1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Objections to shooting reloads?

Discussion in 'Uncategorized Threads' started by ffwildcat, Mar 19, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ffwildcat

ffwildcat TS Member

Apart from the obvious - "I can afford factory so why should I shoot reloads" answer from the well heeled among us.........why would you object to shooting reloads?

Safety?

Variability?

Unknown source?

FTF's?

I'm curious to understand the mindset....I know a few local shooters who wouldn't go near a reload if if was the last shell on earth.

What say you?

PS. I shoot mostly reloads, my own and they're a high quality product. So now you know my bias.

2. ffwildcat

ffwildcat TS Member

pps.

I forgot the 2nd most obvious answer - time!

Your turn.

3. plinker61

plinker61 TS Member

its a hobby for me too,i shoot a premium reload also,and have noticed alot better break,less recoil,and the pride knowing i made the shell,cant get that with a inexpensive wallmart shell,mark

4. ec90t

ec90t Guest

One of my shooting buddies always uses the excuse that doesn't have to worry about "dud" shells. Low and behold, he had 4 dud shells Saturday night that cost him a couple of dollars. My answer to him was, when is the last time that you heard one of my reloads misfire. I average less than 1 misfire in a 1000 rounds.

ec90t

5. frostyman

frostyman Well-Known Member

A lot of people are afraid to shoot other people's reloads but not their own. Just for safety sake you never know how someone else loaded their shells.

6. ffwildcat

ffwildcat TS Member

Frostyman,

No doubt this is the primary concern - the unknown quality of some dude's reloads. I cannot imagine shooting them through my own gun. I do shoot reloads from people I know, just to feel how their loads shoot but it is not common to see reloads passed around like they're free beer.

7. blizzard

blizzard Active Member

i've never had a ftf on one of my reloads. honestly. but i got this over the weekend during the trophy shoot of my home club's intramural. i like my reloads even better now.

<a href="http://photobucket.com" target="_blank">[​IMG]</a>

<a href="http://photobucket.com" target="_blank">[​IMG]</a>

brett d.

8. awbenz

awbenz TS Member

Reloads are a wide range. Some are great, some not. Some reload untell the brass comes off the hull, some throw there bad hulls away before this happens. Some press there primers to deep. One Dud is not a big deal. Two misfires on each post is. Having to dig each hull out with your pocket knife is a little much. Cheap powder that blows back in your eyes is annoying.

I shoot both and the big advantage with reloading is you can load what you want and not go to several stores to find 3dr. 2 3/4dr. 1oz. 1 1/8oz ETC.

Allen

9. BDodd

BDodd TS Member

I'm clearly more confident in my reloads than most factory shells. They are customized to my likes, my gear, my cost, and their effectiveness. Like another above, I can't remember ever having a dud shell...oh wait sometime in the 100,000 or so Cheddite powered reloads years ago, I had one that had no anvil or fire in the primer. Before or after that, if I had any they can't be recalled. Would I shoot any factory loads? Sure in a pinch or when given as a trophy but I try hard then to sell or trade them back for cash. Now, any other reloads? No, I try really hard to avoid another person's reloads unless I'm real familiar with that person's knowledge, methods, and reloading history.....breakemall....Bob Dodd

10. miketmx

miketmx Well-Known Member

I am convinced that my reloads are superior in quality to the Walmart cheapie factory loads. I have shot real good 27 yard handicap scores with em, but I won't say that they are better than premium factory shells like AA or STS. It used to be a real chore to load reloads for all my registered shooting, so now I buy quite a few cheapie factory loads just for Singles and Doubles and pitch the empties. I don't believe the cheapie shells are good enough for Handicap events so I either use my reloads or buy premium shells.

11. Express

Express TS Member

It seems like most of the AAA/27/AAA guys are shooting new stuff. I never see the big guns shooting reloads or even saving their hulls.

12. Dennisw

Dennisw Member

I myself shoot mostly reloads, AAA/27/AA (almost AAA in dbls 95+%). I have a nice one ounce load that i like on singles and doubles, I have shot it for years, when i win new shells, i usually take 3 1 1/8 7 1/2 for handicap. I usually dont reload handicap shells. I think I am just to lazy to change my loaded back and forth, plus that way I never get my reloads mixed up, I know whatever they are, they are lite 1 ounce loads.
    As for Handicap loads, Estates... Rio... Gun Club.. basically anything cheap. I cant say that I even remember the last dud shell I had, new or reload.

Dennis Whitlock

13. phirel

phirel TS Member

MrkSLC - You stated that the Rem. factory shells were definitely inferior to your reloads. Could you be more specific? Did the POI change, was it a velocity change or a pattern dispersal problem?

I have had factory shells that did not fire or fired very weakly. I have had reloads that had nicked or cocked wads and did not shoot well. I have even let my powder bottle run dry and this produces poor reloads. Since neither my reloads nor my factory shells are perfect, I shoot both, because I am not perfect either.

Pat Ireland

14. Mike Michalski

Mike Michalski Member

Reload rule #1: shoot only your own, especially in rifle and pistol reloads. If you are going to shoot another shotshell reload for comparison purposes then ONLY use those from a trusted friend. One who will pay your medical expenses, buy you a new gun, and happily settle the law suit when your gun blows up!

15. thewolf

thewolf TS Member

I read an article which chronicled the life fo a hull. New they are smooth inside and had no crimp memory. This gave the most velocity. As they went through 1-10 firings the steadily lost velocity with the same load. In a game with 38-40yd breaks with 30" patterns I suspect this doesn't much matter. I suspect the problems arise when mixing hulls. Win/Rem/Fed 1x,2x,7x variations could easily result in 30-40fps difference. This probably results in 5-6" lead on a hard right from 5. There is a difference. Me, I don't have time to reload.

16. oz

oz Active Member

if you go to a store to buy shells there are lots of the shells they think you should buy. they don't have the ones I want, therefore I reload. oz

17. alfermann66

alfermann66 Member

ec90t, methinks you're not paying enough attention to your reloading with 1 mis-fire per 1000.

Buz

18. Post  2

Post 2 TS Member

I never shoot another persons reloads in my guns period. I would rather everybody else who is shooting beside me shot factories. Thats not going to happen so I choose whom I shoot with. One dud in 1000 is way to many for me.
    In over thirty years of reloading my reload failure is based on faulty primers 99.999 percent of the time. Once I inserted a spent primer and once I double charged a load. It does happen.

Post-2

19. gcbluerock

gcbluerock Member

I only object to those who only shoot new shells. Especially the ones who dont fork over thier empties for me to reload. lol Reloading isnt just an option, its a lifestyle.

20. thewolf

thewolf TS Member

Pat I will try to explain how I came to this conclusion. Bird leaves trap at aroung 42mph. This is roughly 62 fps. (42x5280)+60+60 Average breaks are 38-40yds or 120ft. At 1200fps the shot takes 1/10 of a second to reach the bird. 1200fps/120(feet to target) If we slow the charge down to 1150 it takes .1043 sec to reach the target. In the .0043 second difference the intersection point has moved .027ft ir 3.25 inches. In a 30" circle it wouldn't matter unless you missed by 3.24 inches. I do apoligize for my inaccuracy I had not done the math before I typed. In your hypothetical 1300 vs 1150fps scenerio the difference would be aroung 10". If the shells are consistant these adjustments would make themselves but if your reloads are all over the place it could matter. I even bore myself with this stuff.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.