1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Ohio-not honoring the new categories

Discussion in 'Off Topic Threads' started by tcr1146, Jan 27, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. tcr1146

tcr1146 Well-Known Member

I am surprised you Ohio bashers have not mentioned the fact that the Ohio State shoot will not honor the new categories?! Tom Rhoads

2. Setterman

Setterman Well-Known Member

Everyone ignores us. We're goofy. It's in the water.

3. K80433SC

K80433SC Member

And YOU just happened to see a potential fire burning, and decided to throw a gallon of gasoline onto it ? Hmmmm........let me think about it for a minute.

OK.....I'll bite. I am not an Ohio basher, and I do come to some of the shoots at Marengo. It is a premier facility, and y'all have every right to be proud of it, and to call it "home".

However......and it is a HUGE however......

The non-resident trophy availability definitely leaves something to be desired. And until the OSTA can "pony up" a few more of them for us "other than Ohioans", I can see why they are balking at providing trophies for the newly-created ATA categories.

And ..... I ain't bitching. I will still come to Marengo. But I've got to "call 'em as I sees them."

4. Uncle Screech

Uncle Screech Member

For those of you not from Ohio think of it as visiting your wife's in-laws from her first marriage. You have absolutely NO relationship to these people but they make you welcome, they put on a good feed, you sleep in the best guest bedroom, you can play with the dogs. But no matter how nice a guy you are you just ain't getting in the will. :)

Greg

5. trapshootin hippie

trapshootin hippie Well-Known Member

Why should a resicent get a better trophy than a nonresident anyways? After all, the nonresident had to travel farther to get there, making it more expensive for him to come to your shoot and not have a chance to win even a glass pickel dish and have to settle for a plastic one.

6. Uncle Screech

Uncle Screech Member

Dear Mr. Hippie,

They have that already, it's called "The Grand".

7. Zoltan

Zoltan Member

K80433SC. I was responsible for buying the trophies for days 3 and 4 of the 2011 Ohio State shoot.

To start with each class and category trophy were identical whether you were a resident or non-resident.

With regards to numbers, for event 7 there was a resident trophy for 4th and 5th place. Event 8 had the same identical number of trophies. Event 9 had a 4th and 5th place trophy for the resident. Event 10 had a 4th and 5th place trophy for resident. Event 11 had the same identical number of trophies.

So all in all over the course of two days the residents had 6 more trophies awarded. Please provide me some feedback on your state shoot for days 3 and 4 so I can compare how you treat your residents versus the non-residents.

Were the same number of trophies awarded for both resident and non-resident ?.

Were the trophies identical for both resident and non-resident ?.

Just wanted to see how we are doing compared to your state and how we may improve.

Thanks

Roger Edgington
    OSTA Vice Presient

8. jamesf

jamesf TS Member

Roger, now you've done it; confusing the issue with facts will not work! Bashing Ohio is much more fun. So be quiet.

Jim

9. nameisjoe

nameisjoe TS Member

Don't let facts get in the way of a good argument.

Facts confuse them.

10. double k

double k Member

Zoltan For those chasing AA POINTS if you will create a runner up in each category the size of your shoot will let the winner earn 56 points on each championship event half that the rest of the week and all you would have to give is a points pin for a couple bucks. This will make your shoot attractive for those traveling and chasing points Without it my 2 grand will be spent at a satelite grand or buckeye or cardinal with more bang for your buck. doublek

11. Setterman

Setterman Well-Known Member

doublek, You mind explain'n that again??

Next question: What good are AA points unless your in the top 10? I had some, and by god someone erased them on Jan 1st, and didn't even get an "atta boy"

12. double k

double k Member

Setterman The ATA will award AA points if a trophy place exist that fits into the AA criteria.If there is not a trophy place then no points are awarded.Most shooters seriously chasing points have enough trophies so they dont care what the trophy is only that one exist.Ohio is one of the best shoots in the country with the best competition but if you come in second you get nothing where the buckeye gives runner up so you have 2 chances at points instead of 1.I think it would be a greater honor to win second at Ohio than first at a state shoot elsewhere with 25% as many shooters.We all have so much time off and money to spend so you choose where you stand the best chance at being successful. Jr.singles champ. at Ky.last year would be 30 AA Points.Ohio 56 for runner up if one were created. Thanks DoubleK

13. daddiooo

daddiooo TS Supporters TS Supporters

Zoltan,

Nicely handled. For the complainers on here who have never run, participated in the planning of, worked on, selected trophies or issued trophies at a state shoot need to have the unique experience of doing so. They'd see a whole other side of that argument. I handle trophies for the Georgia State shoot and we NEVER give a lesser trophy to non-residents than we do to our home state shooters. All shooters are our CUSTOMERS and we treat them as such. It's our sport, but it also must be run with some business sense. Giving lesser trophies to your out of state customers is bad business.

Dave Hollingsworth
    VP Georgia Trapshooting Assoc.

14. Brad Dysinger

Brad Dysinger Member

Ohio has added something at this years shoot thanks to Kolar, On Sundays's handicap we are giving a Kolor trap gun away, this is how we are doing it. The high score from each yarage 18 - 27 and ties both in state and out of state will qualify to shoot off for a Kolar.

Example, if 96 is the high in state score from say 22 yards all 22 yard in state 96's would be in the shoot off, if 95 was the high out of state score for 22 yards all out state 95's will be in the shoot off.

So what we will have shooting off is one score, the high score in state and out state each yardage. This is a minimum of 10 out staters and 10 in staters shooting off but possiblely more depending on ties.

We will still be doing the Blaser Gun like we have and a few more new things that will be anounced, all open to everyone out of state and in state.

Non residents are more than welcome at our shoots, but we don't cater to the All American teams or All American points hunters. The ATA caped the Ohio State shoot's AA factor a few years back when it was apparent that Cardinal shoots would be larger than any of the Satelite grands.

The vast and I mean vast of number of shooters at Ohio could care less about AA points, they want to shoot for the cash, the fun, or the experience of a shoot at the Cardinal.

As a many time All American myself I don't believe the hunt for AA points helps the general trap shooter at all, it hurts the sport. Why should Ohio or any other shoot carter to an obvious minority of the shooters.

The reason Ohio has so many AA points is that we have so many shooters, not so many All Americans. The majority don't come for the AA points, thinking they do is wrong. In fact most shooters don't even shoot all the events, look at how many more hadicap and singles shooters any state shoot has than doulbes shooters.

As our shoots have continued to grow, over 1200 shooters in last years state singles, (with no SCTP kids to inflate the numbers because they shoot on Monday) each year why would Ohio State shoot change how we operate other than to countinue to add give aways and prizes. Even without adding a AAA class we are still growing, more catagories or more classes aren't what makes Ohio State shoots successful.

Brad Dysinger Ohio State Shoot Tournament Director
    North West Zone Director

15. Zoltan

Zoltan Member

Good post Brad. In addition to what you mentioned on Monday we will be having our "Pink Practice" and "Wounded Warrrior" day. With all veterans and former veterans who participate in our 50 bird program automatically entered into the shoot off for two custom made Wounded Warrior plaques.

We will also be having our AG day which thanks to our 3 sponsors will provide $ 9,000.00 in added money for the day.

Roger Edgington
    OSTA Vice President

16. double k

double k Member

Gentlemen Just trying to point out if you sell an out of state shooter 1300 targets at 30 bucks per 100 and the targets cost you 9 plus labor and all it cost you extra is a chance at 20 dollars worth of points pins guess who wins.OHIO Kenny

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.