1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Off Topic -.22 Ruger Rifle Target Rifle

Discussion in 'Off Topic Threads' started by Stumpstalker, Dec 8, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Stumpstalker

Stumpstalker TS Member

Years ago, a company took Ruger .22 auto receivers and added a bull barrel, good trigger, thumbhole stock and a scope. They were supposed to shoot every round in the same hole at normal distances. Does anyone know who they are and if they still make them?

Thanks,

Carmine

2. jm1079

jm1079 Well-Known Member

Chief AJ was the name of that company from what I remember. JM

3. redhawk44

redhawk44 Member

You can buy all manner of aftermarket barrels, stocks triggers and whatever and put it together yourself.

Midway USA has a good selection.

4. claybrdr

claybrdr Well-Known Member

Might be Volquartsen. I have some of their stuff.

5. AJ100

AJ100 TS Member

He is still around.

"Chief AJ has been receiving Congratulations from around the World since shooting a Guinness Slingshot Record of 1,500 flying targets Sept 27 &28, 2008. "

I googled his name and came up with this. Quite the character.

Tom(AJ100)

[​IMG]

6. jimx200

jimx200 Member

Paul and others, I recently saw the USA Target 10/22 at a dealer ($500.) new in box. It had a target barrel on it with the red/blue laminate thumb hole stock. Assume this is a good target shooter as is or would one need to "trick out" the trigger?

7. hmb

hmb Well-Known Member

The Ruger triggers need to be worked on by a skilled gunsmith because of product liability concerns. They have a lot of creep and a heavy pull weight inorder to be "safe". If you take the trigger unit out of the gun and operate it you will see that when you pull the trigger it moves the hammer back against the hammer main spring. Before it releases you can actually see the hammer move back as you pull the trigger. That is why the pull is so heavy.

The hammer notch is the problem. It is not cut square to the surface of the trigger sear. So when you pull the trigger you work against the hammer main spring. The creep and weight problems can be corrected. HMB

8. mkstephen

mkstephen Active Member

It was Chief AJ from Illinois. The 10-22's he made up used hammer forged bull barrels that he hand lapped, Fajen thumb hole silhouette stocks with RUGER label burnt into the stock, had his WHITE BARN logo burnt into the stock below the RUGER, and tricked out triggers by him. On the barrel near the muzzle he had his Indian logo with head dress etched into the side of the barrel. He made up 11 rifles in 1998 and 11 rifles in 1999. I have two of them with consecutive serial numbers. On the etching on the barrels beside his logo also etched is the verbage "1 of 22". Both rifles shoot one hole at 50 yds.

Michael Stephenson

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.