1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Off-Topic:Chainsaw help please.....

Discussion in 'Uncategorized Threads' started by CrazyDave, Nov 11, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. CrazyDave

CrazyDave TS Member

My Stihl 017 has been laid up for a couple of years. I prepared it for storage in the usual way and it re-started easily. The problem is that the clutch mechanism seems to be frozen up. When I start the saw, the shaft turns, but the sprocket that drives the chain does not. After removing the retaining bolt and washer, I couldn't figure out how to remove the sprocket, which I assume covers the clutch mechanism. What next? And yes, before you ask, I did release the brake.
    Thanks.

2. halfmile

halfmile Well-Known Member

Tap the clutch with a hammer. The inside is a simple pair of weights held off the drum by small springs. When the engine spins up the weights press against the drum which is the sprocket.

It is normal for the sprocket not to turn till the motor is revved up.

HM

3. g7777777

g7777777 TS Supporters TS Supporters

Are there really non electric start chainsaws that are easy to start? which ones?

regards from Iowa

Gene

4. VAMiket

VAMiket Member

Make sure the gaurd that protects your hands is in the back position. This is designed to stop the chain if the saw bucks back. The saw will run but the clutch is locked and the chain will not turn.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.