1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Oddball question

Discussion in 'Uncategorized Threads' started by cole-mitchell, Sep 23, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. cole-mitchell

cole-mitchell TS Member

what is the highest POI that anyone you know shoots? I read in T@F that Phil Kiner shoots 23" high.

2. bcnu

bcnu Active Member

Last time I talked to Harlan, he was shooting about 22 inches high. John

3. country gentleman

country gentleman Member

I have fitted several shooters that are at 30+ inches, not from my recommendation. This scenario forces a spot shot, very quick with little barrel movement. Very difficult to reproduce for long periods. They are however shooting it very well in spurts. Time will tell. I may learn something here. Yours in shooting, Todd Nelson

4. puablo

puablo Well-Known Member

i know a guy that shoots such a high poi that he needs a step ladder to shoot with.

5. buzzgun

buzzgun Member

Phil told me in a clinic once he was shooting 24", at that time.

But keep in mind, these guys are shooting probably a thousand competition targets a week, and likely "feel" their way into these poi settings an inch or two at a time...and see the difference over extended periods of time, making a judgement over thousands of birds under many different conditions.

I would bet they are not just shooting 1 or 2 good rounds at a new poi, cranking off a couple pattern shots, and declaring they've found their "new" best poi.

6. cole-mitchell

cole-mitchell TS Member

true I don't have the time or money to shoot thousands of practice rounds a week at a new POI so im just setteled at 60/40

7. trapshootin hippie

trapshootin hippie Well-Known Member

The POI on my Winchester 37 is so high----------- I was shooting about 11:am on day and aimed at the target and knocked the sun from outta the sky.

Gne J.

8. RSHOOTER870

RSHOOTER870 TS Member

ray stafford shoots 100 percent high 30 inches the bone

9. GunDr

GunDr Well-Known Member

If Ray is shooting 100%, then by the old industry standards for a 30" circle, 40yd shot, he would actually be only 15" high.

Doug

10. Hipshot 3

Hipshot 3 TS Member

Tis better to be to far in front than to far behind! Somebody once said that.....I think it was Hillary?????

11. shot410ga

shot410ga Well-Known Member

I read in T&F that Stafford shoots a 36" high POI.

12. Opion8ted

Opion8ted TS Member

High POI is nice but it requires some hokus pokus on extreme angles. I doubt that "most" shooters know their actual POI.

13. code5coupe

code5coupe Member

If having a gun shoot to a spot you aren't aiming at is beneficial, then why doesn't having a gun that shoots four feet to the right of POA help me on those hard rights from station 5??

14. KelleyPLK

KelleyPLK TS Member

Gun DR you are correct also He was shooting flat gun years ago on singles wood was lt blue in color ! Remember then many 200 straights with that gun . How old would Ray Be now 60 yet ? I think He is about the best shooter I have shot with .

Pat Kelley

15. smsnyder

smsnyder Well-Known Member

my gun shoots 18 inches high at 32 yard about 110% high. so far i have moved from 85.91 last 5 year avg to 91/92 avg now. i do nothing more but touch target as it is rising and that includes angles. you must allways stay under target. high poi allways gives you a clear look at target.

16. Opion8ted

Opion8ted TS Member

Code5 ... Aiming is for single projectile guns and is not what you need to be doing with a trap gun. What is beneficial is having a gun that will shoot where you are looking with whatever configuration your beads happen to be in.

17. code5coupe

code5coupe Member

"What is beneficial is having a gun that will shoot where you are looking.." That makes pretty good sense to me, so why have a gun that shoots HIGHER than where you are pointing??

18. Opion8ted

Opion8ted TS Member

Code .... I think you are here just for the grins bud, but, a gun that shoots where you look does not necessarily have to be "pointed" at the target. A higher shooting gun will allow the target to remain visible as opposed to one that necessarily has to cover the target (aiming at) thereby losing sight of it.

19. code5coupe

code5coupe Member

The target will always remain visible to the shooter who shoots with both eyes open, will it not? Does for me, anyhow.

20. hubcap

hubcap TS Member

Why have a gun that shoots higher than you are pointing?

Simple - the target is moving ............ from the time you pull the trigger to the time the shot arrives, the target has moved higher.

Unless you are shooting at the peak of the targets flight, which most of the top shooters aren't.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.