1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Oh dad, I can not believe you just said that??????

Discussion in 'Off Topic Threads' started by senior smoke, Sep 9, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. senior smoke

senior smoke Well-Known Member

Hello:
    First of all, I am a very conservative person as I am very set in my ways. My adult children get upset with me at times because they say that I am not a politically correct type of individual. Maybe it's an age thing, but I mean no harm, nor do I intentionally want to offend someone.

When I worked at the bank we had a young kid that was very short. As I was in the men's room one day this same kid walked in and I asked him "Justin, is it tough being a midget"? This kid got bent out of shape and quickly walked into the head bosses office and filed a complaint against me? All I was trying to be was sociable as I really liked this young man. I have forgotten what the boss requested that I call Justin, but I still don't know what I said that was so wrong?

I was telling my children one day that one of my customers was deaf and dumb, meaning she could not hear, nor could she speak. My children yelled at me like I said something wrong? I told them that is the term that we called people years ago that wear deaf and could not speak. Once again, they told me the correct term to use as I have also forgotten that term.

Years ago I told them that people who had mental problems were usually called retarded, and once again they could not believe that I said that? I am so confused nowadays as people do not want you to hurt someone's feelings. Obviously, I would never intentionally hurt a person's feelings, but these are the terms I was taught to use as a kid.

Years ago, we called black people Negros, than I was told to call them blacks. I told my kids that I have a black friend, and they jumped all over me once again, as supposedly there is a new term that blacks would like to be called? I also forgot the term that they told me.

What has happened to our culture that people get so offended for every little thing as I need a dictionary to even speak to people. I told my kids that I am fat, and once again, I said something wrong?

What the he-- is going on around here?
    Steve Balistreri

2. yakimaman

yakimaman Well-Known Member

Because those little things were always offensive but people used to just take it, just keep it inside. If you can't understand that maybe you're old and feeble-minded now.

3. WS-1

WS-1 Banned User Banned

I'm kinda with you, Steve. When we were growing up, we called them queers. Now they want to be called "gay". Whenever you see one of those gay pride parades on TV, they don't look very gay. I'm confused, too.

4. Shooting Jack

Shooting Jack Active Member

Other than calling the Kid a midget(LOL) those terms were the same that I was taught and were considered the proper terminoligy. Yaki, I don't think he meant that when someone screwed up they were called a retard. A real retard, or special needs, if you will, wouldn't know the difference. We didn't change terms for Blacks, the blacks did to make them feel closer to their roots as slaves. Oh and if you study history they had many more names that were offensive. Jackie B.

5. RobertT

RobertT Well-Known Member

Steve, I think were just "chronologically challenged."

6. bigdogtx

bigdogtx Well-Known Member

Maybe he was a dwarf and not a midget.....

7. superxjeff

superxjeff Active Member

That's true... Nothing a dwarf hates more then to be called a midget.

8. 51mgb

51mgb TS Member

Maybe he was a dwarf, but he wasn't Happy.

9. birdogs

birdogs TS Member

I once called a Chinese person "oriental" and caught a lot of crap for that. I guess I was absent the day they changed that to "Asian person".

10. Jerry944t

Jerry944t Well-Known Member

You need to take an old persons sensitivity training lesson.

11. Stl Flyn

Stl Flyn Well-Known Member

I wonder when Mexican restaurants, are going to be named Latino restaurants?

12. Hauxfan

Hauxfan Well-Known Member

Senior Smoke, I get in the same trouble you do.

Since when is a spade not a spade?

By hook or by crook, it has been that way for my entire life.

When I was a youngster of 4-5, my Mother told me I was to call a black person a Negro. Then I learned later that I should say African descent, and still later, African-American and that was changed to person of color. I'm so confused.

Right now, I really only know one person like that, and I call him what he calls me................"my friend".

I really don't see color all that much. If they are red, white, blue, yellow, brown or black, I see them as people much like myself. And I like to treat them the same way I like to be treated.

But you are right, things have changed since we were youngsters.

Hauxfan!

13. oskerspap12

oskerspap12 Active Member

They are still queers in my book.

D.P.Reynolds

14. wolfram

wolfram Well-Known Member

Politically correct nouns and adjectives mean the same as the non PC ones its just that not as many people understand them.

15. ebsurveyor

ebsurveyor Member

"right on" DP

16. senior smoke

WS-1:
    If someone told me they were gay, I would think they were happy about something???
    Steve

17. senior smoke

Anyone who knows me will tell you that I would never intentionally offend anyone. Maybe Yakimaman is right that I am old and feeble minded. Life in general was so much easier years ago.

If you liked someone, you called him friend. If you did not like someone, you just stayed away from them.

I have a black friend that I grew up with and to this day he refers to me as his "fat ass whop friend". How many times I called his wife and told her to get his black ass out of bed so we could go fishing, and she laughed and said your fat ass whop friend wants to speak to you.

How the world has changed, in some ways for the better, or is it? At the local high school the football team was known as the Redmen. Not one Indian complained as the few that live nearby, knew the pride the school had in that name. There were numerous non Indians who complained and they crumbled and changed the name to the Trojans. The only Trojan that I ever knew I would purchase from a gas station before I went on a date?

As I always ask my kids, am I always wrong??? They say YES!!!
    I don't mean to be.
    Steve

18. Jennifer

Jennifer Member

Steve you're not feeble minded, you just grew up in a time when people were tougher and had thicker skin. Now people are expected to walk on eggshells whenever engaging in conversation so nobody's feelings are hurt. I don't think malicious name calling is proper behavior but this world is becoming awful sensitive and I don't agree with it. Jennifer

19. halfmile

halfmile Well-Known Member

Watch black comedy and then try to justify avoiding the "N" word.

There was a TV program called "Queer Nation" a while back.

It seems that the only people that can use these terms are those whom it describes. Talk about a catch-22.

HM

20. senior smoke

Jennifer:
    Thanks for the kind words as I am getting older and forget more than I use to. I do feel that people are more sensitive today, but to be honest I have never walked in their own shoes, so I really don't know exactly how they may possibly feel. My adult children often tell me to get with the times.
    Steve

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.