1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Of These 3 Guns

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by leadhead358, Dec 16, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. leadhead358

leadhead358 Member

Looking at getting my son a good USED shotgun. He has shot all three of these guns (they all fit him well and he likes them) and I need your inputs on pros and cons, especially the autoloader to help me make up my mind. He now shoots my old savage o/u and needs something more durable. These are the 3 guns I have to choose from:

1) SKB 85TSS adjustable comb, 32", ported and 5 choke tubes at $1350.

2) 687 Silver Pidgeon II, 32", 4 choke tubes at $2295.

3) Al 391 Teknys Sporting, 30", 5 choke tubes at $1450.

I am partial to the SKB, but I shoot one.

I gave him Christmas presents (going in his stocking) of joining the NSCA with me and we both will be joining the ATA this year, so I don't know where this will lead us. More trap, 50/50, or more sporting clays. I shot registered sporting clays last year and enjoyed it and he went along in hunter class and enjoyed it also. BUT when you have to travel 1 1/2 to 2 hours to shoot registered tournaments it adds up to about $250 to $300 for the day. I keep telling myself trap is alot cheaper and closer.

2. Jack Frost

Jack Frost TS Member

That third gun is hard to beat. My grandson now shoots a Berreta AL391 Teknys. I did not like it at first then he showed my a trick with that shotgun that makes it very fast for doubles, actually faster than I can use it. I was curious one day and thought I should shoot a round of 16 yard targets with it. I like it so well that I will be using it as my singles gun whenever possible. All the best.

J.F.

3. Jimmyc

Jimmyc TS Member

My friend and I had a conversation the other day about guns. He has a blazer and I just got a used k80. We both said if we had it to do all over we'd start with a 391. If you reload get a multiple catch for it. You can trick it out completely for $3000 or less.
    Jimmy

4. oldgahchamp

oldgahchamp Active Member

If it was me,I would keep looking. You can pickup a nice Citori O&U or a Combo for $800-1500. I bought a Citori for my Granddaughter 2 years ago for $600. The Browning will last a long time if you take care of it. Larry Evans

5. Conn. Man

Conn. Man Member

With out a doubt,Id keep looking and trying.You can find some good used combo guns on T.S.com from some good people.I have my preference on brands but thats up to you to decide.

Sandy Holehouse.

6. TRW369

TRW369 TS Member

WAS looking to buy a new gun for my son also and belong to a gun club with
    alot of nice guys to shoot with and they were willing to let my son who is 13yrs old try there guns he shot K-80,Perazzi,Brownings and Berettas he liked the 687 so that is what I bought him Christmas and $2295 is not bad price my
    687 cost me $3125 new shipped

7. trinketshooter

trinketshooter TS Member

I would choose the SKB. That is a pretty decent price. Quality and adjustability. And if your son likes it that is a plus. Neil

8. OLD ONE EYE

OLD ONE EYE Well-Known Member

There is a Silver Pigeon sporting on this list for 1800 with a case that is a good price for a great gun. Skb is out of business and the Tekny;s is a over priced 391 urica is a better gun and buy. The Tekny has rib problem they fly off as it is removable rib may have been corrected since but a Trap or sporting Special with raised rib would be my choice around 800-900 if you want a auto loader.

9. MAL-53

MAL-53 Member

I would probably pick the 687, or like everyone else said "keep looking" also let your son try out a BT-99, great beginners gun and can be found at the right price almost everywhere.

10. OldGoat

OldGoat Well-Known Member

SKB, Best Regards, Ed

11. Chango2

Chango2 Active Member

I have a great sporting clays Guerrini Summit with the latest choke system for sale at less than 2/3 of the new price.

David

12. bubbaw

bubbaw Member

I would start a youngster with an auto, but not a 391. Shop for a good used 390 or 303. They are better build than a 391 and easier to clean. A good one can be bought in the 600 to 900 dollar range. A lot of excellent young sporting clays shooters are shooting auto's. Shoot well.
    William

13. leadhead358

leadhead358 Member

Thank everyone for there input and the email messages. I purchased a Al391 Teknys Sporting Target that just came in on a trade that was only 2 months old, with extra rib for trap, 5 choke tubes, adjustable comb, 3 adjustable fore-end weights, 2 butt pads one that is a gel, all the manuals and wrenches and the hard case for $1350 and that was in my price range. He should be able to adjust this gun to what he needs, since he is 6 foot 4 280# and still growing.

14. oldgahchamp

oldgahchamp Active Member

He must resemble Leo. Hope he learns to shoot like him. Larry Evans

15. porky

porky TS Member

I agree with Larry Evans, Keep looking until you find a o/u Browning. Unless you have an ability to shorten or adjust the stock of the guns unless your son is 5'8" or about there, you'll have to shorten the stock and it isn't easy with synthetic stocks.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.