1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Off Season Practice routines

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by 101voodoo, Jan 10, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. 101voodoo

101voodoo TS Member

With the cost of targets, lead, and shells, being what they are, I’m trying to figure out what’s the best bang for the practice dollar. Seems that you need to shoot a couple of hundred targets a week to make significant improvement. The question is, how do you divvy up your practice?

I really want to improve my doubles this year, and get a couple more yards on handicap.

My thought is to shoot twice a week (weather permitting) in the off season; shoot a 100 doubles one time, and a mix of handicap/singles (75/25) the other time. This would focus on one discipline at a time.

Or would 50 Doubles and 50 handicap twice make more sense? This would let you practice more by rote, doing it less but more often.

As my doubles scores come up, would you decrease doubles practice and shift some more effort to handicap, or leave it relatively even?

What’s worked for you and what's your off-season practice regimen?

Jim

2. tuscarora 99

tuscarora 99 TS Member

Well i think that unless you really dont mind losing a few birds in singles you should throw a few singles rounds in. But the 50 and 60 seems like a good idea if doubles and handicap are the things that you really want to improve on.

3. Remstar311

Remstar311 Member

I curl beer to simulate raising the gun in an effort to keep my stamina up.

4. KEYBEAR

KEYBEAR Active Member

It,s just to cold and windy to shoot any practice in Indiana . Bad practice is worse then no practice . But last spring I did alot of Handicap Practice . I got to the club early and shot by myself . Mostly working on good habits seeing the targets well and getting comfortable shooting handicap . It was a big help later in registerd . Doubles are impossible to practice around here and I believe that is one reason some don,t shoot them in registerd. I only know of one club that has a trap setup for doubles and it is very poor . So for me if I,m going to shoot doubles it will be registerd practice ? I have found with the weather we have I,m better off to save my shells untill spring .

ALF

5. 101voodoo

101voodoo TS Member

Tuscarora, I've noticed that when I get the chance to practice handicap for a 100, and then get up to the singles line, it seems like I'm standing on top of the house. Last couple practices, I've shot 27, 27, then moved to the 25 and then to the 16. Makes the 25 and 16 seem quicker and easier. I've been trying to finish with a 16 just to make sure my singles timing doesn't get off.

Alf, I know what you mean about practicing doubles, it can be tough to find a doubles trap and often its set poorly. At Sage Hill we're fortunate that they have a five stand set up with trap doubles and you can usually squeeze in between the five stand squads for a few rounds. Used to be really poorly set, but has been better lately. It can be tough to practice handicap as well, seems everyone wants to shoot singles.

The weather in Reno goes from cold and miserable to high 40's low 50's throughout the winter so if you time it right you can shoot a couple times a week,

Jim

6. ljutic73

ljutic73 Well-Known Member

gettin' past the 60 mile drive to the nearest trap club is the first impediment to me doin' any practicin'....

7. John Browning

John Browning TS Member

Jim,maybe you could look into a Dryfire indoor system. I got one about 5 years ago and use it in the winter to work on doubles and other problems I have. The system lets you work on form, speed and maybe different holds for different posts.
    I just finished shooting 200 doubles inside and that would have cost about 90 to 100 bucks most places,(thats shells, target fees, gas and wear on my gun. You can do this about 14 times and pay for the system.
    I am not the greatest doubles shooter but I usally average 90% and the best I've shot last year was 98,but I believe it really has helped me. John

8. walman16

walman16 TS Member

Is there an off season in this sport?

9. tuscarora 99

tuscarora 99 TS Member

Yes this is true, but in registered shoots, normally handicap is shot after singles. Unless you can get to a practice trap, then it is fine.

10. Shooting Coach

Shooting Coach Well-Known Member

Today, it was in the middle 30's, and cloudy. I spent an hour on the heavy bag at the gym.

If the arms don't get tired, the gun don't get heavy.

11. hmb

hmb Well-Known Member

Just sit down in the recliner chair lean back and close your eyes. Visualize shooting a round of trap. Shoot all the different angles and make sure you hit all the targets. Your brain won't know the difference between visualization and actually shooting a round of trap. HMB

12. 101voodoo

101voodoo TS Member

John,

I went to the dryfire site and watched part of the video, but for that kind of money I'd have to try one out, and really, really like it.

I'm off today, maybe I'll break down and get some pvc pipe to hang the Terry Jordan chart I bought last year and haven't used.

Jim

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.