1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

% of ATA youth still shooting ?

Discussion in 'Uncategorized Threads' started by 2badnw, Nov 13, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. 2badnw

2badnw TS Member

After 5 yrs. what % of youth is shoot ATA or still a member ?

2bnw

2. oleolliedawg

oleolliedawg Banned User Banned TS Supporters

Easy, almost none!!

3. Big Jack

Big Jack Well-Known Member

When dad paid the bills, it was a great time. When they discovered girls (or boys if that be the case) and cars (or trucks) they left the fold. We can only hope their absence is temporary and they will return one day. I'm still waiting for my four sons to return.

Big Jack

4. maclellan1911

maclellan1911 TS Member

I felt like the kid at most ATA shoots I went to last target year, im 37

5. 2badnw

2badnw TS Member

6. grunt

grunt TS Supporters TS Supporters

Not many.

7. JBrooks

JBrooks TS Member

I don't know the percentage but I think both of them are doing pretty well.

8. BlzMTU88

BlzMTU88 TS Member

I am a youth shooter and last year was my last year being categorized as a junior. I have had minimal time to shoot in the ATA because of being enrolled in college and internships. I think this is why you see some of the youth shooters not returning right away because of college and getting summer internships like myself.

Kyle

9. nomderf

nomderf TS Member

1964 - 2007

Do the math = 43 years

38-01615

10. LUGNUTZ426

LUGNUTZ426 TS Member

Many of us make the assumption that our children will automatically
    dedicate their lives to the same hobbys/sports that we do. My older son
    who used to shoot with me weekly now would rather spend the weekend
    playing with cars or at the lake fishing and riding jet skis etc. He will come and shoot a few rounds on a weeknight, but do not want to dedicate a whole weekend to attend a shoot anymore.
    I like the idea of 50 bird tournamantsthat the ATA is experimenting with. Nowadays time is more precious than money for alot of young (and older) folks. Cost is also an issue for alot of folks as is often a topic on TS. This may be the answer to getting and keeping young shooters competitive.

11. Shooting Coach

Shooting Coach Well-Known Member

My math is

1958-2007. Damn, I'm OLD.

12. oleolliedawg

Russ, I've been shooting since 1963, went through all the various stages listed here and never quit shooting. Plenty of high school kids started with me, yet few remain. We're all around 60 years old. How long must we wait until they return?

Plenty of gun clubs may close their doors within 20 years unless we see immediate results now!!

13. Hap MecTweaks

Hap MecTweaks Well-Known Member

Russ, I for one happen to agree with your assessment. The program is great at introducing kids to organized shooting! I'm thankful the NSSF approached us with such a program for them! It's a long range investment and may pay off some time in the future as predicted, I certainly hope so.

Every time someone comes up with an idea to attract and hold more new shooters, most ideas are scoffed at. Why? Because it may involve some necessary change to take place and that's evidently a no-no. We should recruit those with extra expendable income that can afford trapshooting on a yearly or seasonal basis. The consensus seems to be, "if it ain't broken, don't fix it" has stagnated our sport in recent years. We better come up with a few innovative ideas that's outside the current "thinking box" because we're dropping old timers at an alarming rate compared to our growth numbers of retained shooters. JMHO verified by our sports history of retained memberships. Hap

14. oleolliedawg

It's getting increasingly difficult to find a junior or sub-junior competetor at many of the major shoots. Biggest reason is the baby boomers are past the kid stage meaning fewer possible participants.

I see far more younger shooters at the Sporting Clays shoots than I do at Trap. Maybe it's because in my day we were king s--t when dad bought us a new 870. Not every parent is willing to purchase a K-Gun like we see many of the competitors carrying. Life was alot simpler and affordable when your options were a Model 12, Browning Broadway or a Remington 870.

This game is rapidly pricing itself out of existence and cannot be supported by oldsters with fat pensions and portfolios forever. Sadly, we are watching the decline of our once fine game as we argue about trivia!!

15. k1200ltc509

k1200ltc509 Member

Russ, my 02cents here as someone who is directly involved in the program. Taking on new shooters thru SCTP or what ever is the answer and should be encouraged by every club associated with the ATA. For two years we've had a team. Comprised of young men and women. Probably with the highest grade gun being a BT-99 plus. We lose a certain number of those that register initially for whatever reason.

But talking to parents of the kids, they think TRAPSHOOTING is a DEAL. And that is over the travelling leagues for soccer, baseball, hockey. One of the other mothers said she was paying ten to fifteen THOUSAND dollars per year to have another son on a travelling hockey team. She was almost joyful to just have to purchase a 391 trap for her son, and shells for the season along with entry fees!

It is starting to come to fruitition after only two years, the local school has agreed to allow their High School to have a trap team. The IHSA will not sanction a team they have no trap or shooting program, but they will have a team at this school. I think that it is going to take "baby steps" top coin a phrase from Bill Murray, but it makes sense to take a bit back here and there! Just like the antis want to take a bit here and there.

Will they stay in the sport who knows? But I can try to impact their choices a little bit at a time and try to instill in them the qualities that other good atheletes posess. Thanks, Rick Gibbs

16. Michael Jobe

Michael Jobe TS Member

Russ25Trap, you're pretty optimistic to think that trap will be around in 20 years to get the payoff for investing in kids today. If we want clay sports to survive, we need to invest in getting 30 to 50 year olds into the sport, especially women.

~Michael

17. oleolliedawg

Russ, I guess I wasn't really clear when I commented on younger people trying Sporting instead of Trap. What I see at a Sporting shoot is more 20 and 30 year olds carrying cheaper guns. I also understand the junior program brings alot of shooters to one or two ATA events yearly.

I'll also say it took around $18 to $20,000 yearly to keep my son on the All-American team around 10 years ago. Almost none of those kids, of which were many, has yet returned. Does anyone wonder why!!

18. oleolliedawg

Russ, Grand American trip with the family, motels, meals, targets, plane fares, shells and a little gambling money-$5,000 ten years ago. Southern Grand-same deal-$4,500. You wonder why they disappear! Most of these "big dog" kids suffer burnout and who can blame them. The cream of the ATA youth is decimated by overly large target requirements and the point system. Try that program for as much as 8 years and see why Fishing becomes more fun!!

19. Steve-CT

Steve-CT TS Member

I've come back to a little bit of registered shooting after an almost two year hiatus - largely due to the fact that I was tending to my father, who passed away a year and a half ago and was ill off and on for about 5 years prior to that.

I never really "left" registered shooting, but my participation has been cut back to about a TENTH of what I was shooting ten or twenty years ago and I have much more discretionary income now than I did then. I'm 41. I started shooting registered targets when I was 14 in 1981 and during my teen years - it was largely a factor of being home for the summers that allowed me to shoot as much as I did, plus obviously financial support from my parents to participate (there were no "junior" sponsored programs then).

In my case, I've found that registered shoots, especially local ones, take too much time and yield too little "payback" for me to be really interested. I've also played the role of club delegate before and found it to be a thankless, time consuming, energy draining position.

I have much more fun shooting non registered birds and reserve registered shooting for a few key events I really want to plan to go to and I could care less about target requirements and penalty classes because I'm already a AA-27 shooter.

Also, I am involved to some extent in shooting other gun sports and have my share of local CMP match trophies for poking .223s and .308s through paper at 200 yards; I enjoy my local clubs for pistol shooting and dabble with IDPA.
    And I am involved with my local State pro gun rights group and volunteer for the NRA as an EVC, which I've done for about ten years now.

Somewhere in there - I work 50 hrs per week in an office for a large financial institution; commute twenty hours per week; am looking after my elderly mother, who is living on her own still; I am married, no kids yet; lucky enough to have a wife who is not antigun, and shoots a tiny bit each year - maybe three rounds of trap and a session or two at the range with her handgun and moreover, understands that I shoot - almost EVERY weekend. Often at the same clubs that host registered shoots at different times during the year.

For me, I could now go back to registered shooting 2000 singles 1500 handicap and 500 to 1,000 doubles each year. I do not WANT to. I'm happy with my 200 to 500 per year, plus everything else I am doing.

20. Gary De

Gary De TS Member

As someone who has been been working with youth programs for 7 years and has no kids. I can't believe all the negitive attitudes out there when it comes to youth shooting. They are the future of all shooting sports and hunting, instead of complaining get involved its as simple as that. Every club out could use help starting or running a youth program. The NSSF/SCTP is doing a great job and I will continue to support it as long as I can.

Gary DeSmidt

Russ great job, I get it, to bad so many don't.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.