1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

# of Patterns to shoot

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by shotist, Feb 20, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. shotist

shotist Member

I am planning on doing some Pattern Testing at 40 Yards. I have several barrel and chokes to try. I shoot Rem Nitro's with 7 1/2's I have read that you need to shoot at least 10 Patterns with each load and choke to get a good average.

Since I am mainly looking to compare several barrels and choke combinations I am thinking about using 3 Patterns with each combination. Is that going to give me enough to get an ideal about which barrel/choke combination is best?

Thanks,
    Michael Plaxco

2. JBrooks

JBrooks TS Member

When you are finished can I have your gun? You'll not only be tired of it you will have lost all confidence in your ability to hit anything with it. :)

Actually, you may find some that are noticeably worse, but I bet most will be pretty much the same.

3. Neil Winston

Neil Winston Well-Known Member

Mike, the number of patterns you shoot depends on what you want to know (and with what certainty) and how different, if at all, the patterns are. If they are vastly different, three should tell you at least what's probably going on. Not with any high degree of confidence, but at least whether it's a line worth pursuing.

If you are trying to tell small differences, then you need more patterns. Ten is the standard, but even that many won't indicate any differences if they are small. The problem is that in any string of ten patters, you are going to get a range of about 10% almost all the time, even if everything is working fine.

To understand anything at all, you have to count pellets; you really can't tell anything "by eye." Unless you are committed to counting, I wouldn't pattern at all; you'll just mislead yourself.

Neil

PS Most patterns are about the same assuming you are using hard shot and nothing radical in terms of choke. So you have to decide what you are looking for before you start looking.

4. Shooting Coach

Shooting Coach Well-Known Member

What Neil said. The shotgun does not perform like a rifle or pistol. There will be a good deal of (acceptable) differences in patterns.

I do not pattern my clay target reloads at range. I DO check POI using the Winston Method. Using reasonable loads with good components in good guns with good chokes gives me the confidence to skip this, to me, unneeded step.

My obsessions are necessary with Precision Rifle. I do not take the OCD to pistol or shotgun. LOL

5. shotist

shotist Member

Thanks for the info.

My objective is compare the 40 Yard Patterns from several of the "Top Name" gunsmiths that I have had work on my barrels. I also have chokes from various firms...

Will 3 Patterns out of each get me some ideal of what is going on. I am planning on counting pellet holes.

Yes, I kown that I need to get a life:>)

It is hard to get away from what makes a person succesfull in another shooting sport. I always have to test things to see "which is best"...

THANKS, Michael Plaxco

6. phirel

phirel TS Member

Michael- You are after some specific answers about minor barrel differences. To do this correctly, you will need a lot of time. Three patterns are not enough for the questions you are asking. Ten patterns very likely will not be enough. You cannot directly compare averages. At a minimum, you would need to calculate +- 1 SD around the average to get a hint of any possible differences. Next, you should use a T-test to see if the different averages are actually different.

To test three different full choke tubes from different manufactures using three different loads (light, medium, heavy) with both 7.5 and 8 shot) with N=20, you are looking at analyzing 260 patterns.

Pat Ireland

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.