1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

OFF TOPIC: I am going to Amsterdam!

Discussion in 'Uncategorized Threads' started by famill00, Mar 3, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. famill00

famill00 TS Member

Anyone been to Amsterdam? Got any suggestions on stuff to do besides smoke pot and pay for cheap hookers? Besides...with the value of the dollar...the hookers arent so cheap! My very modest hotel room will cost 130 american dollars, or 86 euros. It looks tiny on the internet pics. This is my first trip out of the country and I want to make the most of sightseeing when I am not in the training classes. It is a business trip but I want to sightsee and have fun along the way!

Forrest

2. pendennis

pendennis Well-Known Member

You could add some nice Dutch beer. Then you could have booze, drugs, and sex. What else could a man need?

<):)

Best,
    Dennis

3. Snookassassin

Snookassassin Member

Hey fami1100, enjoy yourself in Europe.
    Your room will probably be even smaller than you thought. A single room really means one person only. This is something you will have to get used to. Other than that, you will find a lot of very interesting things to do there.
    If you get a chance, go to a couple of the Closters (monasteries), they are beautiful and they have the best beer. Take a trip to Germany. Dusseldorf and Rheinfels are pretty close. You will love it.
    Snookassassin, AKA Clif Adams

4. Shooting Coach

Shooting Coach Well-Known Member

When in Amsterdam, make SURE you go to Vondel Park. The tulips, gardening and scenery are without equal. Also, without fail, go to the Museum. It has stuff that goes back millenia. Getting in on a toured bicycle ride is great, if you are in shape. The riding is good, the scenery is memorable. If you take a digital camera, take several huge chips for it and a spare battery, with charger. You can get a European adaptor there.

The climate is comparable to Maine.

If you must indulge in substances, be aware that upon leaving Holland, the security and such at the port of entry/debarkation has little sense of humor if the dogs alert on drug smell on your clothes or luggage. BTW, the coffee shops sell more than coffee! LOL

If you are subject to a random drug test in the states, that stuff lingers in your system for quite a while. (second hand info)

If you are single and with friends, it is fascinating to walk through the Red Light District. However, partaking of local delights is at your own risk. When I was there, I saved my money for other things.

Forty years ago, Hessing Union Beer was made for Americans, is best served cold, has a wonderful taste, and a WALLOP.

If I were ever to travel abroad again, which is not likely, I would return to Holland. Scrap France and Germany.

5. phirel

phirel TS Member

Holland is great. It is almost as nice as Ireland and Scotland. Rooms are expensive and small. Sharing bathrooms is not uncommon. Food is great. I concentrate on museums, castles and old churches. I love history. Unfortunately, the outstanding gun maker, Holland and Holland, is not in Holland.

Pat Ireland

6. HSLDS

HSLDS Well-Known Member

If you like flowers - depending on when you go - check out the Keukenhof - Millions of flowers (http://www.keukenhof.nl/nm/english.html)

If mechanical/engineering stuff is more your deal check out the Delta Works (http://www.deltawerken.com/English/10.html?setlanguage=en) - the scale alone will take your breath away.

History/military?? - Check out Waterloo

Enjoy the trip,

David D

7. Dutchboy

Dutchboy TS Member

For one thing, buy Anne Frank's diary, and read it on the plane over, and then go see the Anne Frank museum.

The Red Light District is interesting, but it's never been more than a curiosity to me. There are several good theaters to choose from, and a multitude of museums. A canal boat tour is a good way to get an impression of the old city.

For nightlife, the standard Dutch local hangout is the "brown cafe", which is a little dive bar where people hang out and argue everything from politics to the meaning of life. The beer is usually cheap, and 'bout everyone speaks passable English. Don't expect them to be polite when telling you about their opinion of American politics..... Dutch.

8. W.P.T.

W.P.T. TS Member

I have not been there but my kid brother has been several times, he said the best thing about it was window shopping and the beautiful Dutch ladies, besides the pubs and museums ... He did say that drugs are legal there but that you cannot take them home with you, same thing with the ladies in the windows ... WPT ... (YAC) ...

9. birdogs

birdogs TS Member

You are going to love the food - NOT! try thr French fries with mayonaise - yuck. If you like dairy - especiially cheese, you will do OK. Otherwise, go on a diet until you reach another country.

10. Mr Newbius©

Mr Newbius© TS Member

See if they have a local trap club and give them a lesson or two on shooting Amercian style trap.

11. Shooting Coach

Shooting Coach Well-Known Member

Dear Ran200

You are INDEED a wonderful role model. LOL

12. Bruce Specht

Bruce Specht Well-Known Member

Spend your travle dollars wisely, get twisted on weed and go for the inexpensive hookers. Save sightseeing for when that's all you can do!

13. white rattler

white rattler Member

wear a rubber. Trevor Dawe.

14. bigbore613

bigbore613 Active Member

15. jakearoo

jakearoo Active Member

Amsterdam has all kinds of interesting things besides hookers and dope. You should visit the Rijksmuseum. It is essentially the national museum and is loaded with wonderful art including lots of Rembrants. And, the Van Gough museum is amazing. So many Van Gough paintings that your head will be spinning. Sounds like fun. Jake

16. famill00

famill00 TS Member

Yeah I am not into the drugs thing and my girlfriend probably wouldn't appreciate me getting cheap hookers. Thanks for the heads up on the museums and flower gardens and things though!

Forrest

17. Cat Fish

Cat Fish Member

In addition to some of the recommendations already given, I’d highly suggest visiting the flower auction. Although it doesn’t sound sexy, it’s well worth the time.
    Flowers grown yesterday in Holland, sold at auction today will be in Boston or New York tomorrow for sale.
    It’s kind of like Wall Street for flowers.
    Take a bus tour. Visit the World Court.

Have fun.

Bill

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.