1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Observations: messing around with American select

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by Border Bandit, Apr 17, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Border Bandit

Border Bandit Well-Known Member

From the get-go, this seems to be a powder with a very narrow application window, I believe mostly as a handicap powder. It's a "tick" faster burning than Green Dot, and a bit more expensive, although, in my hands seems to have none of the hoped for advantages. It's no cleaner, and if anything, somewhat more sensitive to cold weather than Green Dot, especially with 1 1/8oz loads using Remington primers, Spolar wads, @19gr and below. I got "bloopers" with it in 40-50 degree weather, while it takes sub 30 degrees to have much effect on Green Dot. At 20gr, with the above components, it shoots well with good breaks in singles or handicap, but then again, so does Green Dot.

Bottom line: it doesn't show advantages over Green Dot and, to me, not worth the extra cost, never mind it's narrow performance parameters. As a single application powder, say 20gr for single/handicap loads, it could be a good performer in warm weather; but hardly worth the effort.

best...mike.

2. perga1

perga1 Active Member

My experience with this powder has been totally different. I have used it since it's inception in loads from 7/8 ounce to 1-1/8 ounce. I used it for several years in MA in temps down to 0 degrees. I never experienced a squib load and with 1-1/8 ounce it is one of the cleanest powders I have ever used and a lot cleaner than Green Dot. I never did like Remington primers because I had bad experiences with them with 800X. Most of the Am SEL loads were with Federal or Fiocchi primers. I have used many powders over the years and American Select has always patterned better form my guns than any of the others including Green Dot. My favorite load for handicap is 20 grs. AMSEL, Gold Medal hull, Federal 12S3 wad and Federal 209 primer. JRM

3. goatskin

goatskin TS Member

BB, Perga is right.

Lose the Rem primers and you'll smile a lot more. Actually, that advice applies to every power.

AS in answer in search of a problem: it is another in a long Alliant history of competing with themselves.

Like GD, AS is a handicap powder with other uses.

Like RD, e3 is a 1oz powder, ....

etc.

Bob

4. wlc

wlc Member

American Select is all that I use now. I load 1 oz and 1-1/8 oz at about 1150 fps. I have never had any issues with it using Cheddite, Winchester, and Remington primers. I used to use Red Dot for the same loads and might switch back when my AS is gone. I can't see any difference for my use and Red Dot is a little easier to find.

5. Twinbirds

Twinbirds TS Member

I have broke more hundreds with AS than any other powder, but then I have used it more intently than any other powder in the last 15 years.Just like JRM my favorite load for handicap is 20 grs. AMSEL, Gold Medal hull, Federal 12S3 wad and Federal 209 primer. Seemed soft and fast.There is so little difference over Green dot, probably not worth the difference, but shooters get stuff in their head.......

6. smokinold32

smokinold32 Member

I use it all the time and I like it. I was a clays fan for years but then we had a hard time finding it. I went to e3, same thing. It was hard to find from time to time. A guy suggested I should try American Select so I did. My son and I shoot the same load. This is our load:19.5 gr. American Select, Cheddite primer, cb1100(pink AA type) claybuster for 1oz.(no 8's) in a Remington hull. It is plenty fast, and don't bang you your teeth from recoil. My son is not a big kid so the recoil was a concern. He just turned 14 and has been shooting this load for about 2 years. His 3200 seems to like it. Break em all, break em often. Bob

7. typhoon

typhoon TS Member

I read all these comments with interest as I am tempted by Alliance claim this is one of thier cleanest burning powders. I have been shooting about 17 grains of Red Dot, windjammer wad, with Remington hulls and primers. This combination works well enough, but my hope is to find something significantly cleaner. I have tried Clays, and it does not seem much better.

Bottom line question, will I find American Select significantly cleaner that Red Dot or Clays? If not, any other suggestions?

8. Ahab

Ahab Well-Known Member

Might I suggest that if it goes bang every time and breaks birds ... simply clean your gun when done shooting!

9. goatskin

goatskin TS Member

Typhoon, the short answer is yes, AS is considerably cleaner than RD.

It looks like you are shooting an 1120fps load, with 17gn of RD.

Alliant has a Rem/Rem/Windjammer AS load, of 20.5gn: 1200fps and 9100psi.

I predict you'll love it, and if you want to drop down to 19.5 or 19.7 to get to 1120fps, it would work just fine, too.

The other super-clean powders are Accurate N100 and S1000, and they don't match your components well.

Bob

10. minnship8

minnship8 Well-Known Member

Shot as quite a bit with win209's out of different hulls and liked everything about out, except one thing...it really scorched the hulls badly and severely diminished the number of times they could be reloaded.

Chip Porter

11. bkt514

bkt514 Active Member

I still like 19.5 grains of GreenDot, CB6100 or 6118 wad, Federal Primer, 1 or 11/8 oz or #8, all tucked into a Federal Gold Medal. Not as clean as some, but I clean my gun after every practice or shoot.

12. STOS

STOS Member

I have not found anything cleaner than Hodgdons Clays!!!

13. Beretta680

Beretta680 Member

Ahab

I feel exactly the same way.

Ray Brightbill

14. typhoon

typhoon TS Member

Ok wise guys, I do clean my gun when done shooting. But some shoots I go to have 4 events in a day. Add a couple practice rounds and that's a lot of shooting before having a chance to clean. Besides, hulls and hands get dirty too. As mentioned above, hulls last longer if the powder burns cleaner. If I can find a load & powder that goes bang as is cleaner to boot, why would I NOT switch?

Thanks to those that provided some helpful advise, base on experience.

15. Bruce Em

Bruce Em Member

I would venture that hulls last longer with dirty loads. Why? Because they are lower pressure. High pressure , clean burn but burns hulls

Low pressure, dirty ...

Can't have it all, or can we?

Primers make a big difference. Now that its warmer, I can use up the NSport I have had cold weather bloopers with.

regards

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.