1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Oh! How I loved those Black Targets

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by Onceabum, Mar 2, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Onceabum

Onceabum TS Member

I can still see the clouds of smoke out in front of a trap house when squads use to go down the line shooting black targets.

I remember at one shoot when a fire truck showed up with siren screaming. A neighbor who lived near the trap club called the Fire Dept thinking with all that smoke, the place must be on fire. And, it was no surprise to me they were called because I was shooting that day.

Ok, Ok, maybe I stretch the truth a little but here are a few comments that are true.

It takes fewer pellets to break a black target than an orange one.
    I’ve picked up orange targets with anywhere from four to seven holes in them and no break. I never saw that with the black ones.

A black target in the air (angle or straight away)looks round while, many shooters, myself included, claim the orange birds appear to be oblong or having a tail. Also, you seldom see that beautiful black cloud you get from centering the black birds.

Obviously, the orange birds have certain advantages but those of you that haven’t been to a shoot where they throw black birds are missing something grand.

BB

2. Hooligan

Hooligan Member

Hey Booger you better come pay a visit down to Australia. At my club you can shoot those miserable black suckers all day during the winter and spring months.
    They really look just dandy with our grey sky background and against the cars moving down a freeway 400 yds away. If we get em again this winter I reckon the COM might get the flick!!! I must say they really look great screaming out of our Olympic traps. I do admit they are probably OK for that other sport - skeet ha ha.
    Orange or fluro white flyers for me any day.
    Run em

Barry

3. phirel

phirel TS Member

Black targets are great against some backgrounds. Green targets are great against some backgrounds. Orange targets are great against some backgrounds. No single color is best against every background.

Pat Ireland

4. pullhit

pullhit TS Member

Pat: I have ask several local shooters and but haven't rec. a definitive answer. Do you find any advantage to swithing lens colors for different color birds - or do you base selection more on background and lighting. what is your favorite lens color for most situations???

5. Onceabum

Onceabum TS Member

Pat is right in what he says though he does seem to have a penchant for the obvious.

BB

6. phirel

phirel TS Member

pullhit - I do not change lens colors any more, but I used to do that a lot. I now use only target bronze colored lens. Daro Handy got me away from changing colors several years ago.

Pat Ireland

7. wolfram

wolfram Well-Known Member

The solid black targets work out pretty good for us color blind guys, orange dome with a black rim is almost as good for me and they are a lot more popular with a most shooters/conditions.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.