1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Obama & Treaty With Russia

Discussion in 'Politics, Elections & Legislation' started by BT-100dc, Jul 8, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. BT-100dc

BT-100dc Active Member

After reading the little-known document that is called the U.S. Constitution, any treaties that a President makes must be with the advice and consent as long as 2/3 of the Senate concurs (yes, it's in there- Article II, Section 2, Clause 2). Just wondering why this appears not to be followed. Now to discuss the merits, why, why would we make a treaty when the Unites States has a clear advantage. Now does anyone out there know what we're getting from it? Hopefully, not just getting screwed. Feel free to enlighten me. BT-100dc

2. jimrich60

jimrich60 Member

First of all, I have seen nothing that indicates Obama is negotiating or agreeing to a formal "treaty" with Russia. Just an agreement to continue reducing nuclear warheads (which is already covered by long ago treaties such as SALT and START. As for what we get, why "hope and change" of course, what else. Seriously, if both the U.S and Russia did actually reduce nuclear weapons, we would actually come out a bit ahead since that would, in theory, place more reliance on "conventional" weapons, an area we vastly outstrip Russia in capabilities. Unfortunately, the agreement, if followed as I understand it so far, would reduce such weapons systems as bombers and cruise missiles, systems which have great conventional capabilities and uses for us as well as nuclear, and this would hurt our world wide conventional response capabilities. Subs as well. But what does Obama care about that-or really, the U.S.?

Jim R

3. nspktr1

nspktr1 TS Member

Didn't Salt II supersede Start?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.