1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

"Official" POI Yardage

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by DanP, Oct 11, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. DanP

DanP Member

What is the "Official" POI yardage? I have seen 30 and 40 yards bantered about quite a bit. The reason I ask, is that I am trying to relate the POI to a height at a certain yardage. I have seen many advertised guns like Ljutic that claim a 70/30 or 80/20, but was wondering what that relates to a height above POA. I am a very fast shooter, so I was trying to relate to real world conditions.

Also, what is the drop in shot at 30/40 yards assuming 1250fps?

Just curious,

Thanks,

Dan

2. wayneo

wayneo Active Member

I have always heard 40 yards. But I don't know if it's written in stone.

I do know, size 7-1/2 shot at 1240 fps. drops 3.6" at 40 yards.

Wayne

3. crusha

crusha TS Member

31 yards, 6 inches.

...anybody who tells you otherwise is just making it up.

4. jimrich60

jimrich60 Member

There is no absolute POI "range". Generally it seems to be considered around 40 yards, but that is certainly not accepted by all. In actuallity, the POI range is best set at the typical range you are shooting at. So a skeet gun POI would likely be judged at a distance around 25 yards, a trap gun probably around 35 yards would work well since that is a typical distance for singles break points. But set you POI for the range you expect to break targets normally for a given sport.

Jim R

5. Setterman

Setterman Well-Known Member

At 30 yards, a full choke throws a 20" to 22" pattern. It is easy to find the center of the pattern and determine the POI.

Most gun dealers and manufacturers use at POI at 40 yards. The "70/30" or "80/20" stuff is not a good system because there can be a lot of facial dimensions that can change bead alignment which is also used in determining POI.

I prefer "it shoots 10" high at 30 yards with a figure 8 bead alignment".

6. halfmile

halfmile Well-Known Member

I had fixed in my mind (from some book somewhere) distances of 34 yards for 16 yard and 40 for Handicap. These were patterning distances but should in my mind also be used for POI, since that's approximately where the shot meets the target (most of the time).

HM

7. Jawhawker

Jawhawker TS Member

Neil and Pat say 13 yds and three times the money (slight variance but not enough to matter) will give the actual POI. I've always done it at 20 yds and two times the money. The reason you shoot at these distances is that the actual center can be determined.

Industry standard is (unless changed) 40 yds. At this distance and firing only one shot per target, you had better understand how to read patterns efficiently inorder to determine your objective should you desire a percise calculation.

8. zzt

zzt Well-Known Member

Dan, when discussing POIs in percentages, 40 yards is the official (and only correct) yardage. Also, the number of pellets above and below the POA are not counted. What 70/30 actually means is that 70% of a stylized 30" diameter pattern is above the Point of Aim at 40 yards.

That being said, most do not understand this. So you are much better off saying my gun shoots 6" @ 40 yards, or 6" high @ 30 yards than giving percentages.

9. Dr.Longshot

Dr.Longshot Banned Banned

My Hdcp shot is between 30-35 yards, well before the target peaks. That is one reason I shoot a High Shooting Gun, I am shooting at it on the rise.

A shooter who shoots at the Target at it's peak, generally shoot a 60/40-70/30
    POI gun.

Shooters like Pat McCarthy, Harlan Campbell, Randy Ross, Ray Stafford, just to name a few, shoot targets more quickly and shoot a higher POI Gun,

I wonder if the top dogs would post their Hdcp POI on their guns?
    I will ask and see.

Gary Bryant
    Dr.longshot

10. BigM-Perazzi

BigM-Perazzi Well-Known Member

Gary. Really? Your at 27 right? So your telling us you shoot that 42 mph bird 3 to 5 yards out of the house? I'm betting you can't see it till its at 28-29 yards away.. Tell me my math is wrong. Please..

Jim

11. DanP

DanP Member

Thank you for all of the information - very helpful. I would be very interested in what the Pro's POI are.

The shot drop is a bit eye-opening, never figured it would influence much. However, if you pattern at 10 or 12 yds, you would have to add in a drop of more than 3.5" at 40-yds. That might equate a difference of over 10% of POI change.

Dan

12. Hap MecTweaks

Hap MecTweaks Well-Known Member

DanP, don't worry about shot drop. Hap

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Search tags for this page

harlan campbell poi