1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Obamacare

Discussion in 'Politics, Elections & Legislation' started by capulona, Dec 3, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. capulona

capulona TS Member

http://www.forbes.com/sites/rickungar/2011/12/02/the-bomb-buried-in-obamacare-explodes-today-halleluja/

The Bomb Buried In Obamacare Explodes Today Halleluja!

Image by AFP via @daylife

I have long argued that the impact of the Affordable Care Act is not nearly as big of a deal as opponents would have you believe. At the end of the day, the law is – in the main – little more than a successful effort to put an end to some of the more egregious health insurer abuses while creating an environment that should bring more Americans into programs that will give them at least some of the health care coverage they need.

There is, however, one notable exception – and it’s one that should have a long lasting and powerful impact on the future of health care in our country.

How Much Do We Spend On Health Care? The Big Picture
    Carolyn McClanahan
    Contributor
    Can Big Data Fix Healthcare?
    Colin Hill
    Contributor

Snapshot: Barack Obama
    Follow
    #1 Powerful People
    That would be the provision of the law, called the medical loss ratio, that requires health insurance companies to spend 80% of the consumers’ premium dollars they collect—85% for large group insurers—on actual medical care rather than overhead, marketing expenses and profit. Failure on the part of insurers to meet this requirement will result in the insurers having to send their customers a rebate check representing the amount in which they underspend on actual medical care.

This is the true ‘bomb’ contained in Obamacare and the one item that will have more impact on the future of how medical care is paid for in this country than anything we’ve seen in quite some time. Indeed, it is this aspect of the law that represents the true ‘death panel’ found in Obamacare—but not one that is going to lead to the death of American consumers. Rather, the medical loss ratio will, ultimately, lead to the death of large parts of the private, for-profit health insurance industry.

Why? Because there is absolutely no way for-profit health insurers are going to be able to learn how to get by and still make a profit while being forced to spend at least 80 percent of their receipts providing their customers with the coverage for which they paid. If they could, we likely would never have seen the extraordinary efforts made by these companies to avoid paying benefits to their customers at the very moment they need it the most.

Today, that bomb goes off.

Today, the Department of Health & Human Services issues the rules of what insurer expenditures will—and will not—qualify as a medical expense for purposes of meeting the requirement.

As it turns out, HHS isn’t screwing around. They actually mean to see to it that the insurance companies spend what they should taking care of their customers.

Here’s an example: For months, health insurance brokers and salespeople have been lobbying to have the commissions they earn for selling an insurer’s program to consumers be included as a ‘medical expense’ for purposes of the rules. HHS has, today, given them the official thumbs down, as well they should have. Selling me a health insurance policy is simply not the same as providing me with the medical care I am entitled to under the policy. Sales is clearly an overhead cost in any business and had HHS included this as a medical cost, it would have signaled that they are not at all serious about enforcing the concept of the medical loss ratio.

So, can private health insurance companies manage to make a profit when they actually have to spend premium receipts taking care of their customers’ health needs as promised?

Not a chance-and they know it. Indeed, we are already seeing the parent companies who own these insurance operations fleeing into other types of investments. They know what we should all know – we are now on an inescapable path to a single-payer system for most Americans and thank goodness for it.

Whether you are a believer in the benefits of single-payer health coverage or an opponent, mark this day down on your calendar because this is the day seismic shifts in our health care system finally get under way.

If you thought that the Obama Administration chickened out on pushing the nation in the direction of universal health care for everyone, today is the day you begin to understand that the reality is quite the contrary.

2. Setterman

Setterman Well-Known Member

That's right it's great. That's why Congress and over 500 businesses and unions are trying to opt out of it.

3. Brian in Oregon

Brian in Oregon Well-Known Member

Deplorable Bitter Clinger in Liberal La La Land
    Yeah, irony, the very people who backed Obama and this crap want out of it.

4. slic lee

slic lee Active Member

From what I heard and got myself last week was cancellation of health care policy for our group that was according to the health care provider too small to be insured.
    If govt insurance was the right way to go I would be happy to pay up but its not so. The govt wants the profit instead of the health care company and we all know govt cant count past 5 without making a mistake.
    What you left out "you lying piece of crap" is that "HIT" is taking effect now; this is a bill hidden away in O's HCB that will destroy thousands of small businesses and each 10 year period will cost 360K jobs and remove 130 billion dollars in income from our GDP each and every 10 years yet the morons in congress have not repealed this bill, they are "talkin about it" big help yet there is more coming at us in the same bill. How do you get blood from a stone? Lee

5. daddiooo

daddiooo TS Supporters TS Supporters

Somebodys been drinkin' the koolaid again.

It's another government ponzi scheme....designed to make the ruling class even more powerful, with more control over your life and personal health decisions. I'm sure they'll get rich in the process too.

Folks need to wake up and read this POS.

6. grntitan

grntitan Well-Known Member

I think someone has been smoking crack as well............

7. BIG JIM IN BAKERSFIELD

BIG JIM IN BAKERSFIELD TS Member

"TRUST ME, I WILL CHANGE THE WORLD".....

8. Barrelbulge(Fl)

Barrelbulge(Fl) TS Supporters TS Supporters

That was a good one Jim. Sent it on to most in my address book. Thanks,Bulge

9. Brian in Oregon

Brian in Oregon Well-Known Member

Deplorable Bitter Clinger in Liberal La La Land
    Never forget the prototype for ObamaCare was RomneyCare.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.