1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Odd News: Fire truck burns up inside fire house!

Discussion in 'Off Topic Threads' started by pyrdek, Jul 25, 2013.

1. pyrdek

pyrdek Well-Known Member

In what has to be one of the oddest of odd news happenings,, a fire truck burns up INSIDE the fire hall that it calls home! And it took six volunteer fire companies to put the fire out.

From the Meadville Tribune (NW Pennsylvania):
    "Late Tuesday night, the lead engine of volunteer fire department was damaged heavily while it was parked inside the department’s station, but firemen were able to get other vehicles out of the building. Fire damage was confined to the 2001 engine/pumper, but there was smoke damage to the other parts of the crew areas of the one-story building.

You can read the full article Here

2. John 53

John 53 Member

What is odd about it? MOST volunteer fire stations are not manned except during meetings, work sessions and at the beginning and end of a fire call. Otherwise there is no one around to catch a fire starting. By the time a passerby happens to notice there is a fire, it is usually well involved. Many VFDs cease to exist after a fire, due to monetary constraints to buy replacement equipment.

John

3. W.P.T.

W.P.T. TS Member

There are many Dept. that shore up their man power by having (Paid on Call), Poc's, these Dept. are lacking with the exception of desire ... By the time many get to the station then to the fire scene the fire is so involved it will constitute a total loss ... The Dept. I was on never had a POC or any type of Volunteers though the towns people pushed for it and justified it until we explained that they would be one more thing to worry about, be concerned with, and trip over on a fire ... WPT ... (YAC) ...

4. eric

eric TS Supporters TS Supporters

I was on a fully paid Department for 28 years. We had at least two fires involving cooking (leaving stove on when a call came in) and another where a recalled dishwasher started a fire, again when we were out on a call.

The cooking problem was solved with a switch that automatically turned off all kitchen power when a call came in and the dishwasher problem - well, we just changed to a different brand. Anything can happen!!

Eric

5. Brian in Oregon

Brian in Oregon Well-Known Member

Deplorable Bitter Clinger in Liberal La La Land
    And then there are the fire trucks that burn up while putting out fires.

This happened to a rural volunteer fire dept here. They responded to a wildfire. As the flames got closer, they tried to start the old fire truck. It wouldn't start. Scratch one fire truck.

6. W.P.T.

W.P.T. TS Member

We almost burned the fire house down one time, I was cooking Peking Duck and all of the fixins when we got a call so I turned off the oven just in case this was not a false alarm ... It was a 2-11 alarm and it took us a while to strike it out ... I was talking to the Engineer while we were rolling up the hose and told him I was glad I turned off the oven, he then told me he turned off the oven (He turned it all the way to broil) ... This could not be good so I jumped into our squad car and headed for the station, when I got there all I could see was smoke so I called and asked for an engine to come and bring smoke ejectors ... I didn't want to open the doors without an engine Co. right there just in case ... This of course was heard by the Chief, our shift Commander (Capt) and all of the battalion ... When we opened the door smoke belched from the building and you could see flames coming from the kitchen ... We got it out and did a considerable amount of damage to the Kitchen ... The Peking Duck looked like a black golf ball, the oven/stove was pitch black and minor damage to the cabinets, range hood, and ceiling ...The Chief and rest of our shift guys came to the station to survey the damage ... The Chief said that is we supplied (Fire Fighters) the labor the Village would pay for the materials so we ended up with a virtually new Kitchen in our old Fire House ... It was close but the station is still there and being used yet today ... Accidents happen to say the least ... WPT ... (YAC) ...

7. Brian in Oregon

Brian in Oregon Well-Known Member

Deplorable Bitter Clinger in Liberal La La Land
    You must really worship your fellow firefighters... you gave them burnt offerings.

8. Catpower

Catpower Molon Labe TS Supporters

WPT, it must be something about ducks, about 30 years ago when I was living by myself, one Sunday morning I woke up early and decided to try to smoke a duck, when I was firing up the smoker, I heard the sirens coming and I was wondering where they were going, they pulled up right behind my house, and jumped out, the fireman pulled himself up on our privacy fence and I said I was just firing up the smoker, he told me I had better get to the front door, so I went and when I opened it they was a fireman with his ax wound up, ready to come on through

I asked them if there was any problem and he joked only if I didn't ask them back for the BBQ

He would have been glad I didn't because smoked duck sucks

We have a VFD here they are pretty good, used to be the joke they saved the slab, but they have saved quite a few houses since they have gotten better equipment donated by bigger depts that got newer bigger stuff and when they did they got a few of the owners on arson charges

9. W.P.T.

W.P.T. TS Member

I don't think the volunteers or paid on call Depts are bad, they are just very limited as to what they can do and how long it takes them to do it ... Our Push out times average was less than 2 minutes, that means we were out of the station and on our way in that amount of time ... Fire Multiplys intensity very fast so seconds count ... When the volunteers or paid on call guys or girls are minutes away from the station then you have more time to the fire scene well, you catch my drift ..? WPT ... (YAC) ...

10. Catpower

Catpower Molon Labe TS Supporters

I saw what you meant once they get going they go fast

I was just commenting how they used to say they saved the slab,because a while back that was all that they could do, but with the newer bigger stuff, they can get them knocked down quicker when they get there, but the lag is a big factor

11. need to shoot more

need to shoot more Active Member

Langhorne Gun Club ( Langhorne Pa. ) burned down after the Gator/John Deere was pulled into the basment after pulling clays for the night, fuel leak I think ??