1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Officially old - I'm driving a Grand Marquis

Discussion in 'Off Topic Threads' started by Bisi, Jun 21, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Bisi

Bisi TS Member

Never thought I would purchase and drive a Grand Marquis. That's the car my 86 year old Mother drives. Not my style.

Well anyway, for the last year or so I've been thinking about buying a road car. I've got an F250 that will only ride smooth if it has a ton of weight in the back and it sucks gas like it is going out of style. I've also got a 20 year old Mustang that is fun to drive but no room for shotguns etc.. So I was looking for something in between. I was thinking about a used Caddy, maybe a CTS, of if I could find an SHO Taurus, anything but a Grand Marquis, that's what old women like my Mom drive.

Woke up one morning an the lady across the street had a Grand Marquis in her drive with a for sale sign on it. It sat there for a week so. One morning while bringing the paper in I walked across the street and looked at it. Nice an clean, turns out it is her Dad's who has quit driving. So I ended up buying it.

Let me tell you about this non descript cookie cutter car. I drove it to a shoot the other day, stopped and picked up my shooting buddy. We had 4 shotguns, 600 shells, a couple of shooting bags, and 2 lawn chairs and cooler in THE TRUNK. I sat it on cruise at 75mph and it just floated down the highway. like sitting in your chair in the living room. Haven't figured mileage yet. I've put over 200 miles on it and the gauge is around half full. Beats the hell out of the F250.

You know it ain't really that bad looking either. I don't what all us old coogers are going to do in the coming years because Ford drop it.

Who knows when it comes tire time I might spring for a a new set of wheels. Jazz it up - maybe 20s??????

gotta go. Going head to Sears and buy some white shoes and a white belt. Then I got a coupon for "Dennys". Tommorow - I think I'll start looking for a place in Boca.

2. Ross

Ross Well-Known Member

That's the same model car my father-in-law drove for many years, his had the Ford 302 in them and got in the low 20 mpg range on the interstates, he loved them I think he had 2 or 3 of them over the years I'll bet the more you drive it the more you're going to like it. Ross

3. CalvinMD

CalvinMD Well-Known Member

Same car as the Crown Vicky Ford...theres a reason they are the most popular police cruiser and taxi vehicles...very safe and bulletproof ..roomy and fairly thrifty on fuel...I wanted a Merc Marauder when they came out in 2003...missed my chance...still might buy a nice retired police special if one comes my way

4. bcnu

bcnu Active Member

Big older cars are the best buy out there. Comfortable to drive and ride in, still decent on gas, resale sucks on pretty much everything so they are not too expensive. I bought an old Eldorado and love it. Ij won't ever look back lol. John

5. BigM-Perazzi

BigM-Perazzi Well-Known Member

Just keep some jb weld for the oil pan and I have a fuel line system in the rafters when the gas line rots out...

Otherwise road cruisers...

6. Tron

Tron Supporting Vendor Supporting Vendor

Great cars and not much goes wrong with them. The modular engines (4.6L) have tight tolerances and need the oil to be very clean, so change at regular intervals and you'll be fine.

7. tinylo

tinylo TS Member

I drove crown vics/LTDs from age 18 through 44, and then switched to sportier cars. There are a lot of young men driving old Vics these days (besides taxis and cops!)

8. cubancigar2000

cubancigar2000 Well-Known Member

I have my mothers 1993 Crown Vic. Got it with 73,000 on it 3 years ago. 25 mpg on the hwy and 20-21 in town, rides like a limo, comfortable and has been fairly trouble free. I replaced the mass air sensor, oil pressure ending unit ( which I disovered later it was just a loose wire) and other than that it is a great car. Like tron says, they sludge up easy so change the oil regularly. In my case she left it in Florida at her condo for years and only drove it a few months a year so it was sludged up but I took off the pan & cleaned it and ran sea foam through it for a few thousand and the oil is clean. Just an all around good car that I wish they still made. addition - The EGR valves are prone to freeze up. It is about a $350 job. In my case it is stuck closed so the car runs fine and so far passes emissions. If they stick open, it will affect driveability

9. seitz10

seitz10 Member

You just purchased the best road car out there. I bought 2004 ultimate edition on a whim in fall of 2004 and still driving it. You can haul a ton in it, and have gotten up to 33 miles per gallon. Generally makes 28-30 miles per gallon on a regular basis. I am now looking for a 2011 last year they made them. Best car I have ever own. Have 140000 miles and runs better then ever. Just due the maintenance and they run forever.

10. mixer

mixer Well-Known Member

Had a chance to buy a 2005 GM with 4k miles on it 2 years ago until the owner lost control and put it through the side of a house. She was ok but the car was totaled.

Eric

11. wolfram

wolfram Well-Known Member

I rented a Crown Vic a few months ago on a business trip. Very nice ride with good handling and decent power. Yea, maybe we are turning into the grey haired bunch but what the heck there is more than hot rods and pickups out there. I'll bet my GSPs would love to ride in the back seat of one of these!

12. CalvinMD

They can still look cool with a nice set of wheels...yeah baby! Then go for the air ride and hop that front end into the gun range to give you some street cred!

13. Big Heap

Big Heap TS Member

Reminds me of my '40 V-12 Lincoln. They still make Lincolns - maybe pretty much like Mercurys.

14. Steve W

Steve W Well-Known Member

I think that's the last generation of "Body of Frame" sedan in America. An old but well proven design. I always liked the Crown Vic, but never had a chance to own one.

I wouldn't put 20" on a Grand Marquis, couple sets of tires cost will exceed vehicle value. LOL.

15. Easystreet

Easystreet Well-Known Member

I would definitely own one if they just set a little higher off the road like an SUV. I HATE stooping down to get into a car and then having to climb back up out of them. I can do it, but my knees just don't like it. Also, for long driving sessions, I like a more upright sitting position since it's easier and better for the back.

I've owned a Grand Marquis and a Ford Crown Vic or two about 25 to 30 years ago. Also had a Dodge Magnum (1978 model I think). I loved those big comfortable cars, but today, I'll take a nice comfortable SUV (such as a Toyota Highlander) over a big sedan. It's easier getting into and out of the SUV, plus the storage area is at a more comfortable height on the SUV. It's easy to hurt your back trying to lift something heavy out of the trunk of a sedan. Been there, done that, don't want to do it again.

BUT, if I had to drive a sedan, the Grand Marquis would be on the top of my list.

16. CalvinMD

unfortunantly they killed the Town Car too Big Heap...but the rest of the new Lincolns are pretty nice...I love the new Taurus SHO but now that I'm a teenier person I'm hoping to win Lotto to buy a Boss 302

17. senior smoke

senior smoke Well-Known Member

My elderly mother drives a 1978 Olds Delta 98. Show room condition, with plastic over the leather seats. No one has ever sat in the back seat. The car has never been on the expressway. She has 48,000 miles on it. Has never been driven in snow. I will someday get the car, and first thing I will do is take it on the expressway. It is the size of a boat.
    Steve Balistreri

18. willing

willing Member

MY wifes car is a 2004 G M with less than 60k. She kiNda wants a SUV, but the Marquis is stil just like new. We drove it to FLa once. It just floats down the highway. I want to stick with it a few more years. It would be hard to find anything better.

Bill

19. Leo

Leo Well-Known Member

ShHHHH! Quit talking about Grand Marquis'. It is the best kept secret on the road. Smooth, quite, Comfortable, dependable. 19 MPG in town, 25 plus on the highway. Not a car that gets stolen. $15K less than a Lincoln. Since they stopped making them, if everyone finds out how great they are, the price will be driven up. I have to get another one before they become "collectable Classics"

20. Brian in Oregon

Brian in Oregon Well-Known Member

Deplorable Bitter Clinger in Liberal La La Land
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.