1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.

OH vs PA State from specatator/shopper standpoint

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by skeet_man, Jun 13, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. skeet_man

skeet_man Well-Known Member

Will probably go to one of the two for a day or two just for something to do. Won't do any shooting beyond maybe demo'ing some guns, just attending as a shopper and spectator.

Been to PA Elysburg 3-4 times as a spectator/shopper (never fired a shot there LOL), never been to Marango (beyond driving around the club in the dark on the way back from Sparta a couple years ago). From a spectator/shopper standpoint, would I be better off waiting for OH next week (are there more/better vendors at one or the other)? PA would be 2 hours closer, but thats not a big deal to me.

The fact that OH has a bunker trap that will be open during the shoot (and may be a fun thing to try) and has sporting clays IIRC as well might tip the trip in its favor.

I have a pretty good idea from memory as to who's going to be in PA as far as vendors, does anyone have a list for OH?
  2. Pull & Mark

Pull & Mark Active Member

Skeet_man, you might want to try getting ahold of the club manager and find out how many vendors he expects to be there and who!!! Then make your choice after you contact both clubs and find out what big vendors, and how many total vendors, and how many shooters he/she expects to be there!!! Can't help you more than that, as I've never been there either club. Good Luck and break em all Jeff
  3. eperry

eperry Member

over 50 vendors last year in Ohio
  4. FLIP

FLIP Member

sounds like you want to go to Ohio
  5. fvtrkyhntr

fvtrkyhntr Member

Did the Pa state and the cardinal classic last year. The classic was much better and I'm told the Ohio state is best , will find out next week. Ken
  6. skeet_man

Strongly leaning toward OH at this point. Quick search shows a motel 6 for $40/night 20 miles away which isn't too bad (my stds are pretty low when it comes to lodging, if it has a bed, shower, TV, and AC i'm happy). Will try to find something a little closer when I make a definite decision, although I'm fine if thats the best I can do, I know stuff close to the club is probably booked solid right now.

Been to Elysburg, been to Vandalia, been to Sparta, been to Cicero, Marengo would be the logical choice I think (heck, I've probably been to more large trap clubs/shoots than most trapshooters, and I don't even shoot ATA LOL).

Sounds like it will cater more to what I'm looking to get out of it.

News article I found through google said 70+ vendors last year. Would there be a best time of the week to go? I know when I got to the PA state too early before some of the vendors hadn't even shown up yet, and when I went too late, some of them had already left. I'm thinking driving out the 21st and returning home the 22nd will be my best bet, late enough in the week that all the vendors should be there, not so late that some of them will already have left, and will beat the wknd motel rate hike.

I emailed Cardinal to see if there was a list they could send me, I haven't been able to find one otherwise.
  7. yakimaman

yakimaman Active Member

Not sure what Motel 6 you're looking at but if it's at the I-71/161 exit - be real careful in that area. I live here and would not go there any time after sundown.
  8. over the hill

over the hill Active Member

Yak is right.

Stay away from 71 & 161 in Cols.

St. Rt. 161 used to be the Premier, with about every restaurant you wanted.

Now, about everyone has moved. Rt. 36 (Delaware) may be a good choice for lower cost places???

Regards......Gerald
  9. skeet_man

This was the one I was looking at:

Motel 6 Columbus - Worthington #4442

7474 N High St.

I-270 At High St./us 23, Exit #23

Columbus, OH, 43235
  10. yakimaman

yakimaman Active Member

Much better locale - you'd be ok there.
  11. Brad Dysinger

Brad Dysinger Member

skeet man, if you can only come for one day I'd pick Thursday or Saturday to vend. On Thursday we have the HOF reception in the Ohio State Trapshooting Museum and HOF that should be interesting to you that you could attend also.

On Saturday we have the most shooters for the singles Championship, either day you can shoot sporting clays on one of the two sporting courses, or bring your bow and shoot the archery course.

The international pit will be shooting both days, so lots of stuff for a skeeter to do besides spending your coin at the stores, but I think you'll find the place a lot like Vandalia used to be. There is a good mix of tents and permeate vendors for you to see.

Brad Dysinger
  12. trapwife

trapwife Well-Known Member

Brad, don't be discouraging anyone from spending his "coin" with the vendors, you will start rocking the boat! Wish we could be there, but Leo and I are actually taking a couple of real vacation days here at Yosemite National Park before he begins his clinics and shoots the CA state shoot.
    Hope all goes well....Karla
  13. claydust0069

claydust0069 TS Member

That particular Motel 6 would be a decent choice. It has easy access to the freeway and there are a lot of places to eat close to there and on the way to Marengo. I have never been to the PA state shoot so I cannot comment but as far as the OH state shoot it has to be one of the best around. Has a great vendors row, lots of good food and a very helpful staff. I had an experience at the Buckeye a couple of weeks ago where I got caught in construction traffic and got to the bank literally a couple of minutes before my squad started. There was was no time to go to the clubhouse to pay. I asked someone on staff what could be done. They told me to go ahead and get ready to shoot and they would send someone down to get my money and ATA card. Very helpful. You will have a great time here.
  14. Brad Dysinger

Brad Dysinger Member

Karla tell Leo not to feed the bears, I bet Yosemite looks great this time of year. I haven't been out west to see the Mountains for years, I'll miss seeing you guys but I'll bet that most of the money shooters are glad Leo's not coming.

Brad
  15. Dbl Auto

Dbl Auto Active Member

Does anybody know if St Rt 229 from US 23 to St Rt 61 is still been worked on? We came in from the North this way for the Buckeye classic and they were paving it then.
    Doug Allison
  16. skeet_man

Tentatively planning on being there next Thurs/Fri.

Are there any other attractions in the immediate area?
  17. Brad Dysinger

Brad Dysinger Member

skeet man, if you are a zoo person the Columbus zoo is top rated, the Polaris Mall twenty minutes south of the club on 71 has every place to eat you can imagine. The mall also has shopping of course. Black Wing in Delaware, about twenty minutes west, has several skeet fields.

Brad
  18. bcnu

bcnu Active Member

That motel cant be any worse that the Royal we used to stay at back in the day for the Grand. John
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.