1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Ohio Shooters-Get on the wagon

Discussion in 'Uncategorized Threads' started by AAA 27 AAA, Oct 17, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. AAA 27 AAA

AAA 27 AAA TS Member

The attendance results are out from the 2007 Grand American. By the looks of things, Ohio shooters are quite good at boycotting. Oh I understand that a few Ohio shooters can't make the trip for one reason or another, but the lot of you should be ashamed of yourself.

Am I looking at this wrong, but who is the ATA? We are as far as I'm concerned. Without the members of the ATA, there would be no ATA. Without members shooting the Grand American, there would be no Grand American.

It's time for you to get over the fact the Grand was moved to Sparta. My travel time tripled when it moved, but I still go. When I see shooters who travel all the way from Arizona, Canada, California, and Ohio participants are down to an all-time low for Ohio, I get sick to my stomach that Ohio can only field 314 shooters from a state that generally ranked very high in years passed.

Aren't Ohio shooters a classic representative of "Cut your nose off to dispite your face" kind of shooters?

2. almost unemployed

almost unemployed TS Member

I eat 'em raw!

3. bigben

bigben Active Member

Trapps, I don't believe that the majority of Ohio shooters are boycotting, it's more a factor of economics, The majority of Ohio shooters who attended the grand were 2-3 day attendees, who took their families, shot some, spent money with the very numerous vendors who attended than drove home,others made a one day pilgrimage with their shooting buddies, sometimes a complete squad in one car,most were not extremely accomplished shooters but had the eternal hope of shooting over their heads for one day and be successfull, don't forget there are parts of Ohio, Pa, and Michigan with unemployment rates exceeding 20%! The national average is now at less than 6%! Many optioned to company buyouts when their companys closed down and moved to Mexico and elsewhere! Sparta is 11 plus hours for many, couple that with motel and food accomodations an hour away from Sparta and you can see that these are not condusive for the average ata shooter.The Cardinal shooting facility in Ohio will continue to grow as it's much more convenient for Ohio, Pa. and Michigan shooters to attend. Unfortunately the ata did not take the average shooter's economics into consideration when the new site was chosen and I see no change in the near future as the midwest keeps losing jobs.I hope this gives a slightly different perspective from the haves to the have nots! incinerate em!

4. Capt. Morgan

Capt. Morgan TS Member

I agree with Ben. The number of shooters attending from Pennsylvania was way down and I was one who didn't go. Moving the shoot to Sparta simply put it farther away than I want to go to attend a shoot. And putting it in a part of the State where any accommodations are a long-distance call away makes it even less attractive. I think the ATA was interested in moving the facility to a more centralized location and the move did raise attendance from some states.

Morgan

5. smsnyder

smsnyder Well-Known Member

i think the cardinal center in ohio will grow big time. if they give out the same type of trophies they give out at the grand. any pictures of this place. i hear it is an excellent facility.

6. Tbonz411

Tbonz411 TS Member

Not bad compared to the other central zone states, so what's the point? Where's the problem?

7. perazzi03

perazzi03 TS Member

im from ohio,i was out there and iwas going to work on my suntan but didnt get out of the trailer ( aircondition ) eccept to shoot. shootoffs were fun along with the beertent. i did see alot of other shooters from ohio also

8. scottheid

scottheid TS Member

trapps, you are very wrong. I live 15 mins. from Vandalia and that is the reason that I was able to shoot the grand. Now that it is in sparta it is to much money for us to spend. I know lots and lots of shooters from around here and that is the reason we can not attend. It has nothing to do with being upset with the ata, we just can not afford to go. Simple economics! Scott

9. The Rock

The Rock Active Member

Quit blaming Ohio for IL problems. Quite frankly we don't give a sh*t anymore. I don't know what all the crap about it is anyway. We were told if we don't like it don't go we will not be missed. I don't see any problems. The Grand has a new home and it is a great place to shoot. Be happy with what there is. We are happy with what we have so everyone has what they need, or want anyway.

Go on and forget about it. Have a great time and go on with your lives. Ohio is just fine the way things are.

Rock

Jim

10. Bernie

Bernie TS Member

Where did Trappy get the loony idea that Ohio shooters were boycotting the Grand?

11. over the hill

over the hill Active Member

It was economics in my situation. Us Ohio shooters have been spoiled all these years. Ohio State shoot held there as well. Only 85 miles from my door.

Ill make it to Sparta yet. Gerald

12. 72

72 TS Member

Cardinal Center is building it,and will build it as large as it needs to be !

See you in merango :) :)

13. blooper

blooper TS Member

click on the above website URL to see where some of the absent GRAND shooters went

14. XTFreak

XTFreak TS Member

My question about Sparts is STILL why would anyone want to spend a week in the middle of a cornfield, with nothing to do except SWEAT with no relief?

This Ohio shooter can think of 10 other ways I'd rather spend my time.

15. phirel

phirel TS Member

Why would anyone not expect the participation of Ohio shooters to decline after the Grand was moved from Ohio?

Pat Ireland

16. AAA 27 AAA

AAA 27 AAA TS Member

OK Some of you want facts, here goes:

States Up in attendance:
    Tennessee - 295%
    Wisconsin - 140%
    Arizona - 265%
    Alabama - 185%
    Missouri - 230%
    States Down in attendance:
    Ohio - 375%
    Pennsylvania - 275%
    New York - 250%

Again, WHO IS THE ATA? Aren't we the ATA? Aren't we the ones who will make or break OUR ORGANIZATION? My point is not to attack anyone, only just to make some things clear about who we are. Ohio just happened to be the leader in participation in years passed and now they are the leader in the lack of participation. Seems odd to me that Ohio would have this many shooters not attending. One could expect a decline from Ohio since the Grand left Ohio, but not a 375% reduction.

Apparently many of you lack the passion to shoot on the world level, or it is more important for you to have a more convenient place to eat or sleep instead of shooting on the world level. Our organization's forefathers certainly did not see it the way you do. For if they did see it your way, the ATA would not have the member base we now enjoy. Are we in Sparta, Illinois to shoot or what? I can't think of any reason why I would ever visit the city of Sparta unless it was to shoot. Heck, I never new Sparta existed until we moved there. There's all kinds of stuff to do: Trapshooting everyday for two weeks to start with.

17. chessney

chessney TS Member

State shoot aims for bigger crowd
    By Jim Morris

Staff Writer

Sunday, June 17, 2007

Brad Dysinger has been to hundreds of trapshooting tournaments. And as an Amateur Trapshooting Association and Ohio Hall of Fame shooter and All-American many times over, he has taken home more than his share of trophies.

This week, however, Dysinger's trapshooting career heads in a new direction. It will be his first attempt at running a big tournament.Dysinger, 53, is the new tournament director for the 121st Ohio State Trapshooting Tournament, which begins Monday and runs through Sunday at The Cardinal Center in Marengo, north of Columbus on Interstate 71.

"I think this will be a great shoot, not because I am the director, but because of the enthusiasm I am seeing among Ohio shooters to come and shoot in our state shoot," said Dysinger, who owns and operates a shooting preserve in northwest Ohio, near Grover Hill.

He pointed out that since the Ohio State Shoot and the Grand American left Vandalia after 2005, the number of registered shooters in Ohio has been in steady decline, down 10 to 20 percent.

"I think there was genuine disappointment among Ohio shooters and uncertainty when Vandalia closed down," Dysinger said. "At this time last year, people didn't really know what to expect with the new facility in Marengo, so I think many people just quit registering targets.

"Each year, Ohio would have 1,200-1,400 shooters at the Grand American when it was in Vandalia. Last year, Ohio sent about 350 to Sparta (Illinois), so you can see there wasn't much enthusiasm."

The Ohio State Shoot's attendance dropped last year to 7,337 from 10,281 the year before, in Vandalia...........Ziggy

18. AAA 27 AAA

AAA 27 AAA TS Member

Jekyl;
    I guess I missed your thread previously. Living only 15 minutes from the Grand just simply spoiled you, and you're not willing to sacrifice as we did over the years when we were on the highways for hours.

I once shot with a fellow from California in one of the Vandalia Grands. He drove a motor home, along with a second driver. He began the trip to Vandalia a week before the first shot was scheduled to fire. In his motor home he had the guns of fellow California trapshooters. His fellow trapshooters flew from California and met up with him in Vandalia. Was this individual more financially stable than you? Just a guess, probably not! Was his passion to participate at the Super Bowl of Trapshooting greater than the negatives we often have to deal with? Just another guess, ABSOLUTELY!!

What are you willing to sacrifice for the sport of OUR GAME and OUR organization?

Pat Ireland;
    Did you expect Ohio to drop 375% of their shooters when we moved to Sparta?

19. ohiomike

ohiomike Member

Maybe I've had too long of a day,but is it actually possible to lose 375% of your shooters? It seems like a mere 100% loss of Ohio shooters would indicate no shooters from Ohio were there?

20. 45ACP

45ACP Member

If you had hotels within reasonable distance we will come. An hour plus and outragious fees are not acceptable.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.