1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Oceana

Discussion in 'Uncategorized Threads' started by LOWGUN, Mar 8, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. LOWGUN

LOWGUN TS Member

Anyone know why Oceana cancelled all their scheduled shoot dates? Lived there a few years ago and enjoyed shooting with those folks. Just wondered what happened. Mike

2. luvnbearhugs1

luvnbearhugs1 TS Member

If I recall correctly there was a thread here a couple months ago saying that Oceana closed. That is the place in Hampton Roads/Va Beach, correct?

3. LOWGUN

LOWGUN TS Member

It was on the Naval Air Station in VA. Beach. Mike

4. CalvinMD

CalvinMD Well-Known Member

I recall somebody saying the base Commander closed the trap range as a base security measure...what BS

5. lumper

lumper TS Member

They were required to fence the entire range area to avoid any possible stray access from other parts of Oceana Naval Air Station and they could not afford to do that ... thus ... they closed.

6. ronbo142

ronbo142 TS Member

This is an example of a "Liberal" base commander who is ANTI gun!

I have seen this before, happened in Okinawa and the range is not bulldozed.

I work at Scott AFB and drive on and off base with my CASED shotguns all the time to shoot at the local range. So should the golf course be required to build a fence around its perimeter to keep strays from getting hit on the head? That is whey we have RANGE flags on military ranges to let everyone know that SHOOTING is going on.

I bet the base commander donates to Hillary!

Ronbo

7. Torch

Torch TS Member

I too had the pleasure of shooting at Oceana years ago.

They were great hosts. . .too bad the club is now closed.

As those of us who have served know. . .one doesn't necessarily have to possess common sense to be selected for command.

Bill Doneth

8. lumper

lumper TS Member

Actually the skeet and trap range upon Oceana was run by MWR (morale, welfare and recreation) of the Navy.

It was actually the airbase security that sternly suggested a fence between the ranges and the airbase to prevent access to the flight line, runways and the other restricted areas of the base. The base commander suggested closing the range until this could be done and MWR followed with indefinitely closing the range with no real plans of opening it again. The range was not generating enough income to justify spending more money on a fence vs. what the club was actually generating as income. They had recently done some improvements to the range as well with a newer clubhouse but the range was not paying for itself and was not worth any more expenses.

There was/has been a slight whisper of a mention of making it a membership type self sufficient facility club but nobody as of yet has stepped up to the plate. It doesnt look good for that range.

Oceana was a nice place to shoot and it will be missed but its all about the money and without money things cant survive.

9. MGeslock

MGeslock TS Member

NOTICE FROM NAS OCEANA::

It is with deep regret that I must inform all concerned that the NAS Oceana Virginia Skeet and Trap Range has been ordered closed by the Commanding Officer of NAS Oceana.

According to the staff who operated the range, the range was ordered closed due to "Security Concerns" on the part of the Commanding Officer of NAS Oceana. Conversations with the staff indicate that the range will remain closed for the "foreseeable future".

In the interim, all NSSA Shooting at this facility is cancelled, effective immediately. There were several "monthly targets" and a doubles event refered to as "Kains Follies" on the 2007 schedule. All are null and void.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.