1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Obama will protect the Second Amendment/

Discussion in 'Uncategorized Threads' started by Brian in Oregon, Jun 8, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Brian in Oregon

Brian in Oregon Well-Known Member

Deplorable Bitter Clinger in Liberal La La Land
    Going back in time here, many of us reported that the American Hunters & Shooters Association was a fake pro-gun group whose purpose was to get anti-gun legislation passed and anti-gun politicians elected, all under the guise of being concerned sportsmen for common sense gun laws. Some trapshooters here called us liars and other names saying we were wrong and did not know what we were talking about.<br>
    <br>
    Here is prima facia evidence that AHSA is indeed anti-gun.<br>
    <br>
    AHSA Endorses Obama, April 16, 2008<br>
    <br>
    Obama: He "gets it"<br>
    <br>
    Today, as President of the American Hunters and Shooters Association (AHSA), I announced our endorsement of Senator Barack Obama for the Democratic nomination for President of the United States . Because the gun issue has recently become a factor in the Democratic primary in Pennsylvania , I want to share the remarks I made today:<br>
    <br>
    As a gun rights organization we have not come to this decision lightly. We were formed two years ago because our research shows that millions of gun owners wanted a change. They not only wanted an organization that would protect their gun rights but an organization that was also committed to the protection of their communities as well as the protection of our lands. We reached out to the Obama campaign several weeks ago to offer our support and approval as was reported by Paul Bedard of US News and World Report. We believe recent attacks on Senator Obama's stand on the 2nd Amendment and his commitment to our hunting and shooting heritage are unfair and American Hunters and Shooters Association is stepping up to set the record straight.<br>
    <br>
    Senator Obama has clearly demonstrated his commitment to the 2nd Amendment by his vote in support of the Vitter amendment to HR 5441, the Department of Homeland Security Appropriations bill of 2007. This amendment prevents the Government from confiscating guns in a time of crisis or emergency. Imagine how the citizens felt during Hurricane Katrina when government agents kicked in doors to confiscate law abiding citizens' guns at a time when they needed them the most. We know Senator Obama "gets it." To say that he is an elitist is patently ridiculous. To hunters and shooters everywhere, Senator Obama's vote demonstrated a fundamental understanding of the meaning of the 2nd Amendment which means he recognizes the individual right of all citizens to keep and bear arms. Senator Clinton, on the hand, failed to grasp the importance of this critical issue to hunters and shooters and voted against this Amendment. She turned her back on America 's gun owners. In addition, Senator Obama's commitment to conservation and protection of our natural resources and access to public lands demonstrates to us his commitment to America 's hunting and shooting heritage. Senator Obama will be a strong and authentic voice for America 's hunters and shooters and it is with great pleasure that we endorse his candidacy.<br>
    <br>
    <br>
    Ray Schoenke<br>
    <br>
    Wednesday, April 16, 2008<br>

2. Brian in Oregon

And more frosting on the cake. This group wants to siphon members from the NRA.<br>
    <br>
    "New Pro-Gun Group Hopes to Draw From the NRA" The Washington Post, March 18, 2008<br>
    <br>
    The National Rifle Association always seems to have a target painted on its back. As one of Washington's most powerful and controversial interest groups, it is constantly dodging potshots from one group or another.<br>
    <br>
    Enter another group.<br>
    <br>
    The American Hunters and Shooters Association is the latest organization to try to dethrone the NRA as chief spokesman for people who care about guns. The association positions itself as an NRA alternative, a group that likes guns and those who shoot them but believes the NRA is too absolutist, especially when it comes to opposing almost any curb on the right to bear arms.<br>
    <br>
    "The NRA is extreme," says Ray Schoenke, the former Washington Redskins lineman and failed Democratic candidate for governor of Maryland who is president of the American Hunters and Shooters Association.<br>
    <br>
    As proof of his gun-toting credentials, Schoenke says he likes nothing better than heading to Maryland's Eastern Shore and shooting a duck, then cleaning it, cooking it and eating it. "I own guns," he boasts. "I have guns everywhere."<br>
    <br>
    Schoenke hopes this macho, carnivorous image will make pro-gun voters more open to accepting "common sense" limits on gun buying. Such changes can't be so bad, he wants gunners to say, if fellow enthusiasts also support them.<br>
    <br>
    Schoenke's association backs candidates for federal office who oppose an outright gun ban but who favor some restrictions, such as requiring background checks on people who purchase weapons at gun shows. In late 2006, in its nascent foray into gun politics, the association helped elect Claire McCaskill (D-Mo.) to the Senate by backing her against the NRA's favorite in the race, incumbent Jim Talent (R).<br>
    <br>
    The association plans to endorse many more candidates this year, concentrating on those who not only embrace modest forms of gun control but who also want to conserve the environment -- for hunters, of course. (The effort also is timely as the Supreme Court considers the fate of the District's gun ban.)<br>
    <br>
    The NRA scoffs at Schoenke's attempt. Andrew Arulanandam, an NRA spokesman, notes that the same approach was tried unsuccessfully eight years ago by a group called Americans for Gun Safety, which was bankrolled by Andrew J. McKelvey, the founder of the employment Web site Monster.com. After spending about $12 million to convince people that the issue was safety and not anti-gun legislation, the organization quietly disappeared.<br>
    <br>
    The NRA also asserts that Schoenke's association is a thinly veiled front for gun-control advocates, and offers as proof Schoenke's $5,000 donation to Handgun Control Inc., predecessor to the main anti-gun lobby, the Brady Campaign to Prevent Gun Violence. Schoenke rejects the assertion; he says he was only trying to help a cause important to his wife.<br>
    <br>
    Unfortunately for Schoenke, the Brady Campaign basically agrees with the NRA. "I see our issues as complementary to theirs," Paul Helmke, president of the Brady Campaign, says about Schoenke's association. "They're a positive group."<br>
    <br>
    Helmke even contends that the two organizations are not far apart in approach. Helmke says he, too, shot guns as a boy and is as Middle American as he can be -- a former Republican mayor of Fort Wayne, Ind. "The Brady Campaign is not just East Coast liberal Democrats," he says.<br>
    <br>
    So there, Ray Schoenke! Better watch out for the crossfire in this, the latest gun war.<br>

3. Brian in Oregon

AHSA wants McCain to be more anti-gun than he is.<br>
    <br>
    McCain on Background Checks at Gun Shows<br>
    “He was for it, before he was against it”<br>
    <br>
    AN OPEN LETTER TO NRA MEMBERS<br>
    <br>
    When Senator John McCain addresses NRA leaders at their convention today, we all need to ask where does he really stand on the important issue of background checks on all gun transfers at gun shows.<br>
    <br>
    In March of 2004, on the floor of the US Senate, Senator McCain delivered an impassioned plea for legislation to close the so-called “gun show loophole”.<br>
    <br>
    SENATOR MCCAIN: “Why do we need this amendment? Some might point to tragedies such as Columbine, but as horrific as the massacre at Columbine was, where eleven young people needlessly lost their lives, that is not what drives the need to close the gun-show loophole. We need this amendment because criminals and terrorists have exploited and are exploiting this very obvious loophole in our gun safety laws...”<br>
    <br>
    “We need this amendment because, according to the NRA [National Rifle Association], ‘hundreds of thousands’ of unlicensed firearms sales occur at gun shows each year. We need this amendment because ATF has identified gun shows as the second leading source of firearms recovered from illegal gun trafficking investigations...<br>
    <br>
    We also need this amendment because my law-abiding constituents who attend gun shows in Arizona should not have to rub shoulders with the scum of the Earth who use this loophole to evade background checks to buy firearms to peddle to God knows who.”<br>
    <br>
    And how could we all forget those movie theater ads featuring John McCain pleading to “close the gun show loophole”.<br>
    <br>
    Now, McCain argues that no new gun laws are needed.<br>
    <br>
    Has he changed his mind or has he had a “senior moment” and forgotten that he once was an outspoken national leader on this issue?<br>
    <br>
    Hunters and shooters deserve to know where the leader of the “Straight Talk Express” now stands on gun shows.<br>
    <br>
    So today, while Senator McCain panders to Wayne LaPierre and Chris Cox, Kentucky sportsmen need to call McCain’s Senate office at 202-224-2235 and ask where the Senator really stands on this important issue.<br>
    <br>
    Ray Schoenke,<br>
    President—American Hunters and Shooters Association<br>

4. bill1949

bill1949 Well-Known Member

Just a front organization for the gun banners...Bill

5. AveragEd

AveragEd Well-Known Member

If you boys need any more proof that what Brian is saying is true, you need to read what Senator Obama told me in his reply to my email asking about his stand on gun control. I was seeking data for my September column and one paragraph of that reply pretty much says it all.

"I will continue to work for effective gun laws, including reinstatement of
    the assault weapons ban that the last Congress allowed to expire, and
    effective law enforcement. I will also speak out against the culture of
    violence that traps so many of our young people."

In other words, he liked Slick Willy's ban that initially included your Beretta and Remington autoloading clay target guns and thinks that all the poor kids that get into trouble do so because of guns, not bad parenting. Now, is it just me or does good old B.O. sound a little tiny bit anti-gun?

Ed

6. crusha

crusha TS Member

Uh...Edward, he's a democrat.

7. AveragEd

AveragEd Well-Known Member

Yes, but some folks see that as a good thing.

Ed

8. Wilma Harris

Wilma Harris TS Member

Yes Averaged it is a good thing Obama is called a Democrat for to sit in Rev. Wrights church nodding your head to his rants complimented with a few hand claps from time to time, would be difficult to be called a Republican.

I could add that he has numerous other traits that clearly define him as a demoncrat but space is limited here.

9. lips

lips TS Member

In his books Obama has stated that in a crisis he will side with the Muslims and has modeled his life after his father disassociating himself with doing anything that identifys him with whites!

10. Hap MecTweaks

Hap MecTweaks Well-Known Member

Yeah, he'll protect it alright! That would be as bad as hiring the fox to guard the chicken coop! There's enough i-d-i-o-t-s buying his speaking ability to put him there too! Hap

11. mike moncilovich

mike moncilovich TS Member

Brian, just think, in a few days the Supreme Court will make all this crap mute. They are the keepers of the constitution and the bill of rights and are going to hand down their interpitation of the 2nd admendent. No problem "right" with a right wing court. And there's the Compact agreement with four states that could seccede if broken and join Canada. Whow, then we could have another civil war, crazy isn't it, and maybe we are too...Mike

12. timb99

timb99 Well-Known Member

Meanwhile, FBI violent crime statistics released yesterday showed a reduction in violent crime.

While lawful gun ownership has gone up, and the assault weapons ban is no longer in effect.

Kinda flies in the face of those who cling to the "more guns must mean more crime" mantra, dontcha think?

13. John Thompson

John Thompson TS Member

Obama is a modern Democrate. Democrates from Mass. to Calif. are and have been against our rights to own firearms. Anyone who believes otherwise is either naive, misinformed or ignorant of the past twenty years. Hitler did not want the germans to own guns. I think Obama is more dangerous to the USA than Hitler was. Noone loved Hitler

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.