1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Oh, for some shotgun talk

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by mallard2, Sep 5, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. mallard2

mallard2 Active Member

It is interesting to note, as is more and more the case it seems, there is more talk and less about shotguns. For instance, of the previous 7 posts to this one, only one is about shotguns.

Hope that trend turns around. Not that the posts aren't valid or interesting, just wondering if this is the place for them.

2. Brian in Oregon

Brian in Oregon Well-Known Member

Deplorable Bitter Clinger in Liberal La La Land
    OK, let's talk varmint hunting with shotguns. Anyone here besides me use shotguns for varmints, coyotes, etc.? My shotguns of preference are camo 1187s with short barrels and fiber optic sights for day and tritium night sights for night use.

[​IMG]

Coyote I shot with the 1187 during a deer hunt with my son. He shot the deer, then this coyote, which was following the deer, turned and came towards me. I caught him on the run with slugs. The 1187 is soft on recoil and fast on followup. I put two slugs in him before he hit the ground.

[​IMG]

Not bad slug grouping for a running coyote.

[​IMG]

This is the 1187 with the smoothbore rifle sighted barrel. This 21" barrel has tritium night sights.

Aside from coyotes, I also use it for gray diggers, which are Calfornia ground squirrels. In some places they are very wary, and a shotgun makes the best firearm. Good practice for small game.

For coyotes I prefer a super full turkey choke with Federal Premium 3" #4 Buckshot. At 51 yards it laces a coyote from nose to rump.

For varmints I prefer a super full turkey choke with 4 or 6 lead shot, or a full choke with 4 steel shot.

Aside from the barrel shown, I have its twin with fiber optic sights, and a 21" vent rib barrel (magnum only). Also have a 28" vent rib for birding and trap practice.

Notice the monte carlo stock. It's from a slug gun, but its dimensions are very close to the trap stock, though LOP is a bit shorter, probably to accommodate hunting clothes. All of my 1187s and 1100s have a monte carlo stock to keep the POI the same.

This shotgun is the workhorse of my shotguns, and is used the most. However, my trap shotgun actually has more shells through it.

3. Oregunner

Oregunner Well-Known Member

Go to the top of the page and choose "Category View". That sorts all the shotgun stuff to the top. You have to scroll way down to see the buy/sell stuff, and even further to get to the off topic and political stuff. Mark

4. grntitan

grntitan Well-Known Member

I thought the heading read "Shooting Related Threads" not "Shotgun Related Threads". I'd say anything that fits in the category is allowed.

5. Oregunner

It is Trapshooters.com, so even if it sorts all shooting stuff to the top, it is predominantly trapshooting stuff. I shoot all the shotgun sports, so I read most of the shotgun stuff. I just pass over the other shooting stuff that doesn't interest me. This is my favorite forum. I try not to read the buy/sell stuff too often, it almost always costs me money. Off topic and political almost never get read. My current project is updating an 1100 with a new trigger and monte carlo stock that I bought on here. How's that for shotgun talk. Mark

6. bkt514

bkt514 Active Member

OK, I posted a question about shooting after having surgery! So I agree...here is a shotgun question! Has anyone mounted a "BumpBuster" onto a very nice Ruger Red Label o/u 12 gage with 26" barrels? The LOP is 14 1/4" and I want to lenghten it and get some recoil reduction!! Thanks...Bruce

7. Oregunner

Give Ken Rucker a call.(see link)He can tell you if he can fit one on your Ruger. I shoot a gun with a recoil reduction system. It definately makes a difference. Mark

8. mallard2

mallard2 Active Member

Good points, all. thanks for clarifications.

9. cubancigar2000

cubancigar2000 Well-Known Member

I like all shooting posts - keep them coming but make sure to put them in the rtight cat

10. Martinpicker

Martinpicker Active Member

I agree. I skip over more political threads and crap threads to get to real trapshooting threads than I ever imagined! I would rather see a debate over 7.5s or 8s than Sarah vs. Obama!!!!

11. mallard2

mallard2 Active Member

Amen, Martin. That is my only point.

We enough hear about Sarah, Obama, The Fence, Perry, Tea Party, etc., every time we turn on the news or pick up a newspaper or magazine.

It is nice to read about 7.5s and 8s, K-80s, the Fall Grand, etc., for a change.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.