1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

"Off the Barrel" or "Off the Bead"?

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by vpr80, Apr 25, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. vpr80

vpr80 Active Member

Saw something the K80 brochure where describe the Top Single for shooter who prefer to shoot "Off the Barrel" and the Unsingle for shooters who prefer "Off the Bead.

So my question, what does that mean?

2. Ahab

Ahab Well-Known Member

It usually means that they will hear "Lost!"

If you are looking at the barrel or bead ... you are not looking at the bird!

The beads are there to make sure that you have mounted the gun correctly ... then move your focus to just above the trap house and yell "pull!" if you did it all correctly ... the gun will shoot where you are looking!

3. School Teacher

School Teacher Well-Known Member

Ahab has it right! All you need to do is keep your eyes (both of them) on the bird.

Ed Ward

4. short shucker

short shucker TS Member

It has to do with the shooters periphial vision. Some can't effectively shoot without seeing the top of the barrel in their periphial vision. Others don't mind the floating bead in their periphial vision.

ss

5. shannon391

shannon391 Active Member

I know where my bead is on every bird.

And i know if I was behind or low the instant I slap the trigger.

6. ivanhoe

ivanhoe Well-Known Member

Most one eyed shooter see the bead. If you think not try closing one eye and putting your gun on the target any target without seeing the bead. Most two eyed shooters see the end of the barrel in their peripheral vision.

Why Krieghoff think the bead is any easier to see on a top single as apposed to a Unsingle is any bodies guess.

Bob Lawless

7. miketmx

miketmx Well-Known Member

I have a high rib TMX and a conventional rib MX3 both top singles. Sometimes in bad light I have a tendency to look right through the high rib as though it is in the wrong place. The conventional rib of the MX3 leads to more intuitive pointing. I don't really know if I could shoot an unsingle.

8. $$$SHTR

$$$SHTR Member

I shoot with both eyes and have tried to shoot the high rib, (Ljutic Olympic Rib and Beretta unsingle), (sold both), and for the life of me I could not help but to shoot off the barrel. Too many years of shooting lower ribbed guns. I shoot my MX 3 and know exactly where the barrel is at all times with out ever looking at it. I've tried very hard to shoot a high rib/unsingle as I thought I really wanted one. Just wasn't for me. Right now I have a stainless mid-rib Ljutic (2 barrel set)that I'm having a terrible time with the stainless rib. On some days the stainless rib completely disappears and I end up shooting off the barrel again. I spoke to Jimmy at Ljutic and he suggested I painted the rib black. Tried that and it didn't seem to work. Gun is now at Moneymakers Guncraft to have blued non-tapered ribs installed. Maybe it'll shoot more like my MX 3 when it comes back??

Tomas

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.