1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Occasional Flinch

Discussion in 'Uncategorized Threads' started by 8 1/2 shot, Aug 12, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. 8 1/2 shot

8 1/2 shot TS Member

I occasionally get a small flinch, usually not costing a target, at least not lately. But I can discern the flinch. Not recoil related but related to just not being properly on the target as trigger is pulled. Will a release trigger make a diff with non recoil associated flinching?

2. miketmx

miketmx Well-Known Member

If all flinches were related to recoil, would it not make sense that the cure would simply be using a lighter load?? My prediction is that your occasional flinch will get worse not better. I wish you no malice but my trapshooting experience started in 1961.

3. Cherokee Kid

Cherokee Kid TS Member

A release will improve your scores overall as it is a smoother shooting action and eliminate your flinch.

4. phirel

phirel TS Member

I fully agree with miketmx. A temporary fix that may serve you for a few years would be to make your trigger a bit heaver. Light triggers seem to promote flinching and a heavy trigger decreases the frequency of flinches.

Pat Ireland

5. Gayles57

Gayles57 Member

Wow, another flinch thread in less than a week. I also have/had that occasional flinch, I would pull the trigger but there would be a hesitation before the gun fired. I also noticed that when I flinched, I would pull the gun down and to the left. I inquired about this around the club and was told it was a left arm flinch, one member told me that I was gripping the forearm to tight and when I pulled the trigger I'm gripping it even harder causing the unwanted gun motion. The advice was to get a release trigger now because you are going to need it later.

I got the new release trigger. While I was shooting the pattern board, I found that when I pulled the trigger to set the release, I would pull the gun off the aim point, down and too the left. I did it every time I set the trigger. I now feel that have been doing the left arm flinch almost every time I pulled the trigger. This explains why I could shoot a target presentation and hit it one time and subsequently miss the same presentation. I'm beginning to see better consistency. Instead of contracting muscles to fire the gun, I'm relaxing them.

Hope this helps

Regards

Gayle

6. 8 1/2 shot

8 1/2 shot TS Member

Good information and I appreciate it. I notice as well that after shooting shotgun almost exclusively I want to pull/slap, say that flinch when rifle or handgun shooting. Gotta really concentrate to get good groups. I am thinking that the same effect it occurring with a shotgun but not so noticeable as the pattern is large. There has got to be some movement to the barrel with an agressive trigger pull. I am assuming that a release, being a gentle movement rather that an agressive pull may cause an improvement. Seems like most who responded think so as well. My trigger is currently set at 3 lbs. jlr

7. phirel

phirel TS Member

Your trigger pull is now what I would call medium. Going up a pound or so might help temporarily.

Pat Ireland

8. ric3677

ric3677 Well-Known Member

Pat did say "temporarily". Read what that means.

shoot well and have fun......Rickyd

9. Paladin

Paladin Well-Known Member

8 1/2;

Try using a lower hold point. You will be able to track the bird better, longer and more precise, IMHO. And try it more than just 25 targets. This raised my doubles average by almost three percent.

10. grnberetcj

grnberetcj Active Member

You're "Crossfiring".....causing you to think you're flinching.

Do a test for crossfiring before spending alot of money on a release trigger(s).

Curt - Delaware