1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Obama vs the Big Mac

Discussion in 'Uncategorized Threads' started by dave-320c, Aug 17, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. dave-320c

dave-320c Well-Known Member

Little off the subject, but saw the Warren event featuring the two Presidential candidates.
    My take: Obama comes off very well, intellectual, thoughtful, concerned and has charisma.
    The Big Mac did very well (as well), but came across more in touch with the common man; you might say "Reagan-like".
    My bet to as to who wins after we vote in secret at the polls:
    The Big Mac
    Off to trap and skeet.
    Best to all, of all opinions, on this site.
    Dave

2. fearlessfain

fearlessfain TS Member

did mccain say stay in iraq for 100 years?

3. Jollytrapshooter

Jollytrapshooter Member

I'm not defending Obama by any means here, but I just have to ask. Mr. Lapham, could you please post some sources to show where you found these claims as to what he plans on doing? Granted, he is about as far left as a presidential candidate can get, but I don't believe he would want to do ALL of that...Plus from what I have seen, he doesn't talk about gun control all, he CLAIMS that he would leave gun control issues as they are. But we all know that's not true...Josh

4. Ahab

Ahab Well-Known Member

JTS...how about this:

http://www.ibdeditorials.com/IBDArticles.aspx?id=302137342405551

It is a bit too long to post here...but good reading!

5. cubancigar2000

cubancigar2000 Well-Known Member

McCain had a chance to get out of the VN prison camp because his dad was an Admiral. He turned it down and stayed with his fellow soldiers. He paid a high price for that because the Viet Cong made it very hard on him. What does that tell you about his values? It means a lot to me as a Marine

6. BustClays

BustClays Member

McCain: Decisive.

Obama: Duh, uh, dat's above my pay scale yo, gotta ask my wife, my grandma and Ted Kennedy, yep!

bustclays

7. wdr-NY

wdr-NY TS Member

Jollytrapshooter,
    There are no sources that support CptRick's claims. I've seen them posted over the internet and they hold no water. Most often, Obama-haters cite a questionnaire from 1996 as the source for some off the wall ideas that they attribute to him.

CptRick, as for the Justices thing--Obama said that the only sitting Justice that he would not have nominated was Thomas and McCain said Breyer, Ginsburg, Souter and Stevens.

Walker

8. wdr-NY

wdr-NY TS Member

BustClays,
    Obama was referring to G-d when he said, "that decision is above my paygrade" in response to Pastor Warren's question about when does life actually begin.

My opinion on the forum is that McCain came off as more sincere and personal while Obama was more intellectual and academic.

Walker

9. JBrooks

JBrooks TS Member

"Asked at what point a baby gets “human rights,” Obama, who strongly supports abortion rights, said: “… whether you’re looking at it from a theological perspective or a scientific perspective, answering that question with specificity … is above my pay grade.”"

Most of the other questions that a President of the United States has to answer are also above this moron's "pay grade".

10. timb99

timb99 Well-Known Member

See the NRA link and their list of references.

11. JBrooks

JBrooks TS Member

"When it can live outside the womb works for me."

Right or wrong at least you provided an answer. Why can't Obama do that?

12. wdr-NY

wdr-NY TS Member

CaptRick,
    I have green eyes and yes, I have been paying attention. I said this before in an earlier post--I have the read the NRA report on Obama and his stance on guns. The problem with the report is that while they list twenty sources for their data, they actually only use two sources to back up the majority of their claims. The first is a questionnaire that Obama filled out in 1996--12 years ago (while he was teaching at the University of Chicago and preparing to attend a conference on gun laws and inner city violence)--the second is a piece written in the Washington Times that turns out to be more op-ed than expository.

I am no fan of the Clintons and while I'm a resident of New York, I did not vote for her in either Senate campaign--I did vote for Bill Clinton in 1996 but not in 1992.

I'm a registered Republican and I'm NRA... but that doesn't mean that I believe everything I read or trust everything I'm told even from those who are purported to be like-minded thinkers.

I really am having a great deal of difficulty understanding why some members of this forum are so angry and choose to resort to ad-hominem attacks rather than just address the issue of discussion. I think that you're original post is inaccurate, flawed and terribly mis-leading, but that doesn't make me want to call you names--it just makes me want to respond in a thoughtful manner. I'm trying to add to this discussion in the best way that I can.

Obama and McCain are much closer on the issue of gun-control than the NRA and some members of this group would like to admit. However, Obama is definitely more left when it comes to the issue than McCain. Obama has supported more gun-control measures than McCain has (especially during his 6 years as an Illinois Legislator). This is true and undeniable. My point here, however, is that doesn't give anyone the right--including the NRA--to play games with the truth. The only thing liberal in this thread is your distortion of the facts, CaptRick.

Here is the case against Obama if we're talking guns:

1) Obama was a member of the Board of Directors of the Joyce Foundation for eight years. This foundation handed out grants to over 1500 causes during his tenure there. Of those 1500 causes that the Joyce Foundation funded, 9 grants were aimed at funding ventures that were clearly anti-gun. One such grant funded the publication of a book entitled, “Every Handgun Is Aimed at You: The Case for Banning Handguns.” Obama sat on the board from 1996-2002. The foundation does not keep records on how individual members of the board voted on funding requests so we do not know whether or not Obama personally voted yes for these 9 funding requests--though many of the 1500 requests that the board voted on over Obama's eight-year tenure were approved unanimously.

You can read an entire article devoted to this specific subject on Politico.com here: http://www.politico.com/news/stories/0408/9722.html

“I have never favored an all-out ban on handguns. What I think we can provide is common-sense approaches to the issue of illegal guns that are ending up on the streets.” Barack Obama April 2008 during ABC Primary Debate.

The Politico article highlights Obama's indirect connection to some pretty anti-gun ideas but even the contributors to the article admit that the link is tenuous at best.

I HIGHLY recommend that everyone on this board read this article. It is not pro-Obama. In fact, it is quite the contrary. I ask you to read it because the facts are clearly laid out and no conclusions are drawn. It will be a refreshing reprieve from the rubbish found on this board and in this thread.

2) "Voted 'No' on letting people claim a self-defense protection in court for using a gun in their homes despite local weapons bans. (SB2165, 2004)" Obama voted against this measure not because he opposes an individuals right to protect him or herself, rather, he voted against the measure because of the far reaching implications the bill's wording would have on the right of individual municipalities to legislate their own gun-laws. Obama said, "That law eviscerated anti-handgun ordinances in some communities,...The way I feel, Wilmette should not determine Mattoon's firearms ordinances and Mattoon should not determine Wilmette's."

"Voted 'Yes' on letting retired police and military police carry concealed weapons. (SB2188, 2004)" This speaks for itself.

The supporting documentation for the above statements can be found from the Associated Press September 11, 2004 and in the Chicago Tribune from October 8, 2004. A summation can be found at: http://www.talkleft.com/story/2008/2/16/22186/4153

3) Barack Obama in an interview from April 22, 2007 on Radio Iowa said, "The problem that we've had is that the overwhelming majority of gun owners use those firearms safely, secure them properly and I think would be amenable to reasonable gun control laws. The NRA's attitude has been that any restriction is an infringement on the rights of gun owners and you know because of the breadth of their membership and the large amounts of money that they have at their disposal, I think they are oftentimes able to scare law-abiding gun owners into thinking that Democrats are going to take away their rights and part of what I think we have to communicate is that we are committed to maintaining the rights of lawful gun owners, but that doesn't contradict the need to keep guns out of the hands of the mentally ill or put limits on the accessibility of semi-automatic weapons or make sure that straw purchasers aren't dumping firearms into our inner cities."

The text of the entire interview can be found at http://learfield.typepad.com/radioiowa/2007/04/clinton_edwards.html

----The reality is that Barack Obama's real position on guns is pretty clear...
    He believes in an individual right to bear arms that is protected by the 2nd amendment.

He believes that while an individual's right to bear arms is protected, state and preferably local governments have the authority to restrict ownership where they see fit.

In nearly all cases he believes that guns should be regulated locally and not federally.

He is not determined to take away our guns, he is concerned with how and why illegal firearms find their way into the inner-city and are then used in crimes--mostly drug related--that work to tear down communities and destabilize local neighborhoods.

He thinks that the NRA is unfair in its assessment of candidates on guns and seeks to clarify misconceptions about his position on the issue--misconceptions that have found their way here.

I care whether or not a candidate wants to restrict my ability to shoot trap, hunt, fish and participate in other outdoor sports. I don't see any evidence that Barack Obama wants to do any of those things. On the contrary, I think his record, his statements and his writings support his claim that he is a pro-sportsmen candidate who will protect the right of individuals to bear arms.

Walker

13. oleolliedawg

oleolliedawg Banned User Banned TS Supporters

The choice is between a real man or a wussy-quite obvious to me!!

14. Bruce Specht

Bruce Specht Well-Known Member

All we can hope it that the Big Mac wins this thing

15. Paladin

Paladin Well-Known Member

I agree. Only a ignorant liberal troll like 2dumb/deckart would defend the liberal anti gun senator.

16. Paladin

2dumb/deckart,

"Same old $h!t" you say? This site has had to tolerate your same b.s. from four different names now. Leave!

17. wdr-NY

wdr-NY TS Member

Paladin,
    Why do you think 2str8 should leave? I think he gets ridiculous with the name calling and defensiveness, but his opinion should be accepted like all others. The fact that 2str8 has views that are opposed to the majority here is one that should be embraced, not ridiculed and ostracized.

Walker

18. Paladin

2dumb/deckart,

How did you shoot at the Grand this year????

Oh, that's right,,you don't shoot. You just post your Mec post and your Red Dot 700X post, and oh, when are you going to post your Winchester 101 post?? LMAO.

19. Paladin

"is one that should be embraced"

B.S.

This country doesn't need anything of the sort. That, is the cancer that needs to be cut out and removed. Period.

20. wdr-NY

wdr-NY TS Member

"This country doesn't need anything of the sort. That, is the cancer that needs to be cut out and removed. Period."

Yikes,
    I see... thanks for responding. Just so I'm clear, what exactly is the cancer--2str8 or his ideological position?

Walker

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.