1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Obama teachers and Unions

Discussion in 'Politics, Elections & Legislation' started by g7777777, Sep 12, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. g7777777

g7777777 TS Supporters TS Supporters

Jan 29, 1998
    Obama should condemn the strike - plain and simple- and if they were federal employees he should fire every one of them. Which they arent.

Here is my response to one of my HS classmates that didnt like my math on Chicago teacher compensation

***** I don’t disagree with the fact that some teachers are much better than others. I do disagree with conferring sainthood on all teachers. I will also say that the good teachers in America have shirked’ in most cases’ their moral duty by not confronting their peers and teachers union on this no measurement stand. I also don’t like the math or implications of that math when you discuss how much more teachers work compared to other Americans. What you are claiming is that teachers each do 4 hours of work outside the classroom ever single day of the academic year and don’t get compensated for that. Well we know that there is other compensation for team coaches and other categories of extra duties depending on your school district but I want to look at that number. There might be 25 percent or ¼ of teachers that do take work home “most” nights but not every night. The implication of that is that they are working 12 hour days “most” days for 9 months of the year. I would tell you I cant remember ever working a 12 hour day in a military or a civilian job until I opened my own office. My sense of duty required working a lot more hours than that, whatever was needed to get the job done. Some Americans work 2 jobs 12 months of the year. So while I think it is admirable that some teachers work 12 hour days I recognized that varies considerably by motivation, grade you teach, geography and other demographics. I also realize many teachers work other jobs in the summer or enjoy an extended time off. This failure to agree on measuring work performance of teachers is one of the things holding education reform back in America . I will stand by the numbers I posted concerning the compensation of Chicago teachers and the extremely poor performance of their students. I will also condemn Chicago teachers for being on strike. How dare they not go to work and teach? I don’t see a lot of difference between teachers and firefighters in that regard. The teaching union knows that many parents use school as child care so also know that by shutting the schools with a strike they are shutting down the economy.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.