1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

obscure auto shotguns like rem 878, ithica 51

Discussion in 'Uncategorized Threads' started by SD duck, Mar 22, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. SD duck

SD duck TS Member

OR high standard SUPERMATIC. I realise these were never popular. Were any of them real good anyway? Any particular weaknesses? Thanks for any and all replies.

2. rlcammer

rlcammer TS Member

I have an Ithaca M51 Trap. I have two triggers, one pull, one release. Full choke.

It obliterates targets.............

Ric C.

3. shot410ga

shot410ga Well-Known Member

I had a Model 51, used it for duck hunting. It was the only auto I ever had that would eject every reload I ever put through it. Others I owned would hang up sells on a regular basis. Not with new shells only reloads. That Model 51 never missed a lick and was seldom cleaned.

4. ou.3200

ou.3200 Well-Known Member

I have owned 3 Ithaca 51s, Trap, Skeet and 20ga field. They functioned very reliably and due to the design of the gas piston were very easy to clean when needed. The only weakness that I found was the design of the action bars. One of the bars on the trap model broke and I was not able to find a replacement.

5. W.P.T.

W.P.T. TS Member

I bought my wife a Model 51 when she first started shooting, what a piece of junk ... It broke the action arm, and I replaced it one time ... It lasted all of two weeks and broke again ... The gun sits in the corner of the closet and ain't worth the trouble of moving it out of the way ... I might just burn it but if it burns like it shoots it won't last very long ... I bought her a Model 12 after this experience and never looked back ... Talk about Garbage, its just another way to spell Ithaca, its no wonder that went out of business ... WPT ... (YAC) ...

6. Hauxfan

Hauxfan Well-Known Member

I also own a Model 51 Ithaca. I put Anton wood on it, shoots great, but back then I couldn't find anyone that could build me a release trigger, so I never shot it much.

The one great thing about it was that it never failed to cycle when shooting doubles. Unlike other auto loaders it was very reliable and I never worried that it wouldn't work.

Still got it sitting in the gun cabinet.

Hauxfan!

7. rlcammer

rlcammer TS Member

Hauxfan..........

Bill Gillette of Okeechobee, FL, invented the release for me.......

Want to sell yours?

Ric C.

8. Hauxfan

Hauxfan Well-Known Member

Ric, that might be an option, but I right now I don't have a clue as to what to ask for it. It has an Anton stock on it, and I think somewhere I have the original stock too.

I probably haven't shot the gun for 20+ years or so, but it shot okay then.

One time a guy was shooting a 1100 Remington and his gun broke down, so I let him borrow my Ithaca 51. Well, he just inkballed the next 25 and then he wanted to know if I would sell it. At the time, I wasn't interested, but we could talk about it if you'd like.

Hauxfan!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.