1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

OHIO CASTLE DOCTRINE

Discussion in 'Uncategorized Threads' started by crusha, Jun 12, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. crusha

crusha TS Member

And this Governor is a Democrat...

------------------------------------------------------------------
    -------------------------------------------------------------------
    NRA-ILA ALERT

Ohio Expands Right to Self-Defense
    Fairfax, VA-Ohio Governor Ted Strickland today signed the National Rifle Association (NRA)-backed "Castle Doctrine" legislation into law to expand the self-defense rights of law-abiding citizens. Senate Bill 184, sponsored by State Senator Steve Buehrer (R-1), protects the rights of innocent victims to defend themselves from criminal attack while expanding the rights of concealed-carry permit holders.

"I want to thank all parties concerned for working together to make this victims' rights bill the law in Ohio ," said Chris W. Cox, NRA's chief lobbyist. "When you're confronted by a criminal, you don't have the luxury of time. Under the 'Castle Doctrine' provision, if someone breaks into your occupied home or temporary habitation, or your occupied car, you now have an initial presumption that you may act in self defense and you will not be second-guessed by the State. The ability to protect yourself and your family from harm is important no matter where you are."

Also included in SB 184 are several pro-gun provisions that make Ohio 's concealed carry laws more "user friendly". Among these revisions include important clarifications for persons without a Concealed Handgun License (CHL) to legally transport firearms in an automobile, and pick up/drop off abilities for license holders in school safety zones. The bill also designates mandatory legal fees for gun owners who require court orders to have firearms returned to them, decriminalizes concealed carry in privately owned parking garages, allows permit holders to carry a firearm in an unlocked glove compartment or center console and removes the written test requirement for renewal of a concealed handgun license.

"The Castle Doctrine bill is about putting the law back on the side of the victim, the way it's supposed to be," concluded Cox.

2. BIGDON

BIGDON Well-Known Member

Common sense shouldn't have to be a partisian issue.

Don

3. Setterman

Setterman Well-Known Member

I was surprised Strickland went along with this. It's anti platform for a Dem. to acknowledge there is any benefit to gun ownership. Good for him.

4. David Knapp

David Knapp TS Member

Ted Strickland is from Appalachia, and a baptist preacher. He understands gun owners, and that they are not evil people.

Good Job Governor Strickland.

Dave

5. Doctor_Chicago

Doctor_Chicago Member

Great Job - Well Done

6. over the hill

over the hill Active Member

After enduring Bob Taft as Governor Ted Strickland is a breath of fresh air.

Unlike Dem. Governors of the past who have raised taxes overnite he has held the line so far.

Plenty of other needed work in this state other than picking on gun owners.

Regards...Gerald

7. Timber1

Timber1 TS Member

Can someone tell me if this law is going to help my case of the following: A few weeks ago Jon Kruger and I were going through my home town of Owensville, Ohio when through a red light my tailgate fell open and a gunstock blank fell out. As we pulled over and exited the truck to retrive the wood a local officer pulled in behind me and turned on his lights. He wrote me a ticket for unsecure load, and walked around the truck to the passenger side where we were standing and asked me for my proof of insurance card. As I walked over to the truck I advised the officer that I needed to retrive it from my glove box, and in that glove box I had an unloaded and holstered pistol, and that there was no ammo with it. To make a long story short, I ended up handcuffed and placed in his crusier. He then searched my truck and along with my pistol, he took a .22 minibolt rifle as well that was lying in the seat of the extended cab part of my truck. So along with the unsecure load he gave me two counts of improper transportation of a firearm.

8. noknock1

noknock1 Active Member

Does anyone know if Ohio will honor out of state carry permits for travlers?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.