1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

offset stock benefit ?

Discussion in 'Uncategorized Threads' started by weldon, Oct 3, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. weldon

weldon TS Member

Kolor home page shows many of there stocks offset 1/8" to 1/2"
    is there benefits to offset stocks. and if so what are they?

weldon

2. zzt

zzt Well-Known Member

For the same reason a parallel comb is good. You can put your cheek anywhere on the stock an the beads still line up. If you depend on cast off/on to put the butt in your shoulder pocket and your eye over the rib, you must be exact every time you mount the gun.

With an offset stock where the side your face goes against is parallel to the side of rib (straight rib), and the comb is parallel to the top of the rib, you have some margin for error in cheek placement, front to back.

BTW, a correctly offset stock cannot whack your cheek like a cast off stock does.

3. gun fitter

gun fitter TS Member

The benifit is only if it fits you. I'm not really a big fan of the Kolar factory stocks like many manufactuers their Geometry is incorect for most shooters. I think it is a very well built american made gun. Jeff's a great guy as well I just don't like their stocks.

Joe

4. ramorton

ramorton TS Supporters TS Supporters

Joe, I bought the Kolar Max Ta unsingle combo last year in Feb. I am left handed. They had 6 different stocks to choose from. I was scheduled to go up there and be fitted. I had to cancel due to work load. I chose one of the six thinking it would fit. It kicked me in the face so that my face actually would bleed. Sent it back to Kolar and Jeff made another. Same problem. Sold the gun to a friend and it fits him fine. Point being. If you want a Kolar, be sure you go to the factory for a fitting. The left hand stocks come back so far in the back from offsetting, mine was actually cast-off at the rear. Beautiful work on these stocks, but did not fit me. I really liked the gun, but it could have been the highest grade gun they build, no stock fit, no good. Just my opinion, Roy

5. gun fitter

gun fitter TS Member

My point exactly and that was what I was saying about wrong geometry. Dennis Devault in Ohio and myself in Nj fit and build quite a few Kolar stocks as well.
    Joe

6. SMITH47

SMITH47 Member

gun fitter

does the "wrong geometry" apply to kolar skeet stocks also ?

ernie

7. gun fitter

gun fitter TS Member

If it is an offset or twisted one I would say yes. I can tell you it is an indivdual thing fit but i can't think if any time when I would build a stock for a customer which looks like a factory Kolar stock.

The only way to know is to shoot one if it fits you great. If not or if you feel recoil you need a stock fitted or built for you.

The Kolar is a good gun don't think I am implying otherwise. It is in the same class as any K or P out there and shares features from both of them.
    Joe

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Search tags for this page

benifits of offset traps