1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Odd AA Wad?

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by WNCRob, Apr 25, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. WNCRob

WNCRob Member

In reloading new once-fired AA hulls that a friend gave me two weeks ago, my primer extraction rod extracted a white, flat "wad" (not cupped), about 1/8th inch thick with pellet deformations on one side. I'm curious to know what it is and why it was still in the hull. Any information will be appreciated.
    Thanks!

WNCRob

2. Ahab

Ahab Well-Known Member

A picture would help to identify it!

3. WNCRob

WNCRob Member

The "wad", as I said, is flat with pellet indentations on one side. If it is a wad, I wonder if is is different than the wads we use in reloading, i.e. no petals? If powder was between the primer and the "wad", it should have exited the barrel upon ignition...but since it stayed inside, perhaps it was a dud, no powder.

WNCRob

4. Ed Y

Ed Y TS Supporters TS Supporters

Sounds like someone put it in there after firing. I've found everything in them from earplugs to chewing gum.

Ed Yanchok

5. Unknown1

Unknown1 Well-Known Member

From gailmk67:

<blockquote><I>I think that is the base wad.</I></blockquote>

Base wads in AA hulls are deep cups, not flat.

<blockquote><I>...This will sometimes come out during firing and lodge in the barrel.</I></blockquote>

I have never seen nor read of a documented case of this happening; lots of "friend's friend's buddy heard..." type of stuff... rumors and fantasies.

Probably someone's shot spacer from inside the shot cup.

MK

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.