1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Odd green dot data

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by browntown, Nov 8, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. browntown

browntown TS Member

Hello again, I'm new so be patient with me. I got into this reloading gig with international clays powder and the data was always more powder=higher pressure & higher speed.

Just did some horse trading for 10 pounds of green dot. I look at alliant's data, and the trend is different. Do some powders have a sweet spot and start going downhill in performance after a certain point? Just seems odd that 18 and 21 grains have similar pressures, and then suddenly at 21.1 grains you're in danger zone pressure. This data is the same in the print manual as online.

[​IMG]

2. goose2

goose2 Well-Known Member

I would say it has a mis print somewhere. It makes no since that pressure would fall with more powder.

3. Quack Shot

Quack Shot Active Member

Call Alliant. They have been known to have mis-prints before. I suspect that would be the case, since the data does not look right to me.

4. stokinpls

stokinpls Well-Known Member

Looks like someone hit the "6" key instead of the "8" key. Good eye.

5. wayneo

wayneo Active Member

Change the wad search to a Fig.8- DR RF8 and you will find 21.5 grains, at 1250 fps., 10,600 psi. I agree--call Alliant.

Wayne

6. Hap MecTweaks

Hap MecTweaks Well-Known Member

A few years back I called Ben to ask a question concerning chamber pressure differences but less than this. His response was, "we test the load and record the results." My concern at the time involved less pressure with a hotter primer (same components) which I (thought) should have even more chamber pressure. He explained that sometimes a hotter primer would record less pressure due to the added push of the hotter primer. Powders don't always react (pressure wise) as we think they should.

Printing mistakes do happen now and then regardless and it's always good to question those numbers when in doubt.

Hap

7. wolfram

wolfram Well-Known Member

No doubt a typo or two there but I can tell you that 20 to 21 g of GD and that wad make a very nice 'heavy' 1 1/8 Oz load. If there is such a thing as a sweet spot that would be the range that GD seems to work the best in.

8. miketmx

miketmx Well-Known Member

If you look at the Green Dot recipes for AA hulls everything seems logical with expected rises in pressure and velocity. The Remington hull has normal expected results with Blue Duster and CB3118 12 wads but weird data with WAA12 and Figure 8 wads ???

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.