1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Obama screwing military retirees

Discussion in 'Politics, Elections & Legislation' started by 635 G, Feb 22, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. 635 G

635 G Well-Known Member

It almost impossible to get non generic drugs from Tricare, thanx to recent budget cuts. My wife just got a note from express scripts. In the Villages there are lots of military retirees & this problem was higlighted in the local newspaper.

Anyone but Obumma.

Phil Berkowitz

2. Joe Potosky

Joe Potosky Well-Known Member

Generic Drug Use Policy

It is DoD policy to use generic medications instead of brand-name medications whenever possible. A brand-name drug with a generic equivalent may be dispensed only after the prescribing physician completes a clinical assessment that indicates the brand-name drug is medically necessary and after Express Scripts grants approval. If your patient requires a brand-name medication that has a generic equivalent, you must obtain prior authorization. Otherwise, the patient may be responsible for the entire cost of the medication.

If a generic-equivalent drug does not exist, the brand-name drug is dispensed at the brand-name cost.

3. 635 G

635 G Well-Known Member

My wife's Doc requested no generic for her. The generic doesn't work the same.

Phil Berkowitz

4. likes-to-shoot

likes-to-shoot Well-Known Member

Well, did you get prior authorization? How long had this policy been in effect?

I'm not retired military but my prescription policy is the same and has been before Obama was elected to office. Not that I'm defending him but whats right is right. In fact now that Lipitor has a generic my provider called and I went to the doctor and got authorization for the generic. No hassle, no missed medicine.

5. Jerry944t

Jerry944t Well-Known Member

It's that way with any insurance company and it's been that way for a long time.

Guess what. The sun is going to set in the west today. Obama's fault?

The blame game exceeds all rational thinking on this site.

6. g7777777

g7777777 TS Supporters TS Supporters

I dont see a problem with this.

Just saying that the Generic doesnt work the same doesnt make it so.

It is a huge system and with it go limits.

Regards from Iowa

Gene

7. cubancigar2000

cubancigar2000 Well-Known Member

The pharmcy always asks me if we want generic, they dont ask my doctor. I always say yes

8. gdbabin

gdbabin TS Member

What recent budget cuts? There are proposed plans, but none that have affected your pills Phil.

How many of you have seen the Pentagon's plans for Tricare Prime rate increases? No grandfathering, no exemptions, just bam--anywhere from 30 to 78%!

The executive office is the least of our worries as far as the personal costs of military retiree healthcare goes.

DOD has been pushing for a while now to jack up the costs for retiree healthcare. So far Congress has resisted the pentagon's plans on our behalf.

Guy Babin

9. g7777777

Lets portray that in a more accurate way?

Tri care prime is now at a tremendous low- sure we dont want it to raise but when you only pay $460 dollars a year for it- s 30 or even an 80 percent increase doesnt seem like a lot compared to what normal civilians have to contribute- again I am against it but lets talk about the numbers.

And you dont have to take prime- Prime is an option-

Now as far as money- DOD tries to raise health care fees for retirees so it can clothe and arm and protect the active duty and reserve forces in harms way.

The pot of money is finite- and it all comes out of that pot.

I for one want the people in harms way to have what they need.

Regards from Iowa

Gene

10. BigM-Perazzi

BigM-Perazzi Well-Known Member

standard insurance requirement now.

Hell, Mine won't even pay for acid reflux meds anymore.. pay thru the nose for OTC....

11. Shooting Jack

Shooting Jack Active Member

I use Tricare prime so I don't have to drive 48 miles one way to see a doctor. I am also on express scripts and anyone that has used it lately knows that the price of meds went up. My two meds are normally twelve dollars and got my credit card statement and it is now twenty five for the same meds. Jackie B.

12. porky

porky TS Member

Bozo need the money for Air Force 1 and the other planes that are needed for all of his vacations and other junkets.

13. 635 G

635 G Well-Known Member

All I know my wife was able to get a specific non generic drug for the last 3 years, they just renewed it with a generic it doesn't work. Her doc scriptsaid no generic on it. She & her doc are now having to jump thru hoops, to get her what works.

Phil Berkowitz

14. gdbabin

gdbabin TS Member

Gene,

My wife and I and the rest of the retirees out there are far from "normal" civilians. You are correct our health care is a bargain. So are our pension checks for the rest of our lives--As it should be.

My point missed (lost) on you that I tried to make for Phil, is that it's not the executive branch driving his perceived problem, and also that Phil's budget cut reality is yet realized.

He has other places he should be pointing blame; or more productively, seeking rational resolution.

I have hypersensitive rhetoric radar, no matter its source.

Guy B.

15. j2jake

j2jake Well-Known Member

Phil have the Dr submitt the Rx using the supplied fax form. I get the real Mc Coy no problem. Have to because the base will not dispense the other. A little hastle at first but since I've learned the system it works great. Jake

16. g7777777

Guy you clearly didnt read my response.

My response is based on how the process works and really the President does not reach down and touch DOD health care allocations.

DoD proposes the budget and then it goes through the congressional process. Notice I stated there is a finite amount of money in that budget so warfighters get priority on the DOD proposals. Sure DOD hopes they will get extra money above and beyond their request so that bad stuff doesnt happen to the retired force but it is not a mistake DOD is making.

I have always had a problem with DOD offering up health care for retired people first but I also understand that arming and training and protecting the people that are on the front line in danger is more important.

Now as has been pointed out above-generics do work and if your doctor doesnt believe they work and you want something several times as expensive you put in the required paper work to justify that- I dont see the problem

Regards from Iowa

Gene

17. grunt

grunt TS Supporters TS Supporters

Gene, When did you retire from the military? Dave

18. g7777777

Dave--- 1970-1996

I didnt argue this is a retiree though- in fact I am not really arguing it other than to explain that this is something tht happens all the time and it is because this cost is in the DOD budget. It litterally happens every single year regardless of what party or administration is in office.

I guess also that I dont have problems with Generic drug savings at all or requiring justifications if you want more expensive name drugs just like any health care program does.

In the VA medical system the veterans- although the vast majority arent retired some are- get what the VA has and they go to VA doctors and not doctors of their own choice or locally.

As far as tri care prime- it is optional coverage and not everyone can even sign up for it.

Gene Nosco

US Army Retired

19. 635 G

635 G Well-Known Member

Thanks Jake--you described what is the new procedure.

Phil Berkowitz

20. gdbabin

gdbabin TS Member

What new procedure Phil? It has been the same for decades now.

I'm glad we agree Gene.. simply stated differently.

Guy

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.