1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Obama to Host Rapper at Poetry Night!

Discussion in 'Politics, Elections & Legislation' started by Luckyman, May 11, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Luckyman

Luckyman Active Member

While Laure Bush celebrated our greatest poets such as Emily Dickinson, Langston Hughes and Walt Whitman Nichele Obama is having a rapper named " Common" to the whitehouse.." Common " is a rapper from Chicago that spent his life in the pues of Rev Wright since he was 8 years old...THESE PEOPLE ARE F-N DISGRACES TO THIS COUNTRY AND DON'T DESERVE TO BE IN THE WHITEHOUSE!!!!!

Tomorrow the White House will host a special evening in celebration of American poetry and prose. Among the poets, musicians, and artists who will attend is controversial rapper, Common (photo, left).

Others to be honored at the event scheduled by First Lady Michelle Obama are Elizabeth Alexander, Billy Collins, Rita Dove, Kenneth Goldsmith, Alison Knowles, Aimee Mann, and Jill Scott, all of whom will be reading, singing, or otherwise celebrating the influence of prose and poetry on the American culture.

Lonnie Rashid Lynn, Jr., better known as “Common,” may provide a jarring note at the event. The New Hampshire Journal reports:
    Some of Common’s poetry could also raise some eyebrows among those who might find cop-killing and racially-tinged language or misogynist language beneath the Office of the Presidency.

Common is known for controversial lyrics such as “Tell the law my Uzi weighs a ton … I hold up a peace sign but I carry a gun.”

Common’s hiphop lyrics are characterized by messages of racism and are generally anti-law enforcement. Policelink.com explains:

Lynn’s divisive lyrics about gun violence, shooting police, and even for burning the president (who at the time was George W. Bush), make him a controversial choice for the White House. “Burn a Bush cos for peace he no push no button,” he raps on a YouTube video with more than 800,000 views.

The Examiner reports that Common is also a supporter of convicted cop killer Mumia Abu-Jamal, a member of the Black Panther Party who was sentenced in 1981 for the killing of a Philadelphia police officer.

Additionally, Lynn named his daughter after Assata Shakur, in honor of the radical Black Panther activist who was found guilty of first-degree murder and fled to Cuba after escaping prison.

Apparently President Obama and Common are members of the same church, Trinity United Church of Christ, where the controversial Reverend Jeremiah Wright has delivered a number of divisive sermons. The New Hampshire Journal reports:

Several of Wright’s sermons caused a firestorm of controversy during the 2008 presidential campaign due to their caustic, racially charged, anti-American tones. One sermon in particular caused Obama a severe headache — the one in which he blamed America for Osama bin Laden’s terrorist attacks. "America’s chickens are coming home to roost," he said.

When President Obama did his best to repudiate the minister's sermons and distance himself from his long-time pastor during the 2008 presidential campaign, Common came to Reverend Wright’s defense, declaring:

What I picked up from the pews … was messages of love. Anything that was going on against that love he would acknowledge and expose. He’s been a preacher that’s helped raise one of the greatest political figures in the world, and hopefully, the next President.

Referring to himself, Common added, “He’s also raised one of the greatest rappers in the world.”

The New Hampshire Journal contends that it is likely President Obama met Common at the church.

Perhaps the most disturbing aspect of the rapper's presence at the White House function is that the First Lady will be hosting an afternoon workshop for students across the country so that they may learn from the night’s performers.

This is not the first time the Obama administration has shown an affinity for musicians with a generally anti-law enforcement philosophy. In 2010, President Obama hosted Brooklyn, New York, rapper Jay-Z at the White House. Prior to the visit, Jay-Z told British talk-show host Jonathan Ross that he had been invited to the White House by the Obama administration “a couple of times.”

Jay-Z is also known for controversial lyrics of a misogynistic and anti-law enforcement nature. In his song "99 Problems," for example, the rapper describes what he asserts is a typical traffic stop between a police officer and a black male:

In my rear view mirror is the mother f****ng law.
    I got two choices y'all, pull over the car or
    bounce on the double, put the pedal to the floor.
    Now I ain't trying to see no highway chase with jake,
    Plus I got a few dollars, I can fight the case.
    So I ... pull over to the side of the road,
    And I heard "Son, do you know why I'm stopping you for?"
    Cause I'm young and I'm black and my hat's real low —
    Do I look like a mind reader, sir? I don't know.
    Am I under arrest or should I guess some mo'?
    "Well you was doing fifty five in a fifty four,"
    "License and registration and step out of the car."
    "Are you carrying a weapon on you? I know alot of you are."
    I ain't steppin' out of s**t — all my papers legit.
    "Do you mind if I look round the car a little bit?"
    Well my glove compartment is locked, so is the trunk and the back,
    And I know my rights, so you gon' need a warrant for that.
    "Aren't you sharp as a tack? Are you some type of lawyer or somethin'?"
    "Or somebody important or somethin'?"
    Nah, I ain't passed the bar, but I know a little bit —
    Enough that you won't illegally search my s**t.

During an interview with Rolling Stone magazine, President Obama admitted that his iPod holds songs from Jay-Z, as well as from rapper Nas, whose song “Middle Finger” repeats, “Cops keep firing in my environment, Middle finger to the law ni**er gripping my b**ls.”

Perhaps the President feels a kinship with others who are highly critical of law enforcement. After all, in 2009, Obama revealed his own bias against law enforcement. When asked about the iconic arrest of Harvard professor Henry Louis Gates, Jr. for disorderly conduct, Obama admitted that he did not know all the details of the incident. Nevertheless, he still commented, "I don’t know — not having been there and not seeing all the facts — what role race played in that, but I think it’s fair to say, number one, any of us would be pretty angry; number two, that the Cambridge police acted stupidly in arresting somebody when there was already proof that they were in their own home." Obama noted that Gates was a friend of his, adding, “so I may be a little biased here. I don’t know all the facts.”

Obama certainly has a right to his own personal musical preferences, but when the White House publicly honors such individuals as Common and Jay-Z, it is placing the imprimatur of the office of President of the United States on their words and actions.

2. Luckyman

Luckyman Active Member

If this doesn't make you sick your either a liberal or don't have a pulse!!! This president is hosting a rapper that talks about setting president Bush on Fire!! ONCE AGAIN ARE YOU F-N KIDDING ME! Now lets compare what the two administrations value as far a poetic license goes...

Here’s an opportunity to relive your high-school poetry classes.

First Lady Michelle Obama has scheduled a poetry evening for Wednesday, and she’s invited several poets, including a successful Chicago poet and rapper, Lonnie Rashid Lynn, Jr., AKA “Common.” However, Lynn is quite controversial, in part because his poetry includes threats to shoot police and at least one passage calling for the “burn[ing]” of then-President George W. Bush.
    Here is more on the subject like specific lyrics! Every single day that goes by I become more and more sickened by what I see!!! Are these people really that arrogant to disgrace the highest office in the world like this and think it's o.k with the American People? There are lyrics that actually talk about "Burning Bush" or perpetrating voilence against one of our Presidents!!

Back in 2003, First Lady Laura Bush held a poetry evening, and she invited several poets to reprise the work of Emily Dickinson, Langston Hughes and Walt Whitman. Although none of those poets had urged violence against a president, Bush canceled the event after left-of-center poets protested and threatened to disrupt the event.

Here’s a sample of Dickinson’s work that could have been presented at Bush’s event:

I’m nobody! Who are you?

I’m nobody! Who are you?

Are you nobody, too?

Then there’s a pair of us — don’t tell!

They’d banish us, you know.

How dreary to be somebody!

How public, like a frog

To tell your name the livelong day

To an admiring bog!

Here’s a sample of Common’s work, transcribed from a 2007 video with 837,613 viewers on YouTube. Students, please compare and contrast the two poems. You’ll get extra credit for counting the death threats. There is no extra credit for identifying spelling errors. By the way, ‘Uzi’ is slang for a compact machine gun:

A Letter to the Law

Dem boy wanna talk… [indistinguishable]

Whatcha gon do if ya got one gun?

I sing a song for the hero unsung

with faces on the mural of the revolution

No looking back cos’ in back is what’s done

Tell the preacher, God got more than one son

Tell the law, my Uzi weighs a ton

I walk like a warrior,

from them I won’t run

On the streets, they try to beat us like a drum

In Cincinnati, another brother hung

A guinea won’t see the sun

with his family stung

They want us to hold justice

but you handed me none

The same they did to Kobe and Michael Jackson

make them the main attraction

Turn around and attack them

Black gem in the rough

You’re rugged enough

Use your mind and nine-power, get the government touch

Them boys chat-chat on how him pop gun

I got the black strap to make the cops run

They watching me, I’m watching them

Them dick boys got a lock of cock in them

My people on the block got a lot of pok* in them

and when we roll together

we be rocking them to sleep

No time for that, because there’s things to be done

Stay true to what I do so the youth dream come

from project building

Seeing a fiend being hung

With that happening, why they messing with Saddam?

Burn a Bush cos’ for peace he no push no button

Killing over oil and grease

no weapons of destruction

How can we follow a leader when this a corrupt one

The government’s a g-unit and they might buck young black people

Black people In the urban area one

I hold up a peace sign, but I carry a gun.

Peace, ya’ll.”

The First Lady’s office did not return a call from TheDC.

3. TOOLMAKER 251

TOOLMAKER 251 Active Member

It would be nice if they could also invite David Allen Coe to the white house to sing a few of his colorful songs.

4. Recoil Sissy

Recoil Sissy Well-Known Member

Either Obummer understood what he was inviting to the WH in the person of Lonnie Rashid Lynn, Jr. or the invitation was unintentional error. If it was an error, Obummer can rectify it by withdrawing the invitation. Otherwise, we'll know this is a case of water seeking it's own level.

sissy

5. birddogs46

birddogs46 Active Member

that rap crap, is one of the reasons, the major cities in this country are virtually combat zones, let the gang bangers shoot the hell outta each other over their dope, and the liberals want to dis arm everyone that is law abiding, if obama is elected in 2012, the gun control bs will be a top priorty in the next fiasco of his undertaking, just my imho.............dk

6. sliverbulletexpress

sliverbulletexpress TS Member

I'm no rap fan but if you want a taste of what "Common" is click the link to his best work. Some things just don't change and that's all I'm gonna say.

7. mixer

mixer Well-Known Member

It's fairly well known in the "rap" music business that the lyrics to almost all of the songs are specifically written to antagonize the establishment and appeal to a specific audience. It's all about the money.

Eric

8. sernv99

sernv99 Active Member

ya know what's funny? The majority of buyers of rap music are white people LMAO

so what are you going to do about that Luckycharms? Oh boy, I bet you are really foaming at the mouth now huh, white people supporting these black rap artists. You have no argument on this one Luckycharms, just suck it up and accept reality.

9. Luckyman

Luckyman Active Member

There are all of my liberal fools coming to their defense once again!!! LOL!!!You people are a downright disgrace!!!!

10. Recoil Sissy

Recoil Sissy Well-Known Member

We have an answer - water seeking its' own level.

11. Luckyman

Luckyman Active Member

So now Fox holds credibility with the Whitehouse? LOL! Are these people for real? Did they really use Fox to support their case? I am still in shock! This goes to show you these people will say or do anything!!! Even quote a network they have been having a personal war with for over two years just to support their argument. Just when I thought I couldn't be more sickened!

They are a disgrace just like their voting base!!!

12. SirMissalott

SirMissalott Active Member

You can't be surprised!!! remember the good Mayor of DC and all his exploits!

13. K-EIGHTY

K-EIGHTY Member

Bob Dylan, Neil Young, John Lennon and many other true genius artists were heavily criticized when they wrote songs that were "anti-establishment." The more things change, the more they stay the same. Imagine the uproar if Nixon had invited Dylan to perform at the White house.

14. K-EIGHTY

K-EIGHTY Member

In 1991 a rapper named "EZZE" was invited to the Bush White House. Check out some of his cop killing lyrics. What goes around comes around. That George H. W. Bush sure was a radical dude.

15. over/under

over/under Member

Clapton did tho, I shot the sheriff. LOL LOL Oreilly's guest last night summed it up. Shows the liberal mindset to equate the 2. I bet Colmes would agree LOL LOL.

16. b12

b12 Well-Known Member

Even a Liberal must thinkk he is a scumbag sob. Obama is the lowest life oiece of sht that could have ever walked on US soil.
    Come on you stupid ass liberals wake up. He will push you scumbed ass over the edge and already has.
    Maybe Trump won't be the best choice as some think but what we need is a hair trigger that will follow thru with what he says, and these forigen countries will be to scared to set the trigger off. Wild Bill

17. BAD 303

BAD 303 Active Member

Would he get the invite if he sang about burning Hussein? Or whacking Obama? Or rapping about banging Michelle by bell HO?

18. Luckyman

Luckyman Active Member

Yeah what about a white supremest rock band that talks about burning or even hanging Obama..All in the name of poetic licence! Would they overlook that? The rapper Common is nothing no better than a Nazi in his own right preaching violence and hatred....But he is described by the administration as a Social Conscious Rapper not a Gangster Rapper so it's o.k. for him to talk about killing cops and setting one of our Presidents on fire! When I heard that come out of the Obama's press secretary's mouth yesterday I almost threw up!!!

Wonder what the reaction would be?? Again...Are these people for real? Their thought process goes against the grain of common sense and decency in every aspect with just about every decision they make on just about every subject imaginable!!!

19. sliverbulletexpress

sliverbulletexpress TS Member

GW even had Ozzie over!!! " Mom likes your stuff" LOL

20. Baron23

Baron23 Well-Known Member

I don't know anything about rap and don't really want to.

I more prefered songs like "Street Fighting Man" sung by Sir Michael Philip "Mick" Jagger. LOL

"Everywhere I hear the sound of marching, charging feet, boy
    Cause summers here and the time is right for fighting in the street, boy"

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.