1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

OH! The real cost of trapshooting.

Discussion in 'Uncategorized Threads' started by shot410ga, Mar 3, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. shot410ga

shot410ga Well-Known Member

I last time I ran these numbers I was spending about $5K to shoot per year. Well, these are the new basic costs. These costs do not reflect ATA shoots, motels, food, additional fuel, or other misc. costs. This just represents shooting for fun or practice, with the good-old-boys.

Shoot twice per week. Two round trips @ 25 mpg, 53 miles per one round trip @ $3.15 per gallon = $12.60

50 singles (reloads) $3.70 ec. = $7.40 X 2 = $14.80

100 handycap (reloads) $4.30 ec = $17.20 x 2 = $34.40

6 rounda of trap @ $4.00 (member fee) = $24.00 x 2 = $48.00

Equals $109.80 per week

Equals $5709.00 per year, or $475.75 per month.

What can you do 8 times a month for about 5 hours each for $475, or $59.00 per outing? Golf, boating, flying, racing, I've done all of these and I can assure you they cost a lot more So I can and do justify trap shooting.

2. Mr Newbius©

Mr Newbius© TS Member

Get a hybrid and lower that down a little more and for that price you can get a couple of wankledoodles from a craigslist girl a week which is far less costly than a wife and far more frequent that you would get from a wife as well..

3. shot410ga

Mr Newbius: Wife is far cheaper, considering what the cost of getting rid of her would be. And, I like big V-8's. I do have a need for speed.

4. drh08

drh08 TS Member

If your car is currently paid for, purchasing a car with better miles per gallon isn't recommended. You have to include the cost of the vehicle upgrade against the money saved on gas. Of course you must included the up keep of the old vehicle versus a new one in the equation also as up keep on the old is going to be more than the new.

5. W.P.T.

W.P.T. TS Member

Try Bowling, Its rediculously cheap, is good for your health, is climate controlled and it never rains inside the lanes, you can have a beer if you want one while doing it ... I bowl with one guy who has so many beers his face get blurry so you can imagine what his speach is like but he bowls good and has a proverbial blast ... The targets (Pins) are reusable and so is the ammo (the Ball) which you can replace anytime you want or never if you do not want to ... I bowl on 4 leagues this year and the duration of each is 32 weeks @ approx 3 hours each (total of 12 hours per week and no waiting around all day or night), the cost for all 4 is roughly $1250 dollars for the entire 32 weeks entry fees plus the brackets and side pots which are optional ... Travel to and from all 4 leagues is no more than $20.00 per month in gas because they all are close to home ... The sponsors pay for your shirts and the lettering just so they can get their name out there to be seen ...The USBC has an awards program so you can win all kinds of goodies ... If you bowl a 300 game you get a ring and all kinds of other goodies besides a write up and your picture in the paper ... I have about 15 bowling balls, and the overall cost of everything is less than going to 4 state shoots would be for the entire year (season)... Last year over 45,000,0000 people went bowling and those numbers are down from the previous year much like trapshooting but not to the same degree by percentage ... I still like to go and break some clay targets but not like I once did and there is no way you can compare the cost factors of this or many other sports or hobbies to trapshooting if you are going to do it right ... You can watch it on the TV and or participate if you so desire, I rest my case ... I converted most of but not all of my shell money from last year, this year, and part of next year into a 1967 Plymouth Belvedere that will soon have a brand new Hemi under the hood and I can drive it to the shoots or car shows depending on how I feel ... WPT ... (YAC) ...

PS. This does not include the payout money we get when the leagues are over for the season which can be substancial depending on what place you and your team finish in ... Last year I got almost all of my entry money back and bowled on 6 leagues ...

6. Capt. Morgan

Capt. Morgan TS Member

In the winter I play in a table tennis league with several hundred other people. "Cheap" does not begin to describe this activity and the workout is second to none. For hand/eye coordination training it's great.

Morgan

7. Shooting Coach

Shooting Coach Well-Known Member

Considering the alternative cost of intensive therapy, clay target shooting is cheap. LOL

8. Bill60

Bill60 TS Member

But if you add the cost of the ATA shoots It is Alot more

I shot this weekend i played all options and the cost was $326 for every thing then you count in the 2.5 cases of shells i shot and i shot factory stuff beacuse it was a big shoot $150 and if you are a shooter who is serious and shoots 3 or 4 weekends out of a month that is between $1400 and $1950 a month and say you only shoot the summer and spring and maybe a couple shoots in the winter and fall that is about 7 months worth of shoots equals $13328 a year added on to your $5000 plus all the extra gas to go tothe shoots and there is the occaional BIGGGG shoot for a week that cost $4000 to enter everything it proably comes out to about a total of $30,000 a year to shoot trap and Sence that includes all of the options and you are good you will win some of it back I actually won $360.50 over the two days which payed for the shoot I think if I was going for the price I would pck somthing else.

9. The Rock

The Rock Active Member

It's one thing to complain about taxes. But when you put a price on something you love. I just shoot as much as I can and am thankful I can do as much as I do. I would rather shoot now than compete. Lost about all urge to shoot registered. Still plan to shoot the state and maybe a couple of other shoots at Cardinal Center.

But that is strictly for fun and I can say for the first time the scores won't really matter. When it ain't fun I go home.

Rock

Jim

10. shot410ga

FlaLagarto: If you'll note under additional cost I did include food. Considering the fact that my club only sells hot dogs, I don't spend to much.

11. Mr Newbius©

Mr Newbius© TS Member

What kind of ketchup and mustard do they have for those hot dogs? Do they have fresh maters and onions and such for the hot dogs? What brand or type of dogs do they sell?

These are all questions that needs to be answered to know whether or not you must factor in a higher cost for food at a shoot ... if they good dogs with good fixins and such you need to figure more but if there crappy dogs with lousy fixins then it aint worth it?

How much for the hot dogs?

12. shot410ga

Mr Newbius: $1.00 each. Onions, relish, mustard. They are not to hot, but eatable. Other fix'ins are slim.

13. grnberetcj

grnberetcj Active Member

As I have said many times.....

If I think this hobby is "too" expensive, I just march my butt down to the Grady-White dealer and price out a new 25 + footer all rigged out for offshore saltwater fishing!

The cost of trapshooting pales in comparison!!

Curt - Delaware

14. shot410ga

FlaLagarto: It's the Carb's man, the Carb's. Makes focusing clearer, sharper, and defined. Hot Dogs are truly the food of champions. Celery salt in it's natural form causes rapid eye movement, resulting in the cheek comming off the comb, due to eys being unable to pick up the target sooner. ERGO: Never eat celery salt on you Hot Dog. It's been outlawed from our club.

15. 7 straight

7 straight Member

Or you could move to new york, were it alway rains, or snow and wind at 30 miles and hour, so you stay home and save your money.

16. bobdog

bobdog Active Member

"Go Bowling" would probably lose.

17. Bisi

Bisi TS Member

When I was a younger there was a book out entitled "Europe on $5 a day". It was for travel on a budget. I thought about that book when I came home from a state shoot one year and wonder what it would cost for a budget minded shooter to shoot trap a day. I thought about writing a book called "Trapshooting on $230 a day" that’s what I figured it cost to shoot a state shoot, and that was 5 years ago. Now with ammo, and gas up I guess you could easily add another 30% to that figure.

WPT is right about the bowling and exercise. I bowled 4 games a couple of years ago and my legs hurt for 2 weeks. Who would have ever thought bowling could cause muscles to ache? After they started bitching at the gun club about cigar smokers I thought about taking up bowling. Seemed like the last sanctuary for the politically incorrect smokers and drinkers, but then they banned smoking in pool halls and bowling lanes in this town.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.