1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Oceana Skeet and Trap to re-open

Discussion in 'Uncategorized Threads' started by BFLip, Feb 23, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. BFLip

BFLip TS Member

Since I know John is really busy getting things ready, I thought I'd take the liberty to let everyone know that NAS Oceana Skeet and Trap range is going to be open for business on 1 Mar, 2008. We lost Trap 3 and 4 because of the new fence, but we'll make do. I'll post a compilation of a few of his emails here:
    John's email daubenj@cox.net

FIRST off - we are still on target for a 1 March launch. The power people
    are diligently working to get everything in by the middle of Feb. We'll
    keep you posted.

ALL GOOD NEWS TODAY!

I will be selling Memberships at the Skeet Range (either the RV Trailer as
    you come in, or the sign will direct you to the Range) for the next 2
    weekends from 1200-1600 all 4 days. Check is preferred, cash if I have to
    but change may be limited. CC'ds will have to be done mid-week at the main
    office, or at the Skeet Range after 1 March. Call me 757-472-7473 to see
    when I'm there each specific day.

I just found out yesterday that we have site approval, and approved work
    order to put in a 3rd Skeet Field (to the left of 'old 5'). We HOPE to have
    it done by the 1st, this is a very aggressive project. The Wobble will be
    moved over to former Skeet 3 once the pads are poured and the new Skeet
    field will be built.

5-stand wiring is completed and they are now working on Skeet 1. We now
    have stable 110v power and lights in all of the houses. Some of the
    machines still run on Converters.

Annual Membership prices are: $40. for Active-duty Military
    $50. for Retired Military
    $60. for Dept. of Defense employees, with ID
    $75. for ALL OTHER non-Military/DoD
    Civilians

Membership will be required for all CIVILIAN personnel. The benefits of
    Membership will be many, but primarily a $2.00 per round discount for
    targets.

2. shot410ga

shot410ga Well-Known Member

Where are you (club) located, state?

3. BFLip

BFLip TS Member

NAS Oceana, Virginia Beach, VA

4. phirel

phirel TS Member

Glad to see this club open again.

Pat Ireland

5. LOWGUN

LOWGUN TS Member

Glad to see it opening again. Did Reb retire? What happened to Randy? Mike

6. BFLip

BFLip TS Member

Pat, I'll probably be contacting you soon, need the 411 on how to run a shoot, etc.

Reb has retired, you'll probably see him out there once it reopens. Haven't seen Randy (bearded Randy, right?) in a while, his job was taking him out of town on long stretches.

I think there will be a sea change once it reopens, allowing us autonomy, increasing involvement of kids, etc., and letting members get some ownership to really make it a fun place to shoot and be involved in shooting. Hope to see y'all there!

7. grunt

grunt TS Supporters TS Supporters

Is this field on the base proper, or outside?

8. buchholz

buchholz TS Member

Grunt, is the range onbase or off. Well that was suppose to be the contention of why it was closed if you listen to the ones who'd like to see it go away had enough of an excuse to get rid of it.

As it turns out, it is in the same place as before if you've ever been there but with the fense that was required to be installed it took away two trap fields as I understand it. So yes it's off the operational base BUT it is still technically on base.

I know that doesn't make sense but that's what the comprimise is as I understand it. Here is the email address of the guy putting it all together daubenj@cox.net (John Daubenschmidt) for any other questions you might have. And I'm only providing my input from what I've deduced from his emails. Sounds like John has put in a lot of effort to rejuvinate it and I'm looking forward to shooting there again, however we have a shoot at Norfolk County this Saturday and it will conflict with the opening of Oceana with me anyway.

It is a good place to shoot and anyone who can run 100 there earns it believe me.

Don Buchholz

Keepon Keepin on

9. buchholz

buchholz TS Member

10. BFLip

BFLip TS Member

Just bumping this up to make sure everyone who's interested can check it out.

11. phirel

phirel TS Member

BFLip- How do you keep the voice release from throwing targets when the Navy fighter jets come in for a landing beside the club? What would happen if a shooter cot confused and shot at one of the Navy plains instead of his target? Would the Navy pilot think that would be funny?

For your first shoot, just tell Clay Floyd that I ordered him to help you a bit. Clay Floyd might be the nicest person in the world. He will laugh and smile the same sincere way if you beat him or he beats you. I would love to come over and shoot with you again but it is nearly a 5 hour drive for me. Most important is to throw the very best targets possible. Nine and a half feet high is not the same a 10 feet high and 42 MPH is different from 43 MPH. Keep checking the targets all day long. Let me know what I can do to help.

Pat Ireland

12. phirel

phirel TS Member

BFLip- How do you keep the voice release from throwing targets when the Navy fighter jets come in for a landing beside the club? What would happen if a shooter cot confused and shot at one of the Navy plains instead of his target? Would the Navy pilot think that would be funny?

For your first shoot, just tell Clay Floyd that I ordered him to help you a bit. Clay Floyd might be the nicest person in the world. He will laugh and smile the same sincere way if you beat him or he beats you. I would love to come over and shoot with you again but it is nearly a 5 hour drive for me. Most important is to throw the very best targets possible. Nine and a half feet high is not the same a 10 feet high and 42 MPH is different from 43 MPH. Keep checking the targets all day long. Let me know what I can do to help.

Pat Ireland

13. trapperjohn

trapperjohn TS Member

Pat,

Have you ever been able to beat Clay? That would make you a member of a very exclusive fraternity. He can, probably, tell the difference between 42 and 43mph.

Trapper John

14. vatrap

vatrap Member

Please post the hours of operation, target prices, contact info. etc.
    We will get the info updated on the Virginia Trapshooting Association website.

Mike

15. BFLip

BFLip TS Member

Mike, sorry I didn't follow up sooner on your reply.

Right now, members will pay $3.50 a round for targets (going off John's earlier email, that means $5.50 per round non-member). The posted op hours are 1000-1800 Wednesday thru Sunday. Registered shoots on the weekend are slated to kick off at 0800.

The number to the range is 433-2875.

Some new improvements, members can reserve "tee" times to reserve a field Wed-Friday in 1.5 hour increments. Group outings are encouraged and the range staff will have the flexibility to schedule "off" hours if a sufficient number of shooters will be attending.

The first sanctioned fun shoot is scheduled for 26 April, after which the MWR will host a meeting for members, to discuss the establishment of shooting clubs, etc. Right now we have surpassed 400 paying members.

Hope to see y'all out there!

16. BFLip

BFLip TS Member

Just to allay some concerns, you do not have to be a member to shoot registered targets. Mike has informed me that ATA rules delineate what prices are charged and some of the rules governing registered shoots etc. (See, I told you I've got some serious advisors)

Like I stated earlier, I'm learning as we go.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Search tags for this page

clay floyd trapshooting