FLIP Member

If a person in B class gets awfully lucky he can beat them all for the champion trophy.Well it looks like its a trophy thing.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.