1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Odd S&W revolver problem

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by ccw1911, Jul 19, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ccw1911

ccw1911 Member

Although not trap related I thought this might be interesting to some of the ts.com readers.

The other day I had an old 5 screw S&W 38 special revolver brought into my shop. The owner inherited it from his Grandfather years ago and took it out recently to let his son shoot it but it wouldn't fire. It had been put away for some time but was not rusted up, no rust but not much original finish left on it. Just a good old revolver that's never been shot much and is in great mechanical shape.

The hammer wouldn't come back very far and you couldn't pull the trigger very far, hmm very strange. I took the grips and side plate off and this is what it looked like.

[​IMG]

I noticed something shiny where it shouldn't be and a closer inspection revealed this.

[​IMG]

That foreign object was preventing the revolver from working, this is what it was!!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Yes a live small pistol primer!! It looks dirty and is beat up but viewing it under a microscope you can see it's unfired. The owner has no idea how it got in there. He doesn't reload and isn't aware if his Grandfather ever did. The only thing I can come up with is for it to have had the grips removed at one time on a bench where some live primers had been spilled. Who knows? It could have been loose inside the grip area for years, the owner couldn't remember ever taking the grips off. The opening where the mainspring goes into the frame is the only spot large enough for the primer to enter the lock work. Sometime later the primer found its way into that spot between the trigger and the frame locking it up.

I've been a gunsmith a long time and this is one of the strangest things I've seen. I had a Browning A5 with a 22lr round lodged in the trigger housing that wouldn't fire once. It was fairly easy to explain as the owner admitted he had some loose 22 rounds in the soft case with his shotgun. This one is a genuine mystery, and I have to add I've known the owner of this S&W for 30 years and he didn't set this up. I guess this is a good time to remind ourselves to be careful.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.