1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Off Topic .22 Colt Woodsman ??

Discussion in 'Off Topic Threads' started by Mikeegak, Sep 2, 2013.

1. Mikeegak

Mikeegak TS Member

At Church yesterday, a gentleman approached me with a handgun for sale. From a bucket in his trunk he pulled a Colt .22 LR, with white plastic grips. The only markings were a patent stamp for 1903 and what appears to be a serial number of 88, and of course .22 and Colt.

I have exhausted my library and I'm unsure what it is. Is it a "Pre-Woodsman"? My research states that he Pre-Woodsman had wood grips, and additional markings that are absent on this gun.

Anyone have any ideas as to the model etc.

Thank You

2. KDGJ

KDGJ TS Member

You may want to go to the colt .22 website (the website is posted above).. Look at the link on large woodsman collection for sale. Did the white grips look original?

Ken

3. dbuffington

dbuffington TS Member

Hello!

The Colt Woodsman was a very popular handgun ... and it remains popular today in its modern form, the Browning Buckmark.

White "ivory" and "stag" grips were very popular accessories for the Woodsman, and so, it wouldn't be unusual to find them, even on an early gun.

And as KDGJ said, the colt22.com website will help you identify the specific Woodsman model and date of production.

But ...

Even though the early, pre-Woodsman models are more desirable to collectors, all of the Woodsman models are desirable guns, not just for collecting, but for hiking, plinking and target shooting. It was designed by John Moses Browning, and like many of JMB's creations, it remains as attractive today as it was 100 years ago.

So ...

Don't dither. If the man is asking a reasonable price, buy it.

Enjoy!
    Dave

4. Mikeegak

Mikeegak TS Member

the grips look original/old with some small cracks around the screws.
    The gun is missing the magazine and the extractor. Thanks for the info.