1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Observations on Olympic Trap Finals

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by pdq, Aug 10, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. pdq

pdq Member

Just watched the finals with the fellow from Croatia winning the shootoff after being tied at 146/150.

Couple of things.

First, apparently protective eye wear isn't required as at least 1 guy had no glasses on.

Next, instead of mounting the butt of the gun even with the top of the shoulder a couple of the guys has the top of the recoil pad a good 4" down from the top. I suspect they do this to create built in vertical lead.

Here I thought the targets were set at a speed of 70MPH. According to the stats page they put up, they fly at 70KPH, which equated to 43.5MPH.

Finally, when they showed the slow motion of the flash targets breaking, those guys weren't inkballing the targets -- instead they were breaking them in half or leaving large solid chucks in the air.

Interesting.

Pete

2. Joe Potosky

Joe Potosky Well-Known Member

Yes, glasses not required.

They have the speed stated wrong. I think the average is around 63mph. Will be corrected if I'm worng.

24gram loads. No ink balls for every shot....

3. PAR8HED

PAR8HED Member

Pete,

From a couple of other threads, but to continue here. Under ISSF rules, hearing and eye protection is "strongly encouraged" but not mandatory.

Most will mount with the top of the recoil pad in the space under the collar bone next to the shoulder joint. One major reason for this is to control muzzle flip on a second shot. Finals are shot single barrel, qualifications use both barrels.

Targets are set first to a given height, then to fly for 76m plus or minus 1m. So for a 1.5 meter target, depending on altitude, it will be moving in the neighborhood of 60-65 mph. For a 3m target, much slower. Most, if not all, targets will each be traveling at a different speed from the bunker.

Finally, there are ink dots, but not every shot. These are 24g loads, not the 1 1/8 oz ATA loads. Think 20g load in a 12g gun, you're not going to get hard hits.

HJH

4. pdq

pdq Member

Thanks everyone. One of the cool things was a close up in slo-mo -- you could see the shot cloud going out and the pellets were shining in the sunlight.

Pete

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.