1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

OBSERVATIONS MADE SHOOTING DOUBLES!!!!

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by senior smoke, Aug 8, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. senior smoke

senior smoke Well-Known Member

HELLO;
    recently i was watching shooters shooting doubles at our state shoot. couple interesting things i noticed. i saw numerous shooters ink balling targets, then when a shooter missed his first target out, alot of times he botched the pair. why is that? secondly, i saw an entire squad shooting in rythem, ink balling targets, until one of the shooters started shooting the angle target first, then shooting the straight away? over the years i have known shooters who have shot lots of skeet do this, because they were use to shooting angles. to me, i think if i am shooting after the guy who shoots his angle target first, i might not be to happy with him. to me it screws up the rythem, especially for the shooter who follows this person shooting angles first. most of the shooters i watched used over and unders. they were a few with semi suto's. i was talking to some seasoned double shooters afterwards and they all said they don't like auto's on their double squad, main reason, they don't want to get plunked by the shell, and one guy with a very expensive gun said he doesn't want the shell to hit his gun and scratch the stock or the blueing.
    what is your take on my observations?
    steve balistreri

2. bigdogtx

bigdogtx Well-Known Member

maybe he didn't want to get shown up by an auto,,,,seems to me years ago, several top shooters used pumps and autos....;)

3. Post  2

Post 2 TS Member

When the first target was missed in doubles the shooter was probably watching it and his timing was destroyed along with his consentration. Automatics can be fitted with defflector to throw the shell foreword. Persons shooting a auto with out the deflector cause a distraction to the person on there right no doubt about it, for right handed shooters.

When shooting doubles many shooters shoot the straight away second. If you are watching for your first bird position it shouldn't bother you, if it does don't squad with some one who shoots angles first. It is the shooters perogetive (sp) not his squad mates. Post-2

4. senior smoke

post 2- i agree with almost everything you have said. i still believe top double shooters feel a squadmate shooting the angle target first, messes up the person shooting right after him or her. i am willing to bet 95% or better shoot the straight away first.
    steve

5. BDodd

BDodd TS Member

I have two shoot mates that shoot Right/left regardless of their station and it has no effect on my shooting my birds - I can miss them quite well on my own.....Bob Dodd

6. ivanhoe

ivanhoe Well-Known Member

If you are shooting your game and not paying attention to what I am doing. It shouldn't bother your score and I don't care if you are a D class shooter or an All American AAA shooter.

Which target I shoot first shouldn't bother the out come of your score. If it does you have no concentration and that is the reason it matters what target the other guy shoots first. Just my opinion.

Bob Lawless

7. midalake

midalake Well-Known Member

Well Q-1 As a shooter who "botch's" very few pairs, so far 6 pairs this year in about 2000 targets. Also I miss very few first targets. I am more apt to miss the second target when 1. I have made a really poor first target move 2. The wind has the targets going high on the first shot and low for the second. Maybe next year I will keep track of how many first targets I miss total but my guess is I am over 80% conversion on a first target miss. Q-2 If I am paying attention to what target the shooter next to me shoots first, should I also see if their right or left handed? Q-3 I am not wild if someone is shooting an Auto and is bouncing shells of me or even better, over my gun as I hold it. Am I going to tell him he is a big dork, or complain.....no, but he or she is.

GS

8. phirel

phirel TS Member

Shooting the angled target first should not bother any of the squad mates, but it can be a surprise to an experienced scorer.

If I do not break the first target smoothly and quickly, I struggle on the second target. I miss too many first targets. This is probably because I shoot the first target as just quick thing I have to do before I go after the second target. I also try to pay little attention to what the wind is doing to the targets of others on my squad. If I anticipate the wind blowing my targets up, I seem to always get surprised at what the wind does to my targets.

Pat Ireland

9. logndog

logndog TS Member

I swear, people go to great lenghts to find ways to miss targets, and this is a perfect example! I could care less what happens next to me before or after I shoot! Growing up my brother and I (Randy), would throw hulls and try to make each other laugh when we were shooting, and we were never shooting unless were betting something! Once I set that trigger I am not of aware of anything else in this world other than the target that appears. I usually don't involved in these threads but I just read the one about a woman that was complaining about shells hitting the ground........come on give me a break. That is almost as stupid as someone being bothered by someone shooting the right bird first on doubles! I am right handed, suffer from aymblopia in my right eye in which I am legaly blind, have had to learn to shoot left handed, which included is having to shoot double releases because of the massive flinch I developed due to my brain wanting to pull the trigger with my right hand and on top of all of this I have to wear a +6 perscription contact lenses. So due to my vision and skewed feild of vision I shoot the right bird first all the way through on doubles. So please excuse me for handicaping you by doing so!
    Earnie Ross III

10. senior smoke

Earnie Ross lll- i am glad that you are still able to shoot.
    take care,
    steve balistreri

11. Trap2

Trap2 Well-Known Member

One reason for missing a pair is when the first target does not come out where it's supposed to. If you are shooting a Pat trap, your first target can be just about anywhere from 2 feet to the left or right of where the one you were just watching did, and that will really play heck with your move to the second target. Doubles is all about timing and fluid movement to the second target. When that first target comes out too far from where it should, it effects your move to the second target, and the only thing I have found that will save you from hearing "lost" on that second target is trigger control.... Dan Thome (Trap2)

12. logndog

logndog TS Member

Senior smoke,Thank you.
    ER3

13. Bruce Em

Bruce Em Member

I havent mastered the success as well as the error part; I learn more from failure than success.

What can go wrong?

You miss the first and lift your head in disbelief. How can you possibly hit the second now?

Like golf, there is only one player in the game, you.
    Nothing anyone else legally does can interfere with what you are thinking, or doing, or how you feel. Why would you give them that power?

Angle first is a different shot from the other way around but how much different is the sound and timing? Next made up distraction is the others shooters faster or slower reaction times. why would you let it bother you per the above point. Managing distractions is a skill, perhaps so too is making them.

Is watching others birds bad for you? If you are thinking where YOU would break it and it doesnt break there, are you programming a bad habit or anxiety? Even worse would be you following (behind) their bird with your gun and watching it break. Of course this is ridiculous in Trap, but point is you are programming yourself to think you can break them by shooting behind. Don't laugh, your mind can do odd things.

There are many "mechanical" shooters out there, they call and move regardless of what they see or dont see. Also for trap readers. My son and I train without calling. The bird comes when one of us feels like pushing the button. Makes it interesting and forces you to really LOOK at the bird, one of the prerequisites of hitting it reliably.

I know I make other errors like getting too used to good results that the technique falls off and so then do the scores.

best regards

14. larryjk

larryjk Member

A famous double shooter made a video on shooting doubles. He said "If you see the first bird break, you are admiring your work too long". I think he is right.
    If what someone else is doing bothers you, you are not into the concentration of trapshooting.

15. hmb

hmb Well-Known Member

Always watch the bird break, that way you make adjustments inorder to center up your hits. HMB

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.