1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Ohio Letter

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by Robb, Jan 14, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Robb

Robb Member

Since the orignial thread was closed I think this needs another read.

Dear Executive Committee: With all due respect I strenuously object to how the above referenced changes were handled and implemented. The very idea that the EC acting alone would implement three new categories and offer a one- time two yard reduction to approximately 29000 shooters, without prior communication and/or consultation with the Board of Directors (Delegates) or the Central Handicap Committee lacks common sense, is bad business, and just plain dumb.

You say your new category changes are supported by intensive research. I find that hard to believe as the BOD heard nothing of these issues at the annual meeting this past August.

I would love to hear or see the intensive research that pertains to the added expenses to the State/Provincial Associations from the additional categories.

We all know that the handicapping system in use has many debatable issues that could be worked on or resolved; instead you just summarily decide to issue a one- time two yard reduction with no detailed explanation. Once again where is the intensive research?

Will we have another one-time reduction next year also?

Considering that two EC sponsored rule changes presented at the last Annual meeting were defeated by the BOD in nearly unanimous fashion, it should have been clear to you guys that you don’t really always have your fingers on the pulse of the organization. Obviously you have gone the other way and determined that you know so much about the State/Provincial Associations, the gun clubs, and the membership that you don’t need to consult with anyone but yourselves.

Why do you think that the Past Presidents Association proposed at the last annual meeting, that all rule changes (except safety) should be distributed to the Delegates thirty days prior to the annual meeting. It was to promote enhanced discussion and understanding of proposed changes. They also recommended that formal votes should be taken on each change.

I remember reading or hearing somewhere that the EC was striving to promote transparency between themselves and the rest of the organization. Unilateral edicts such as these changes clearly illustrate that there continues to be exactly zero transparency between the EC and the rest of the organization.

The BOD clearly have fiduciary responsibility for the organization (as does the EC), yet changes such as these exclude the BOD from participating in the future direction of the organization.

Eventually the BOD will simply be meeting once a year to simply fulfill a constitutional requirement of an annual meeting.

On the Delegate side, we really aren’t representing our members as we are excluded from major decision making. By the way, I regard these edicts as major , as they affect every member in some fashion. Although these two changes were made without thorough thought or discussion and are fraught with issues, it is not my intention to address the specifics of the changes in this communication.

However, by example if I take last years’ Ohio State Shoot Program and apply the same trophy distribution logic, then the new categories will require 108 more trophies, and of course accompanying shoot off expense.

Should the State Association decide against adding these trophies they will then be subject to shooter complaints. What if Ohio does have these trophies and bordering states don’t?

I understand that the EC is empowered to manage the association when the BOD is not in session, but I absolutely do not believe that transfer of management responsibility should be construed to mean that the EC has total control of the association in spite of the BOD. In closing, I fear that the EC has once again gone off on their own, which will result in more strife within the organization.

Always remember, the heart and soul of the association is the gun clubs and the membership.

On a personal note, I have personally known many members of the EC over the years; and have seen several of them change attitudes and behavior when they move from Delegate to Vice President. I guess I will never understand that change.

I also wonder why anyone would want to be a Delegate? It is quite a change from being in a State organization and working hard hand in hand with others to build something or make it better.

Jeff, you told me once that I would make a good Delegate – after reading this E-Mail I imagine that you would rather shoot me. I guess I can understand. By the way, this communication was meant to be derogatory to you all as a group and not individually.

Always aim a little high so as not to shoot oneself in the foot, Clyde W. Findley ATA Delegate Ohio

2. Border Bandit

Border Bandit Well-Known Member

Robb, if you think it's that important, why not ask Dave to put it up as a "sticky" so that no one can post on the thread and start the brew-haha all over again. He could keep it up for say, a month, then knock it down.

Just my 2C... mike

3. Robb

Robb Member

I get you thanks.I won't say anymore, I just couldn't see why the other thread was closed and I think Clyde made good points. Just trying to understand why and how things are done. Can't seem get it. Robb Harper

4. dead on 4

dead on 4 Well-Known Member

This wash is being hung in the wrong yard. ATA should have a forum as part of their web sight and members should push for this addition, this is not the place, to much slinging.

Surfer

5. grunt

grunt TS Supporters TS Supporters

This is the right site for the discussion. Trapshooters .com doesnt that mean ATA shooters who frequent the site cant have some of their thoughts discussed. People who don't like the thread should move on to another thread of their liking.

6. likes-to-shoot

likes-to-shoot Well-Known Member

I think the owner of the site has the only right to decide whats right for discussion on HIS website.

I would be willing to bet the other thread was closed for a reason and the disgruntled still bring up a new thread. LOL..Nothing like sticking your foor in the door and pushing your way in the house.

7. Hap MecTweaks

Hap MecTweaks Well-Known Member

LTS, I copied most of that thread and saved it in my files. Other than a limited amount of naming a person and saying they fibbed a time or two, it was nothing at all like some of the trash threads a few of the keyboard cowboys get away with here,language and such?

Hap

8. likes-to-shoot

likes-to-shoot Well-Known Member

Hap.......I agree there are some who get away with more than they should.

9. nameisjoe

nameisjoe TS Member

10. JACK

JACK Well-Known Member Supporting Vendor

Who cares. Let 'em shoot where they want or can.

11. shotgunpeople

shotgunpeople Active Member

Frank C

I agree, I went to the ATA site to look something up again today and it's down again...

I rarely, if ever, see TS.COM Down !!!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.