1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Off Topic: Bicycle Seats

Discussion in 'Uncategorized Threads' started by ANTRIM UDF, Apr 10, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ANTRIM UDF

ANTRIM UDF TS Member

Good seat and padded riding shorts or padded u-wear. Works for me.

2. Joe G. NJ

Joe G. NJ TS Member

Big Al, you can try www.nashbar.com , they are a bicycle supply company. You can see a lot of seats in their catalog at very reasonable prices.

Trust me, you won't go wrong with a pair of padded bike shorts. They make a big difference. Nashbar has a good selection, even their cheapest pair will help a lot. You can wear them under your pants so no one has to know you have them on.

Gel seats are good for casual short distances, but for longer rides, that is after you've been riding for a while and have gotten used to riding, you will probably want to switch to a harder seat. Much less friction and heat buildup.

Good luck,
    Joe G.

3. Mac V

Mac V Guest

I wear chamois-padded biking shorts, but I've actually found woman's seats to be more comfortable than men's seats. I use the Terry Bicycle Saddles that can be found on this page. The men's and women's recreational saddles are both comfortable but I've found the women's seats more to my liking.

There are some gel-padded seats that look like what came on old motorcycles or farm equipment...HUGE things. I found them comfortable while sitting still but they chafe the heck out of my legs and crotch unless I ride with my knees bent all the time like a boardwalk cruiser.

Mike

4. V10

V10 Well-Known Member

Have you had the bike fitted to you? If not, the folks at your local bike shop can help you with that, too. It's as important as gun fit.

I think that even if you find a gel seat that is comfortable for you and isn't as large and padded as the ones Mike mentions, you'll still find that a good pair of bike shorts are necessary.

There are some bike shorts that even look like regular shorts. The link above is for such a pair. I haven't used them, but they might be worth considering.

5. X Trap 2

X Trap 2 TS Member

I too use a woman's seat They are a little wider and shorter. I got a Gel cover on a used bike I bought a few years back, but have never used it. Sold the bike but kept the cover.

For Sale.....Have a Maruishi RX7 I built up about 8 years ago that I have not ridden. They retailed for either 7 or 8 hundred then. I put 27 X 1 wheels and Mr tuffies on it. Really a sharp bike. Has drilled handle bars.

Has rear view mirror,alloy bottle holders,alloy rack, back of seat bag, rack bag, speedometer, Zefal pump, flashing light. This bike is as new condition and I keep it in my office. Will sell for $350.00.

I ride a Schwinn Le Tour rigged the same way but not with as expensive components.Got it about 10 years ago.

Also have truing stand, some of used bike parts, alloy wheels, tires, and tools to service back wheel for sale if anybody has an interest. Ray

6. jimx200

jimx200 Member

Big AL, bike riding has been my favorite sport for 35 years and I do know about seats. Contrary to popular belief, gels seats are not a good choice as the gel feels like it works it's way into places it should not be. It also "forms" itself into your delicate area and can quickly cause some serious problems with the nerve endings from lack of blood flow...I know and it took me a year to get back to normal from a numbing sensation after a 50 miler. Not fun. Almost all distance cyclists prefer something pretty firm...as in hard. When riding my 40-75 milers, I either rde with a Specialized Avatar or my Allez (road) with a Brooks B-17 saddle. The Avatar has a pretty wide cutout channel for arterial blood flow and Brooks is a very firm (solid leather) more traditional shape, but wider seat and will conform to your sit bones after a few months. Suggestions: find a Specialized dealer as they have a Ass-o-Meter to sit on(made of a soft latex substance to hold an impression) to measure your sit bones for proper width. I am 6-2,215 and seat comfort is very important. The Terry seat mentioned above has a pretty good reputation from the distance riders too. Check out these sites for some good discounts: all start with www, performancebike.com, pricepoint.com, jensonusa.com, and cambriabike.com. And yes, bike shorts (mt. bike shorts are really comfortable) with a chamois will help for sure. Bike fit is damn important too as you should raise the seat to almost fully extend your leg on the bottom stroke, the bars should be set to allow your arms to be slightly bent too. Since your Trek 820 is a hybrid, you can get a suspension seat to absorb shock too. Good luck and try the cut-out style seats. A great forum is www.bikeforums.com, lots of info on seats and proper fit. Beware: not all bike shops are knowledgable with bike fit. I suggest you find a shop that carries high end road bikes and talk to the guy who does the fittings. Heck, buy a new tube, tire, can of lube or something and most people will be more than willing to help you at no charge. Bike club people are some of the most generous people I have ever met. If you like to ride, join a local club...lots of available and healthy women too...lol.

7. ottis

ottis TS Member

bigAl,check out spiderflex.com

8. V10

V10 Well-Known Member

Al,

Turn the shorts inside out and I think you'll see that the chamois has a shape similar to a bicycle seat. It's not just to cushion the buttocks ("sit bones"), but provides cushioning for the "tender bits" too.

Also, be prepared to spend some bucks for good shorts. It might be tempting to buy $40 shorts, but, as with everything, you get what you pay for.

Another thing regarding bike shorts: you don't wear underwear with them. Underwear has seams in the wrong area. Wearing underwear will defeat the purpose of wearing the bike shorts.

HTH

9. Jerbear

Jerbear TS Member

Wonder what type of seat this guy has?

<a href="http://photobucket.com" target="_blank">[​IMG]</a>

Jerbear

10. oletymer

oletymer Member

The best thing you can do is reduce your seat. I see far to many porkers on bikes.

11. ChillyW

ChillyW TS Member

My suggestion is pretty expensive, but absolutely nothing else can beat it for comfort: buy a recumbent.
    http://www.ransbikes.com/Rocket07.htm

12. motordoctor

motordoctor Shoji Tabuchi in Branson

another thing that you guys missed. Tilt the seat forward so you sit on the rear 1/2 of the seat. Yes they do make some good "mens" seats and I have one of those. But tilting the seat so the tingling sensation does not come into play and you can ride on almost any seat. Not too much tilt but many bikes have the seat sitting FLAT. motordoc

13. Jerbear

Jerbear TS Member

Hows her bike seat?

<a href="http://photobucket.com" target="_blank">[​IMG]</a>

Jerbear

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.