1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Obama Veterans and Drinking

Discussion in 'Uncategorized Threads' started by thorman75, Mar 17, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. thorman75

thorman75 TS Member

Preidential hopeful B Obama stated that he will help the country's Veterans but when asked by a group of Veterans to lower the drinking age to 18 he said no way, citing drunk driving. BS. If you are serving your country and can PROVE it, then you should be able to have a beer if you want to. If some other 18 yo wants to drink then let him raise his right hand go thru 16+ weeks of basic and ait then serve in some 3rd world cess pool. Trained to kill at 300+ meters but have a beer ohhh no you cant do that little Johnny.I myself knew if I wanted a beer all I had to do while I was on leave was put on my Khakis and walk into any American Legion, heck I dont remember ever paying let alone worrying about my age.But the Vets are right if theyre home on leave they should be able to throw back a few, tell me they havent earned it, I dont care how old they are!

2. Jim101

Jim101 Active Member

Absolutely!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

3. KenC

KenC Member

Veteran or not, most 18 yos aren't very responsible drinkers. I can recall my own pre 21 drinking (in the Navy by the way) and it wasn't very pretty, nor were the majority of my shipmates, regardless of their age.

Sure, it would be nice to come home on leave and 'have a couple', but it usually doesn't end with just 'a couple'.

Yes, 18 yos in the military deserve to be cut some slack in a lot of areas but not on the drinking age. Our servicemen are very professional and disciplined when they are on the job and under the supervision of NCOs & Officers. But when they're on their own they're no different from any other person of that age.

4. thorman75

thorman75 TS Member

Sorry but I dont agree, maybe you were out at sea too long. As a former Military Policeman stationed at the largest military installation in the world (Ft Hood Texas) I never arrested anyone for DUI and as far as PI if someone was out of line all it took was a threat to call their company 1SGT to pull them back in line.Using your logic we should change the age of entry to 21, 18 is too young to make a decision that could get you killed.
    Bill Sanders
    411th MP Company
    77-80
    12th SFGA
    80-81

5. ArmyMechanic

ArmyMechanic Member

If that person can put is life on the line in "Defense" of our country (I use that term oh so loosely these days) then that SOLDIER, MARINE, sailor or airman, should be allowed to drink a beer. I agree with Bill Sanders. I still remember when the drinking age was 18, there were issues but not nearly as many as with the illegal "underage" drinking issues we have now. And lets be honest.. this wasnt a safety concern so much as a way to generate REVENUE for the localities and municipalities.

So if vets cant drink, then 18-20 year olds cant VOTE.. hows that sound?? especially in the inner cities where whitey is keeping them down!!

6. larryjk

larryjk Member

Obama Veterans and Drinking
    When my son was 20 and home on leave from the USS Buffalo (SSN), where he served as a nuclear operator, we went to a nice upscale tavern in southwest Denver for dinner before I took him to the airport to fly back to Hawaii. I ordered a beer for a beverage and the waitress asked if he was old enough! I said he serves aboard a nuclear submarine and she asked, "Sir, what would one of our fighting men like?" She brought him what he asked for.
    The submariners drank a lot when they were "up", but they kept their noses clean. One brush with the law and they were busted to the surface. Too bad they don't do that with civilians working at nuclear facilities!

7. Shooting Coach

Shooting Coach Well-Known Member

I did not remember seeing that the Honorable Senator Obama served our Country! He surely is qualified to make judgements on our military.

Surely I missed that tidbit of info. LOL

8. porky

porky TS Member

Why not let the 18-20 year olds drink all they want when they are on base, but when they leave the base, they have to abide with the laws that everyone else does in that state.

I agree that 18-20 year old people can be problem drinkers. In today's society, it is very likely that people with drinking problems would become epidemic is left to their own. I think that we are seeing that with the gambling on line more and more. Young men and women aren't able to discern all that is bad for them. I think that lack of responsibility is a major cause.

9. BIGDON

BIGDON Well-Known Member

Absolute BS. They are as responsible as anyone else. They are just watched more. If they can come out of High School with all the crap that is available why would they be irresponsible with alcohol. Irresponsibility doesn't have a age limit.

If you can drive, vote, contract and put your butt on the line you can surely have a beer.

Don

10. j2jake

j2jake Well-Known Member

As far as voting goes there is a large segment of today's population that is inept! Just look at today's crop of politicians!! A person old enough to put their life on the line in defense of this country is certainly deserving of alcohol treats. Jake, Ret Army 1SG.

11. SF SGM

SF SGM Member

When I enlisted in 1967, I was old enough to sign a contract, learn the skills reguired to fight and to lead men in combat. To make life and death choices for not only myself but those on my team as well. I spent two tours in RVN before I was old enough to have a nice Scotch and water. Drink, I did drink,on base only!

When I returned from my first trip from RVN, I could not buy a beer in the San Francisco airport but a civilian bought me one. When I got home, I could not drink. I was told so so many times that 21 was the magic age for becoming an adult. Funny isn't it? Not old enough to drink, nor vote for those who decide where I went and fought but yet, I was old enough to go to war, to lead men in combat, to be wounded and yet, I could pay income tax, so much for taxation without reprentation!

Van, Retired U.S. Army, SGM

12. thorman75

thorman75 TS Member

Well Jake I dont have to tell you what one of your troops and/or NCO's would have experienced if I had to call you at 0100 from the post NCO club to say one of them was acting foolishly. I myself would rather go to the stockade as face a PO'ed 1SGT at 0100.The Services should have their own rules, in a way we always did take care of each other, hell we had too. "Of the Troops and for the Troops". I'm retired now and going to school full time(IUPUI/Nursing) as soon as I graduate it's over to the VA hospital for me.I'm on full scholarship(Purple Heart,My Father) and this is my way of giving back. I will do all I can to help these Veterans.

13. grnberetcj

grnberetcj Active Member

Van...

I'm in your boat too....

Went to VN in Jan. '66 and was not 21 yrs. old when the '66 elections came around. My Major (B-Team) laughed when he advised that I could not fill out the absentee ballot.

I agree that in civilian life maybe 21 is the magic number, but in the military all bets should be off and left to the discretion off the C.O.

Curt

14. thorman75

thorman75 TS Member

Heck with the 1SGT get Battalion on the line, get the Command Sergeant Major over here. I wouldn't want to be there for that one. Here's a good one, I was short getting ready to ETS, my 1SGT at the time, CMH winner Nicky Bacon puts me on CQ. I report to the orderly room as he is leaving he leans a baseball bat in the corner of the door and says "Call me if you need me". Now that was great Top.

15. fdiesel

fdiesel Member

I too believe that if you feel they are responsible to give them a rifle, they should defintely be responsible enough to have a beer!

16. ArmyMechanic

ArmyMechanic Member

They repealled the drinking on base years ago.. just like the banned the "liquid" lunches... most officers and senior enlisted in the miltary anymore are nothing more than a bunch of micro politicians.. I have gotten numerous phone calls at 1 am go go get one of my soldiers that was "acting" up.. Including a few to get my "1sg" acting a fool isnt limited to just kids.. most people under alchohol do... hell I remember getting my butt chewing from the 1st and Commander many times at 2 am while I was in Germany...lol

If your gonna act a fool your gonna act a fool... some do it without the liquor...

But i strongly feel that any kid that is putting it out there should be allowed a beer or two...

HT

17. tomk2

tomk2 Member

Considering that a common "coming of age" ritual is to arrive at the bar at 12:01 on your 21st birthday and attempt to down 21 shots of liquor before closing time, it seems only responsible to lower the drinking age. After all, how many lives will be saved by only attempting 18 shots instead of 21?

18. drh08

drh08 TS Member

Drinking at 21 or 18 and serving in the military. Please explain why it's so important to be able to drink alcohol? This thread is trying to prove a point and I am not seeing it. It's like we we are refusing to give out candy to someone here. Now that being said, I have no problem with lowering the drinking age to 18 for everyone. I don't believe in making an exception for service to the military. There are plenty of jobs that young people do that risk their lives in this country that you could argue the same thing. Lets see old enough to risk lives fighting fires but not drink. Old enough to be a cop on the beat dealing with the scum of society but not drink, why is the military so different.

19. BIGDON

BIGDON Well-Known Member

drh08; There is a major difference and if you don't know what it is now, telling you will not change anything. One question whose bed does a cop or fireman sleep in??

Don

20. thorman75

thorman75 TS Member

Being able to drink at 18-20 is not the problem, being told you can't is the problem.Answer me this " Why cant a member of the Military have a beer?" Is he too young,inept, not mature enough,unable to handle the pressure. And honestly I dont see how you can compare being a Firefighter or Police Officer in this country is the same as being in a war zone. Up until last semester and for the last 2 years I was going to IU/N GARY Indiana, I didn't hear of any road side bombs going off or suicide bombers blowing themselves up.
    Beer Beer Beer said the Private, where's my 3 day pass said the Corporal......

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.