1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Ohio man wins Grand trap shooting handicap

Discussion in 'Uncategorized Threads' started by Joe Potosky, Aug 18, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Joe Potosky

Joe Potosky Well-Known Member

Ohio man wins trap shooting handicap at The Grand American

BY LES WINKELER, THE SOUTHERN

SPARTA - Give Nic Galata of Medina, Ohio credit, he has a flair for the dramatic.

When Galata woke up Friday morning, he was an unknown in the trap shooting world. Before he ate dinner last night, the 26-year-old novice had claimed one of the trap shooting's most prestigious prizes, The Grand American Handicap.

Although he's only been shooting trap since May, Galata, attending his first Grand American, was the only shooter to break all 100 targets.

"I really don't comprehend what I've done," he said with a shrug. "I just started shooting. That's where we're at."

He was introduced to the sport by friends. While his friends have told him about the history of The Grand American, Galata admits he lacks the intimate knowledge the event's legendary status.

"It will probably take a while," he said. "I've just started shooting. It might take a couple years; I might be 60 years old, look back and say, 'Wow.'

"I'd never been to a registered shoot before May. I never shot birds, I'm a deer hunter, but I've never shot at birds or anything."

Winning The Grand American was something he'd never really considered � until after he broke the final target.

"No, not at all," Galata said. "I knew I had a chance to do it, but who would think you're going to break 100. I guess it might have helped me that I didn't know how big it was."

Coming into the event, he'd barely shot the qualifying 1,000 registered targets. Galata shot from the 20-yard line.

There were a few details concerning Galata's victory that might make life-long shooters blanch. For instance, winning The Grand American with a borrowed gun, a gun he'd never shot before.

"This is my brother's gun," Galata said. "I just started shooting a Remington today. It was the first time I shot them. They seem to work pretty good."

For the record, this was the first time in his brief career Galata broke 100 straight.

"This is a good time and place to shoot 100," he said, allowing himself a slight grin.

During the competition Galata was aware he hadn't missed a target.

"I can keep track," he said.

Despite fact that he had never shot in an event of this scope and despite the fact that he'd never broken 100 straight targets, nerves were never and issue.

"I just told myself to keep my head down and watch the birds and I did," Galata said. "I really didn't get nervous until after I hit the last one.

"I just stayed calm and I must have told myself 1,000 times to keep my head on the gun. That's it. I didn't think about anything else."

Whatever Galata told himself must have worked. He said he barely nicked two of the 100 targets, the other 98 were solid.

With the victory, Galata's name will now be listed with some of the sport's immortals.

"I'm not there yet," he said. "My name might be there, but I'm not as good as those guys. Maybe, hopefully in 20 years or after I've been shooting a while, but right now I'm not. My name will be there, but my ability is not.

The Grand American officially ends today.

2. tj303

tj303 Member

Another case of sandbagging! How dare Galata win without donating to the big dogs for years! The obvious solution is to start all new shooters at the 28 yard line and make them shoot for reduction yards, no more than one yard per year. This way only 'real' trapshooters will win and think of all the fun new shooters will have having to pay without a realistic chance of winning! :)

3. bigdogtx

bigdogtx Well-Known Member

What a nice story. These are the kind of things that make America great. "Borrowed his brother's gun". Bet his brother will never let him live that down. Congrats. Maybe I can do it next year. LOL LOL LOL

4. AveragEd

AveragEd Well-Known Member

I had an experience that lends some credibility to this story. A few years ago, I was at a 100-target league shoot when a friend's gun broke down. I happended to have my 870TC in my car and loaned it to him. He proceeded to run the remaining targets he had to break (something on the order of 45 or so). Things like that really do happen - even at the Grand, I guess.

Ed

5. Roger IL

Roger IL TS Member

And I didn't think anyone from Ohio was going to the Grand........Roger

6. Bisi

Bisi TS Member

Hurray for Nic!!! Didn't somebody tell him you can't shoot trap without a 10 or 15 thousand dollar P or K gun??

What model Remington was it? I hope it was a 1100, then people will really be pissed. He not only beat them with a Remington but one that spits shells out.

Good shooting Nic.

7. blizzard

blizzard Active Member

what yd. line was he at?

8. smartass

smartass TS Member

bliz, are you blind? I'll bet this boy just recently moved to Ohio from Kentucky. As everybody knows, all sandbaggers are from KY.

9. PaShooter

PaShooter Member

Well seeing how he did not play all the options except for the lewis class, can't seem to find any fault in that? It just happened to be his day, Congratulations!!!! Nice place to break your first 100!!!

Paul H
    Imperial, PA

10. The Rock

The Rock Active Member

At 26 years old from Ohio that no one knows a SANDBAGGER???? Any one ever shot with him?? Hard to sandbag if you have only shot a total of 1000 ATA targets. No one even heard of him because he has not shot the game before May.

But he was a up-to-date ATA member and had his social security number with him or at least knew it. Didn't want his check anytime but NOW so he could leave.

If you want to divide the handicap into different classes . If you want a 27 yard , 26yd, 25yd, and so on. Go for it. But then it would not be The Grand American "Handicap" Championship.

Rock

Jim

11. twopipe

twopipe Member

No 3 month newby with a borrowed gun has ever won a big skeet shoot, I'll bet ! Take that !

12. sunbroker

sunbroker TS Member

Congrats Nic. Great story. Awesome shooting!

13. X2 fan

X2 fan Active Member

frank c,

It looks to me like he only played the Lewis when you look at the payout sheet from R.J. Stuart. He definitely did not play the yardage purse so I would guess he did not play the 25's or 50's, not to mention the Ford purse or anything like that.

What's the difference anyway?

blizzard,

You obviously did not bother to read the entire post that started this thread if you need to ask what yardage he shot from.

Tim

14. monroesc

monroesc Member

Attaboy Nick!!
    We can attest for 100 of his 1000 targets at Monroe Sportsmans Club in Conneaut, OH. I have the results in front of me and it says 96 in singles, 92 in Handicap and 82 in doubles.
    Hope to see him back out at our place this fall and winter!

15. slide action

slide action Well-Known Member

Glad the guy won, and I congratulate him! It was a case of "just his day" I guess. Of course, if he had been from KY, there would have been a large number of whinning, cry babbies yelling "sandbagger" by now. I wish him well in the sport in the future! Maybe he can talk his brother into letting him KEEP the gun!

16. BAMA

BAMA TS Member

I shot a 99 from the 21 yrd line once to win a small shoot when I first started out so I know it can happen. You get into that "groove" that we have all experienced one time or another and you just can't miss. I believe that's what happended to Nic plus some developing ability in this sport. I congratulate him on some fine shooting and wish him the best of luck in the future.
    I can't help but wonder where grammie is...guess he doesn't know about this yet.

Bama

17. blizzard

blizzard Active Member

X2, aka Tim the Perfect. Can you please ever pardon me? How dare I read an arcticle and miss something. Geez, Tim why can't I be as perfect as you?

18. LLSCjrshooter

LLSCjrshooter TS Member

I happened to shoot doubles with him on Saturday morning.

He still doesn't realize quite what he has accomplished.

I do not believe he sandbagged because he only played the Lewis class.

He told me that he had shot a few earlier registered shoots from a penalized yardage and when he decided to go to the GA, he went to a marathon to get his targets in so he wouldnt be penalized... The GAHC was only his 1300 handicap event or so. I do believe he shot a 90t

19. Pony Keg

Pony Keg TS Member

Congrats Nic Galata,

The guy only played the lewis so I do not believe he was sandbagging. I believe luck played a small part. I am sure most of it was skill and patience and ignorance. New shooters are not supposed to shoot 100 straight in the handicap at any shoot and he didn't know that.

This was a shinning example of our wonderful handicap system. Any yardage can have a great day. That is why I run the card in handicap at every shoot I attend.

Jeff Warren III

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.