1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

odd eye dominance

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by romie, Nov 5, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. romie

romie Active Member

I have a friend that said he can't hit anything with his browning O/U and I was asking how it fit which he had no idea.I was going to make sure he was left eye dominant first" he is left handed" We first checked his right eye to find out he cannot close his left eye but when we covered his left his pointing finger moved.When we switched to his left eye his point moved to the left. He said he closes his right eye when he shoots. When I got him to point the gun at me with both eyes open he pointed to the left of my point. He is a dove ,duck hunter.

I didn't know what to tell him but I told him to continue to close his right eye.I need to find him a coach.
    Monty

2. miketmx

miketmx Well-Known Member

"When we switched to his left eye his point moved to the left"

I don't know what that means but a common test for eye dominance is to punch a finger sized hole in a piece of paper and have the person hold the paper at arms length away from his face and look through the hole at a distant object with both eyes open. He then slowly brings the paper closer to his face while keeping both eyes open. At the last stage the hole in the paper should be in front of the dominate eye. Eye dominance is not always a black and white yes or no thing but can be shades of gray and some people have no consistent dominate eye. I am right handed and right eye dominate but I can and do occasionally crossfire when my left eye takes control. I too am unable to close only my right eye without closing both eyes. I use a Uni-Dot hooded fiber optic front bead and it helps. When trapshooting and I'm really struggling with the crossfire I resort to the tape patch on my off shoulder eye lens. I always use the tape patch when I'm bird hunting.

3. Joe Potosky

Joe Potosky Well-Known Member

<iframe width="853" height="480" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/l8kRMpltKuI?rel=0" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

4. deadeye45

deadeye45 Member

Monty,
    If your friend wants to understand it (notice I did not say 'correct it') he could go to this site, search, type in 'eye dominance' and he can read for days on the subject. I have found that a 'sight blinder' from Meadow Industries
    minimizes the problem. Allows both eyes to be open, which perserves depth perception. Takes a little getting used to.
    Deadeye45.

5. country gentleman

country gentleman Member

Only 50 percent of shooters possess all 4 of these qualities
    ! right eye dominant
    2 Both eyes open shooting successfully
    3 No cross firing or shift issues
    4 Right hand skillset

98 percent of our all american trap, skeet and sporting shooters come from this 50 percent demographic. Left hand left eye dom shooters are also considered in this demographic.

The remaining 50 percent are right hand but left eye dom or Left hand but right eye dom. Or have shift issues, crossfire issues or codominance obstacles where no dominance is apparent. All these issues can be accuratly diagnosed by a competent professional.

Note... Half the shooters can pass the Trijicon test with the triangle hand yet NOT be successful 2 eye shooters.

6. idoc

idoc Member

Monty, I don't know how to bring in the YouTube but do a Google search for "you tube Dr Richard Colo". Hope this helps. Rich

7. Joe Potosky

Joe Potosky Well-Known Member

<iframe width="640" height="360" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/FD3TKy-FCnA?rel=0" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

8. romie

romie Active Member

Joe
    This is pretty neat
    Monty

9. Chango2

Chango2 Active Member

I'm a terrible shot, truth be told. Well, very inconsistent. Part of the problem is varying eye acuity due to cataracts and lazik (softness in eyeballs, sometimes sleeping in an odd position puts eyeball out of shape.)

So acuity is a day to day thing with me. Affects night driving and trapshsooting, never know how I can do at the range...from 97/100 to 72/100 depending largely upon acuity which is day to day.

I also am right eyed dominant, but my left eye has the greater acuity. So I do use a dot on left eye to avoid crossfiring.

Now a talented shooter, a "natural", could shoot around this, no pun intended.

Yup, I'd also look for balance in eye acuity.

10. miketmx

miketmx Well-Known Member

Thanks Dr. Rich Colo for a very fascinating video. In my first post I said I was right eye dominate but the occasional crossfire is my problem. Maybe Joe can find the 2nd video because methods of coping with this problem are really important. I have been trying Phil's general guidelines to do whatever it takes and so far it is the rib blinder for trap and the tape patch for hunting.

11. Nutso

Nutso Member

Just use scotch tape, no need to buy a dot, also the dots are typically to small. Cut the tape to fit, and put it on the inside of the lens.

At least that seemed to work best for me.

Tim Beach

12. idoc

idoc Member

Mike,

Sounds like your in control using the methods you mentioned. You would do well following Phil's direction. There hasn't been a sequel yet. The people that did the first one had been going through some changes so it's been delayed.

What I would recommend is making sure that you always soft focus beyond the target line and come back to the target. Never focus inside the target line and move out. Using the former will help you stay away from the conscious barrel better. Hope this helps. Rich

13. gun fitter

gun fitter TS Member

Quack quack quack. or just misinformwd. Incorrect but convient.

In a recient post of mine to shotgunworld I wrote.

"In the words of rollin"Think the water is muddy enough?"

I have studied this subject extensively. There is no such thing as eye dominance! It does not exist.

It is however an easy way to incompletly explain a concept that will be abstract to most. NEUROLOGIC PREFERENCE Actually its the brain that determins the visual image selection or preference not the eyes. only on truly rare occurences of eye strain will the eyes actually loose the ability to focuse and usually when this happens its both eyes to some extent.

We all have a neurologic sidedness to some extent. I refer to this as laterality or sidedness.
    In an efficent brain the sidedness will be well devoloped and uniform left handed left eye right eye right handedness. anything else is weakly devoloped laterality.

The good news we now know much about the plasticity of the brain and the old addage "that you can't teach an old dog new tricks " is no longer true. We can strengthen the brains preference and even teach it to ignore the non prefered image(eye) to varying degrees in all of us.

The bad news is that almost everyone in the shooting world incorectly addresses this as a eye issue and ignore the fact that it's a neurological function.

I'm not faulting anyone; its not their fault, science 15 to 20 years ago was not sufficently devoloped for one to fully understand what is really going on.

Joe"

Now for some science that seems to be in conflict with the Dr.'s video. The macula of the eyes(the part associated with what most refer to as central vision project equally to both hemispheres of the brain. So much for the crossing of the optic nerve.

If anyone has contact information for The doctor please PM me with it I would like to call him and discuuss a few things.

Joe goldberg

14. hmb

hmb Well-Known Member

You have to train your brain. HMB

15. Firewater

Firewater Member

My optical nerve is crossed up with my rectal nerve. It gives me a crappy outlook on life. Mike

16. CharlieAMA

CharlieAMA TS Supporters TS Supporters

Yea, it's called 'Optical Rectosis'. LOL.

17. oz

oz Active Member

I noticed joe goldberg does not have DR. in front of his name.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.