1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Off the shelf guns?

Discussion in 'Uncategorized Threads' started by chatbrat, Feb 19, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. chatbrat

chatbrat TS Member

How many of you have bought either a new or used gun that really fit you and you didn't have to customize to fit you. I thinking of having another gun made for me, would love to be able to buy a new gun without any wood. as far as I'm conscerned a factory gun, wood & finish is about worthless to a truly competetive shooter. Would love to be able to buy a new o/u combo without any wood at a realistic price- & have a person like Dennis DeVault make a stock & forend to fit---that would be the best of both worlds----Phil

2. KEYBEAR

KEYBEAR Active Member

MRK My guestion is why would you replace a stock that FIT with one that did,t .

I have never bought a new gun off the shelf that fit ever . I bought a Krieghoff Trap Special that was off the shelf at a very good price after being shoot about 300 times . That gun would not fit anyone .

3. halfmile

halfmile Well-Known Member

Years ago when you bought an automobile, you just got an engine/chassis assembly. Then your coachbuilder made the body and interior to your liking. Only the very well to do had autos.

Henry Ford and others changed all that so everyone could afford autos.

Maybe your idea would be more workable if all guns had the same stock fitting configuration and you could take your custom wood frome one to another.

If you want custom wood, buy it. Sell your standard stock to someone who had damage and needs another.

HM

4. chatbrat

chatbrat TS Member

I amcurrently shoot a Beretta 391 with a Devault industries 30' barrel & an adj rib, I went to Canton,Ohio,where I met up with Dennis & his crew & I had the stock & forend made for me after a day long fitting session, I am shooting a Spears release trigger. Harlan Cambell picked up my gun & said he could "SHHOT" it----Phil

5. oletymer

oletymer Member

I still have an old 77 BT99 and that gun still shoots the best scores for me. In the years since I have gone through 6 different guns and still go back to that one. I have decided since I had it rebuilt that I will stay with that gun for the rest of my shooting time.

6. chatbrat

chatbrat TS Member

The rollover is great for me, my real propblem is I started this game to late in life 63, to become real good at it, I was an all city NYC baseball player in my youth & my eyes were great then & I had had super reflexes, all I got going for me now is knowledge, some disposable bucks, and the time to have some fun---Phil

7. kelly andersen

kelly andersen TS Member

My XS was off the shelf and it fits me perfectly, I got the comb where I wanted it and locked it in, I did have a pad from the XT trap installed because I like the curved contour of it. My first time shooting it I shot 25 and I hadnt shot but 2 rounds of trap in 15 years.I cant believe how good it feels for a factory gun. I've had others with alot of money in them that didnt shoot this good. I guess it all comes down to personal preference.

8. chuckles

chuckles Member

I've never shouldered a stock Beretta that didn't fit like a glove...

OTOH...I've never shouldered a Browning that did...

there is a huge difference in guns IMO...

Good scores require a good gun fit, absolutely....

regards

9. zzt

zzt Well-Known Member

I have never shouldered a factory gun that fit. When I bought my new Perazzi, I bought it without wood and had Perazzi make a custom stock for me. If I were doing it again today, I do the same, except I'd have someone other than Perazzi make the custom stock.

10. phirel

phirel TS Member

I am making some guesses. Custom stocks are not more than 2% of the guns on the line. Adjustable stocks are around 40% of the guns. That means that something like 50% of the guns are off the shelf and many shooters shoot these very well.

Pat Ireland

11. maclellan1911

maclellan1911 TS Member

I found most Browning XTs came up to my shoulder and eye very smoothly and with out much "getting used to". Down fall , Every non adjustable comb XT shot as flat as my 870. Something I wanted to get away from. I have come to like higher shooting guns. now I have A PFS on my XT.

12. hoggy

hoggy TS Member

Bought a Browning XS SKeet that fit me perfect out of box. Really wish I had not sold it. I do however love my K80.

13. Mike Battista

Mike Battista Well-Known Member Supporting Vendor

Phil,
    How about a Beretta 682 Gold E combo sans wood?
    Mike Battista
    727 410 5212

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Search tags for this page

new gun off the shelf built years ago