1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

offset rib, anyone remember?

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by hera200, Sep 12, 2013.

1. hera200

hera200 Member

I remember seeing a short time ago on TS.com a thread that showed a picture of an offset rib for a right handed shooter who had a left master eye. I would very much like to contact this person to find out who made it for him.
    A gentleman who I am in contact with at a large club in Ontario, Canada and who has been a club champion in both trap and skeet has suffered a stroke and lost sight in his right eye. Being the competitor he is, he still wants to shoot but at this stage trying to turn left handed is out of the question.
    Can anyone be of help in this situation? THANKS MUCH....BUD

2. eightbore

eightbore Well-Known Member

The Carey Side Sighter has worked for me, very well, in fact. Crossover stocks work even better. My Beretta crossover stock was made by Wenig.

3. sawmill

sawmill TS Member

Contact Pat Laib at Laib's Gunsmithing. Phone# is 320-796-2686.

4. Border Bandit

Border Bandit Well-Known Member

The one Zard's referring to was made by Jerry for a very good friend of ours who lost the sight in her shooting eye. She's been shooting it very well for years with great support from the folks at Silver Seitz. If you're interested in contacting her, let me know.

best ...mike

5. Hap MecTweaks

Hap MecTweaks Well-Known Member

My brother lost his right eye in a construction accident and he too wanted to be able to shoot off his right shoulder. He shot left handed for a while but said sometimes he would want to pull the trigger with his right hand on the forend??

We put this one below togather and he shot some of his best ever scores with this contraption, off his right side! It took some adjusting to get it set for the left eye though.His left eye being a tad higher than the right when the gun is mounted requires an adjustment. Where there's a will, there's a way! Good luck!

HAP

[​IMG]

6. hera200

hera200 Member

THANKS guys for the info. I'll have to follow up with the gent in question and see what he feels he'd like to try but seems like you've given us some good places to start. Any other thoughts would still be welcome. TS.com sure is a great place to find helpful people! MUCH APPRECIATED....BUD

7. Hap MecTweaks

Hap MecTweaks Well-Known Member

BTW, I shot my brothers gun for a round of singles at the Marietta GC checking it out. I had to close my right eye to see if it truly worked as intended, I broke a 25 with it left eyed and right hand shoulder!

HAP

8. Dr.Longshot

Dr.Longshot Banned Banned

I suggested the Carey Side Sighter to a lady trap shooter at Air Port Gun Club
    she got one and has since passed away and I do not know what happened to the side sighter, her name was Kathleen Laurisky, if someone on this sight knows about the side sighter contact me or the poster looking for one.

Gary Bryant
    Dr.longshot

9. GW22

GW22 Active Member

Not sure who made this one but it lokks pretty professional:

[​IMG]

-Gary

10. shotgunpeople

shotgunpeople Active Member

Here is the one that was out in the THOF Museum in Vandalia. I have no idea who donated this, or who made it. Perhaps Tami Daniel the girl with the records would know.

Dave in SC

[​IMG]

11. eightbore

Gary, since you can't find the Carey Side Sighter that your friend had before her death, why would we contact you? If you find it, contact me. I would like to have another, since it works well for me, but it has to be adjusted for each gun you install it on.

12. AveragEd

AveragEd Well-Known Member

It runs in my feeble mind that Floyd Nattrass (sp?) made one of those a long time ago.

Ed

13. miketmx

miketmx Well-Known Member

Floyd Nattrass made the Super Sighter which was basically an elevated front bead and mated with a raised comb. Floyd still wanted to hold a high gun over the trap house and the elevated front bead allowed that without the rib interfering.

14. Ahab

Ahab Well-Known Member

Many many years ago, Alan Timney made one for a fellow shooter and it looked similar to the one that Shotgunpeople is showing.

Ron had me help sight it in on a distant power pole, then went out and shot a 99 (he lifted his head to see the last bird break.)

Lots of kidding about missing his last bird!

15. shotgunpeople

shotgunpeople Active Member

Ahab,

Unfortunatly I cannot find the information I saved that was on the hang Tag on that gun...I can say that there was some excellent machining that went into the build of that rib and mount.

Dave

16. eightbore

Mike TMX, did Floyd Natress build the sight for Susan Natress? If so, what was her success rate with it?

17. KennyRay

KennyRay Active Member

shotgunpeople.

The gun you are holding is a 1935 Remington Model 32 TC O/U that belonged to Horace Aldritt, of Excelsior, Minnesota. It may no look it but records have that gun as a 16-bore.

His picture appeared in the October 1966 Trap & Field for winning Veteran North American Clay Target Champion at the '66 Grand American.

Kenny Ray

Search tags for this page

gary nattrass trapshooting